Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Before the internet existed was it possible for you to collect what you currently collect?

TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2024 1:54PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

?

Comments

• MaxfliMaxfli Posts: 40 ✭✭

Before the internet existed was it possible for you to collect what you currently collect?

Of course it was possible. The advent of the internet didn't change what interested me as a coin collector, it just made finding them a little easier. You don't miss what you've never had.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know without the internet it would be frankly impossible to collect what I collect now. It is even hard with the internet so few coins come up for sale. But a few come up here and there and I am very happy when I can land one.

• HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots and lots of lists of coins for sale through the mail. Phone calls to try to buy the ones you had been seeking for years. Now, with so many inventories available at our fingertips, a miracle. 8-)

• harashaharasha Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great mail lists and catalogues for ancient coins, that I was big on, at the time.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • NapNap Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would have been rather difficult to obtain some of the rare stuff without having auction representation in the pre-Internet time.

On the flip side, everything was cheaper.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Before the internet, there were coin shops that had display cases filled with all sorts of coins from around the world. Additionally, there were publications that featured foreign coins and advertisements from dealers that specialized in such materials, often offering catalogs through the mail.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

About half of my collection, most likely would not be possible without the Internet.

• sylsyl Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

There were lots of brick and mortar stores and great mailing lists. I started alot of my foriegn stuff (not Canadian) through Jeff Zrit down in Texas.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

got my start in 1965 in Switzerland.
    My hang-out friend was a coin collector for profit at that time. he was also the director for the Numismatic Department of a very large bank in Zurich. he got me going... no internet then.
    yes, most large Swiss banks were dealing in coins, a very lucrative business back then.
    H

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not collecting British and Roman coins in the days before the Internet. So I can’t speak to those.

I was collecting U.S. coins, tokens and some medals during the pre Internet days. I could find the pieces I wanted at the major shows and from selected dealers’ stores. It took longer to find the items, but my resources were more limited too.

I have often used the Internet to find British and Roman coins. I would not have done as well without it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • I imagine had I been collecting world coins, esp British, then, i'd have sought out British coin dealers and auction houses more than I currently do, although some of these coins likely showed up in stateside auctions and shops, relying on paper catalogs, and calling dealers.

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect coins with Chinese chopmarks. Before the internet, it was quite difficult to collect in this area outside of Asia. I probably wouldn't know about this area of collecting, let alone be able to assemble the collection I have without the internet.

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Bought off lists.
    Returned alot ,keep track of all,
    Only keep about a third + of coins I bought.
    IF I do that on ebay I get blocked. That's OK
    , or get cussed out at shows if they know I returned their coin! At least three cuss outs over the years. Ha!
    I saved money and have better coins. I have seen inexperienced collectors taken advantage of as dealers sell them cleaned junk as though they are gems/ even whizzed coins.

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,232 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before the internet, you could collect anything at all if you were willing to travel and/or rely on a dealer to find the coins. Today, you can skip the travel and cut out the dealers.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    I collect coins with Chinese chopmarks. Before the internet, it was quite difficult to collect in this area outside of Asia. I probably wouldn't know about this area of collecting, let alone be able to assemble the collection I have without the internet.

Some people did, and for those with dedication it seems that the difficulty in finding rare stuff was offset by low prices. Still, it would take years to put together a top-quality world chopmark type set back in the day even with unlimited cash compared to the availability that the internet enables today, as you mentioned.

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've collected English, Irish and Scots hammered since the mid 1980s - basically buying from a description on a price list and being satisfied or not with what you got. I remember selling a lot of it later in the mid 1990s when I upgraded - selling on ebay again with just a description but no pics. Of all that I bought back pre-internet I only have the Scots coins as I have never sold one of those only added to the hoard.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

The short answer is yes followed by resourcefulness. And by that I mean are you willing to engage in the hunt and search?

Collecting extends beyond knowledge but how knowledge is applied- its about casting the big net and timing. Perhaps the internet has helped with the timeline in locating certain coins- but that has come at a price. Certain coins are best purchased with an in hand review- pictures are helpful but they often do not truly capture what is important. And there really is no substitute unless one is willing to live with the consequences of buying based on an optimistic perception of an image that simply may not resemble the coin that you thought you were buying.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't think so. Most from my primary series have been from auctions but without the internet, prices would almost certainly be noticeably lower and don't think most would have been sold where I could find it.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only was it possible but buying raw world coins were great bargains if you could grade yourself and certainly slabbed coins were all around at lower prices than today imo

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect since the 1980s. No internet back then.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer to collect without the Internet. For me, it's way more fun and thrilling to find the coins I need by luck and happenstance.

It's ironic since I build websites and take photographs to sell coins online.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Before the internet, you could collect anything at all if you were willing to travel and/or rely on a dealer to find the coins. Today, you can skip the travel and cut out the dealers.

And if you were willing to travel, you could attend auctions that most collectors ignored. The few ones that travelled, often divided the lots that they were interested at between them to keep the prices low. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn’t. And that’s without counting the shows. A different era.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3