Home Sports Talk

Cowboys vs Eagles - The thread

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of the best rivalries in sports, and it's going down next week.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles fans feast your eyes on this, we just manhandled the Rams like it was nothing.

You are powerless to stop us, surrender while you still can!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2023 6:50AM

So what? The Rams have been losers for the past two seasons. They aren’t a Super Bowl team any more. You played them in Dallas. You should have kicked butt.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    So what? The Rams have losers for the past two seasons. They aren’t a Super Bowel team any more. You played them in Dallas. You should have kicked butt.

And we did kick butt, and the Eagles are next!

@doubledragon said:

@BillJones said:
    So what? The Rams have losers for the past two seasons. They aren’t a Super Bowel team any more. You played them in Dallas. You should have kicked butt.

Don’t look now, but your home team won its first game of the season today.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:

@doubledragon said:

@BillJones said:

Don’t look now, but your home team won its first game of the season today.

Yes, and I'm on cloud nine right now, no, cloud ten!

What a day, I'm going to be partying all night.

edited October 29, 2023 1:27PM

Uh oh, my phone is down to 23%, I would love to stay and chat with you all, but I better hook it up to the charger. They'll be plenty of time for trash talking this week!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should be an epic game!!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Should be an epic game!!

Hopefully it will be. I expect massive amounts of trash talk from @doubledragon and @stevek leading up to this event.

I'm picking Dallas in the picks contest, I know that.

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    Should be an epic game!!

Hopefully it will be. I expect massive amounts of trash talk from @doubledragon and @stevek leading up to this event.

I'm picking Dallas in the picks contest, I know that.

You're picking Dallas? I must say, you've got some stones, I'm taking the Eagles. But nevertheless, the Cowboys will kick Philly's butt!

Man I can't wait to get ahold of Philly next week, let me at em', I'm just chomping at the bit to lay a beatdown on the Eagles. What shall I make @stevek use as his new avatar? Perhaps Kim Kardashian's rump roast? The possibilities are endless. Be afraid Steve, be very afraid.

I find it fascinating how Dak Prescott can play like crap one week and then turn around and play very well the next. He's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, very diabolical, he would make the perfect movie villain.

Hagler vs Hearns was originally billed as The Fight but was subsequently known as The War.

This is The Thread

What will it become? 🤷

@thisistheshow said:
    Hagler vs Hearns was originally billed as The Fight but was subsequently known as The War.

This is The Thread

What will it become? 🤷

I don't know, but I came across this meme today, a Jerry Jones cow, I take this as a good sign.

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

This is The Thread

What will it become? 🤷

I don't know, but I came across this meme today, a Jerry Jones cow, I take this as a good sign.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

This is The Thread

What will it become? 🤷

Is that the front or the back of the cow ?

@pdoidoi said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

This is The Thread

What will it become? 🤷

Is that the front or the back of the cow ?

LOL. I don't wanna know . 😂😂

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lead cow has the best view.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always laugh a little when I see the Kelce and Swift players for the Eagles on the field at the same time.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@perkdog, Great article, Jerry's getting feisty, I like his attitude!

Yes, let's just get this out here in the open.

Jerry Jones says Cowboys-Eagles showdown is 'serious sh-t,' Cowboys need to 'have our game face on' Sunday

Even after his team blew out the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday, Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was uncharacteristically quiet when it came to the prospects of facing the division rival Philadelphia Eagles in Week 9. "Let's soak this one up," Jones said, referring to the win over L.A. "I don't want to do anything to poke the bear."

By Tuesday, Jerry was singing a different tune. He acknowledged the importance of the game, and stressed what his team needs to come away with a win.

"This is serious sh-t that we're dealing with up here Sunday, man," Jones said during his weekly radio appearance, per ESPN. "We've got to really have our game face on. Philadelphia is a tough place to get your momentum going, but, to me, this is all about just what the NFL can be."

