Home Sports Talk

Cowboys vs Eagles - The thread

2»

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    DD congrats on your beautiful brand new avatar.

Frankly, I think it's the prettiest avatar on the forum.

Yeah, thanks a lot!

That game certainly lived up to the hype, it all came down to just what, six yards? It doesn't get any better than that. I'm looking forward to the rematch, in Big D!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2023 6:13PM

@2dueces said:
    If you think that Dak Prescott can lead a team to any place but mediocrity you need:
    A. Glasses
    B. A physiatrist
    C. The book, “Football for Dummies”

A. Steps out of bounds on the two point conversion
    B. Philadelphia gifts Dallas with penalties
    A 1st and goal at the 6 with 26 seconds left.
    C. Makes the only play you can’t, a sack
    D. On second down does he spike it? Hikes it with no play called and everyone go long.
    E. Delay of game.
    F. Throws short of the end zone.

Prove me wrong?

the Cowboys are fraudulent and so is their QB. i've been saying it forever. when it's 1st and goal from the 6 with enough time for 4 shots to win a game, an NFL defense is dead in the water against a top-tier QB. but when it's a Prescott-led Cowboys team, what you just witnessed happens.

I'll continue to say this until he's gone......they'll never win an SB as long as he's the quarterback

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

This loss basically ends Dallas's season for all intents and purposes. It gives Philly a commanding division lead with now a tiebreaker advantage. And wildcard will be unlikely for the Cowboys also. It's the same self destruction year after year under Jerry Jones leadership. So many little things not being done did us in today. But that's par for the course for a Jerry Jones team the past 27 years. Lack of strong leadership and a bevy of yes man coaches that Jerry controls like puppets. And players see this. I have even noticed the body language of Micah Parsons the past few games slipping away, that confidence seems to be gone in his game.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    That game certainly lived up to the hype, it all came down to just what, six yards? It doesn't get any better than that. I'm looking forward to the rematch, in Big D!

It definitely did but it's sort of spoiled by the way it ended, I didn't care who won really but to see Dak fold like a cheap tent like that was almost predictable

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I know that I am kind of old school in many ways.

But I do not like the trend of not taking points.

Let's say, theoretically, you are down 11 in the 4th. And you are in the red zone, or close enough, and it's 4th and 1. Why not take the FG. Go down by 8. If you don't pick up the TD, you are still down 11, and you might find that...

You get the ball back, and you are still down 11. You score a TD. Now you feel pressured to get the 2 points, and maybe you don't get it. I stand by the assessment that it is easier to pick up a 2 pt conversion to tie.

And then...
    You get the ball back, down by 5. Well, you are in FG range. You left 4 points off the board. Now you need a TD even though a FG would put you ahead.

This is just one scenario.

Teams are skipping FGs willy nilly.

I don't disagree with ya.

As we know coaches often use mathematical models for making decisions such as this depending on a variety of factors. Obviously, the models have changed to favoring going for the first down rather than kicking the field goal.

I do see where it can make sense in today's higher scoring games. Perhaps like everything else, the best coaches will utilize it the right way, whereby the worst coaches will flub it up.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to @stevek

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    If you think that Dak Prescott can lead a team to any place but mediocrity you need:
    A. Glasses
    B. A physiatrist
    C. The book, “Football for Dummies”

A. Steps out of bounds on the two point conversion
    B. Philadelphia gifts Dallas with penalties
    A 1st and goal at the 6 with 26 seconds left.
    C. Makes the only play you can’t, a sack
    D. On second down does he spike it? Hikes it with no play called and everyone go long.
    E. Delay of game.
    F. Throws short of the end zone.

Prove me wrong?

Dak has a lot of great qualities. Short throw accuracy and decision making are issues, and those are pretty darn important.

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

It definitely did but it's sort of spoiled by the way it ended, I didn't care who won really but to see Dak fold like a cheap tent like that was almost predictable

It's frustrating as heck, we had that game won, we were right there at the goal, and just self destructed. It's stressful being a fake Cowboys fan!

You know @stevek, your Eagles got lucky tonight, we should have won that game, we're clearly the superior football team, just had some issues. I'll have to check our schedule to see when we play again, but this isn't over. You win, for now....

@LandrysFedora said:
    This loss basically ends Dallas's season for all intents and purposes. It gives Philly a commanding division lead with now a tiebreaker advantage. And wildcard will be unlikely for the Cowboys also. It's the same self destruction year after year under Jerry Jones leadership. So many little things not being done did us in today. But that's par for the course for a Jerry Jones team the past 27 years. Lack of strong leadership and a bevy of yes man coaches that Jerry controls like puppets. And players see this. I have even noticed the body language of Micah Parsons the past few games slipping away, that confidence seems to be gone in his game.

Interesting point about Parsons. Living here I have been following him since he was drafted. You, as a Cowboys fan, also I am sure. He has something extra that let's him be greater than the greats. But it does seem to rely on something, inspiration, whatever, and it looks a bit depleted.

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

The Eagles in that final Cowboy's drive basically handed them the game on a sliver platter. I've never seen anything like it that bad with the multiple penalties at the most inopportune time.

Well Dak tipped over the platter.