Dallas and Philly split the season series a year ago, with each team winning the game where the other had to start its backup quarterback. Jalen Hurts and Co. won the Week 6 matchup in large part thanks to three Cooper Rush interceptions, while Dak Prescott out-dueled Gardner Minshew in Week 16 as Minshew turned the ball over three times (two picks, one fumble).

Prescott hasn't lost a regular-season game to Philadelphia since 2019, but this is obviously a much different Eagles team than the one he has faced in the majority of those matchups since then.

The Eagles have one of the NFL's most explosive offenses now, thanks to the combination of Hurts, their offensive line, and players like A.J. Brown, De'Vonta Smith, Dallas Goedert, and D'Andre Swift. Hurts has struggled with turnovers this year, though, as he has already given the ball away 11 times after doing so just eight times a year ago. Dallas is one of the most turnover-happy defenses in the NFL, forcing a giveaway on 16.9% of opponent possessions to date and scoring a league-best four defensive touchdowns.

Meanwhile, the Dallas offense bounced back from its embarrassing showing against the 49ers back in Week 5 with back-to-back destructions of the Chargers and Rams secondaries, and the Eagles are fresh off allowing Sam Howell to throw for nearly 400 yards and four scores. But Philly can still generate a ton of pressure up front, and the Cowboys' offensive line is banged up. They will need to keep Prescott well protected so that he has enough time to find CeeDee Lamb, Brandin Cooks, and more down the field.

It should be a fascinating game, and it's obviously one that could determine a lot in the NFC playoff race. Jerry knows that, even if he didn't want to acknowledge it on Sunday.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2023 4:28PM

I'm looking forward to this game almost as much as I'm looking forward to the aftermath here!

💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥💥

@perkdog said:
    I'm looking forward to this game almost as much as I'm looking forward to the aftermath here!

Looking forward to it myself, and I'm still pondering an avatar for @stevek, perhaps the Crying Jordan Eagles logo. 🤔

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Looking forward to it myself, and I'm still pondering an avatar for @stevek, perhaps the Crying Jordan Eagles logo. 🤔

Now I'm getting mad. I had planned, when the Eagles won, to have for your avatar some sort of group hug picture, visually expressing the love Philly fans actually feel for our fellow sports fans in the city of Dallas.

No longer. Peace and understanding, goodwill towards men, etc, is off the table. Your avatar for the week will be straight from the dark side.

😉

I forget...what are the terms of bet? IIRC, loser keeps the avatar until the SB, unless...both parties agree to an additional clause. There is a second meeting on December 10th. If this weekend's loser wins on December 10th, they are free from the bet. But if they lose again, they must suffer their fate until next season begins...week 1. This is how I remember the terms. Correct me if I am wrong.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Now I'm getting mad. I had planned, when the Eagles won, to have for your avatar some sort of group hug picture, visually expressing the love Philly fans actually feel for our fellow sports fans in the city of Dallas.

No longer. Peace and understanding, goodwill towards men, etc, is off the table. Your avatar for the week will be straight from the dark side.

😉

You see, isn't this nice? This is the way it should be, a fake Cowboys fan and an Eagles fan, locking horns in a vicious struggle for ultimate bragging rights!

@thisistheshow said:
    I forget...what are the terms of bet? IIRC, loser keeps the avatar until the SB, unless...both parties agree to an additional clause. There is a second meeting on December 10th. If this weekend's loser wins on December 10th, they are free from the bet. But if they lose again, they must suffer their fate until next season begins...week 1. This is how I remember the terms. Correct me if I am wrong.

We should do it to the Super Bowl, loser has to keep the avatar until the Super Bowl!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

curious question for @stevek

i'm going to assume the Eagles are in the top spot, but in Philly, who is more popular -- the Sixers or the Phillies?

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    curious question for @stevek

i'm going to assume the Eagles are in the top spot, but in Philly, who is more popular -- the Sixers or the Phillies?

Yes Eagles by far, then Phillies.

Philadelphia has never been a big professional basketball town. The interesting thing is that Philadelphia has always been a huge college basketball town with the Big 5, etc. I'm not a basketball fan, but over the years I've attended more Big 5 games than Sixers games.

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

We should do it to the Super Bowl, loser has to keep the avatar until the Super Bowl!

I'm too old and no longer have the stones for a bet like that. If i lost, I might have a double heart attack, and I'm not even sure what that means?

Even a week for me has become too stressful. The next avatar bet I make may only be for an hour, maybe 1/2 hour. 😳

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I'm too old and no longer have the stones for a bet like that. If i lost, I might have a double heart attack, and I'm not even sure what that means?

Even a week for me has become too stressful. The next avatar bet I make may only be for an hour, maybe 1/2 hour. 😳

I would really like to do an avatar bet with someone for a full year, loser has to keep the avatar for one full year, but I doubt anyone has the stones!

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a askin' Jerrah, if a Rangers win is the ABSOLUTE GLORY HOLE, then how would he describe a victory over the Eagles?

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cowboys have to have a statement game in a season sometime, some year. Every time they win a few the media goes nuts predicting this is the year.
    Then the chance for a statement game ends like the dud against the 49ers.
    We’ll see if they’re ready (again) today.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@countdouglas said:
    I'm a askin' Jerrah, if a Rangers win is the ABSOLUTE GLORY HOLE, then how would he describe a victory over the Eagles?

B)

Big day today @stevek, oh the possibilities. 🤔

7-7 and the Cowboys look very competitive

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited November 5, 2023 4:55PM

It’s a good one so far. 28-17. 4 and 1. Did he make it? Yes! 11.38 to go 1st and goal

W.C.Fields

Oh no ! TD going to be overturned! Wow

W.C.Fields

Actually I don’t care, just adding excitement and post totals

W.C.Fields
    edited November 5, 2023 5:43PM

Philly is trying very hard to lose this game. I think they will. The coach threw this game away. The final drive was way too conservative and poorly executed.

Eagles survive, but the end was ugly.

This is too much, too much!

Five yards, it comes down to five stinking yards!

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 yards away from a signature W

then Dallas remembered who they are

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

I certainly hope I'm not being out of line here, and I profusely apologize if I am. But in honor of the Eagles victory against the Cowboys, if anyone wishes to change their avatar for a week to the below avatar, is more than welcome to so.

If you think that Dak Prescott can lead a team to any place but mediocrity you need:
    A. Glasses
    B. A physiatrist
    C. The book, “Football for Dummies”

A. Steps out of bounds on the two point conversion
    B. Philadelphia gifts Dallas with penalties
    A 1st and goal at the 6 with 26 seconds left.
    C. Makes the only play you can’t, a sack
    D. On second down does he spike it? Hikes it with no play called and everyone go long.
    E. Delay of game.
    F. Throws short of the end zone.

Prove me wrong?

W.C.Fields

Ok @stevek, ok, ok, good game, good game, no really, good game. I'm cool, I'm cool.

DD congrats on your beautiful brand new avatar.

Frankly, I think it's the prettiest avatar on the forum.

I know that I am kind of old school in many ways.

But I do not like the trend of not taking points.

Let's say, theoretically, you are down 11 in the 4th. And you are in the red zone, or close enough, and it's 4th and 1. Why not take the FG. Go down by 8. If you don't pick up the TD, you are still down 11, and you might find that...

You get the ball back, and you are still down 11. You score a TD. Now you feel pressured to get the 2 points, and maybe you don't get it. I stand by the assessment that it is easier to pick up a 2 pt conversion to tie.

And then...
    You get the ball back, down by 5. Well, you are in FG range. You left 4 points off the board. Now you need a TD even though a FG would put you ahead.

This is just one scenario.

Teams are skipping FGs willy nilly.