@doubledragon said:
    You know @stevek, your Eagles got lucky tonight, we should have won that game, we're clearly the superior football team, just had some issues. I'll have to check our schedule to see when we play again, but this isn't over. You win, for now....

Oh I would agree that the season is far from over.

@LandrysFedora said:

I hear ya, but I just don't see it being over yet. Lot of season left to play, in which injuries, etc, could take its toll on the standings and playoff implications.

Dak is going to get roasted on Twitter, I check his Twitter page from time to time, just to see what the Cowboys fans are saying, and they are cruel as heck to him, you should read some of the stuff they say to him. I like Dak, he's a good guy, and I root for him, but he's gotta get his game straightened out or he's never going to hear the end of it.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2023 6:40PM

look at Dak's stats for the game. having his way all game long with the Eagles' D to the tune of 374 yards passing. but you can't ever trust this guy to come up with the most important ones, which in this case was 6. and not only did he not get them, but the offense he was leading somehow managed to lose about 20 yards to where he's heaving a desperation throw on 4th down.

what QB worth his salt does that?

whenever someone is a true stud people say, "he is that guy." Dak is most definitely not that guy. sure, he'll tease the pop tarts out of you with 374, but when a big game is on the line you can all but forget about him making a play to inject him into the "that guy" conversation.

the chances of Jerry Jones ever realizing this are slim to none, and Slim already left town

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Yeah, thanks a lot!

here you go double d, 2016 flashback to bring a smile

https://youtu.be/6jp86LOBMi4?feature=shared

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

The Eagles in that final Cowboy's drive basically handed them the game on a sliver platter. I've never seen anything like it that bad with the multiple penalties at the most inopportune time.

Well Dak tipped over the platter.

You missed the of the Tampa - Houston game. The only difference was Tampa really did give the game away.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Oh I would agree that the season is far from over.

Yes, I smell another avatar bet on the horizon, and this time the Eagles will be in our house, the house that Jerry Jones built. Looking forward to some payback!

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    look at Dak's stats for the game. having his way all game long with the Eagles' D to the tune of 374 yards passing. but you can't ever trust this guy to come up with the most important ones, which in this case was 6. and not only did he not get them, but the offense he was leading somehow managed to lose about 20 yards to where he's heaving a desperation throw on 4th down.

what QB worth his salt does that?

whenever someone is a true stud people say, "he is that guy." Dak is most definitely not that guy. sure, he'll tease the pop tarts out of you with 374, but when a big game is on the line you can all but forget about him making a play to inject him into the "that guy" conversation.

the chances of Jerry Jones ever realizing this are slim to none, and Slim already left town

Dak's legacy will be how good he was between the 20's. He has put up the numbers in his career but not the results. And as evidenced today, when it comes to crunch time results (red zone, 2 minute drill) he's not that guy that gets the job done. It just is what it is at this point in his career. He is not chopped liver by any means but he will never be in the league of Mahomes, Montana, or any of the real crunch time qb's.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

my goodness was that a good game. I loved it right till the end.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Yeah, thanks a lot!

here you go double d, 2016 flashback to bring a smile

https://youtu.be/6jp86LOBMi4?feature=shared

Ah yes, the good ol' days, where have they gone?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

to add, Dak is most definitely not "that guy" He just doesnt have "it"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me, but it took me a minute to realize who all of you were taking about. The emphasis on "fraudulent superstar", "folding like a cheap tent", "failing in crunch time with the game on the line", I thought I somehow stumbled into another Trouty thread, but soon figured out you were talking about Dak Prescott! Carry on!

Perhaps one final thought about Dak in this game. No ifs, ands, or buts, that last pass has to be thrown in the end zone. Must be, has to be, can't be thrown anywhere else.

Really at that point, it's the exact same thing as a "Hail Mary" pass, and when's the last time that you saw a "Hail Mary" pass not be thrown in the end zone, when it was physically reachable to do so? How about never.

In my view that's not only Dak, but perhaps hiss poor coaching. Dak should have been firmly reminded that the pass must be thrown in the end zone. He either wasn't reminded or he refused to listen.

I'm savoring the win, I admit it. But I hate it when stupid football is played, from either side. And that pass was just plain stone cold stupid.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I know that I am kind of old school in many ways.

But I do not like the trend of not taking points.

Let's say, theoretically, you are down 11 in the 4th. And you are in the red zone, or close enough, and it's 4th and 1. Why not take the FG. Go down by 8. If you don't pick up the TD, you are still down 11, and you might find that...

You get the ball back, and you are still down 11. You score a TD. Now you feel pressured to get the 2 points, and maybe you don't get it. I stand by the assessment that it is easier to pick up a 2 pt conversion to tie.

And then...
    You get the ball back, down by 5. Well, you are in FG range. You left 4 points off the board. Now you need a TD even though a FG would put you ahead.

This is just one scenario.

Teams are skipping FGs willy nilly.

The logic and algorithms is that if youre 4th and 1 and you need the TD and the ball back anyways its much easier to get the 1 yard for a new set of downs and go for the TD. Its a lot easier to get 1 yard and worry about the FG later where you dont have to drive the whole field than take the FG and then have to go the whole field for the TD. 1 yard should basically be a gimme play, you will get that more times than not unless theres some serious play calling issues.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just can't get used to DD's avatar :D:D:D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"