Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What other antiquities are you into? Show something old and cool!

Comments

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭✭

No pictures, but I used to restore and resell antique tabletop radios. I also have a small knife collection that belonged to the wifes' grandfather.

imageimage

• Options
    JimsokayJimsokay Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I collect to many things from porcelain signs to meteorites, indian artifacts and coins

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

• Options

@Crypto said:
    I have lot of antiques from jewelry, books, furniture, watches and even license plates but for this I’ll add a small set of toys from my youth which get closer to antiques every year.

I’ve got the 928 and the 911, well played with. I was showing my son these just the other day and we compared them to his extensive transformers collection. The complexity has come a long way.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Just checking in. Blown away at the amazing items I see in this thread. Kindred spirits.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭

Fast Freddie your collections are incredible, would love to see all that in person.

• Options
    Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a question. I know cars start at a certain year to be a classic or historic car. What year do antiquities in general start at?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2024 6:48PM

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2024 8:26PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I have a question. I know cars start at a certain year to be a classic or historic car. What year do antiquities in general start at?

My understanding...
    Classic - 20ish to 40ish years old
    Vintage - 20ish to 75ish to 90ish years old
    Antique - About 75ish to 100 years old or more
    Antiquity - Middle ages-ish to absolutely ancient

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2024 7:45AM

@Kurisu said:

@OAKSTAR said:

My understanding...
    Classic - 20ish to 40ish years old
    Vintage - 20ish to 75ish to 90ish years old
    Antique - About 75ish to 100 years old or more
    Antiquity - Middle ages-ish to absolutely ancient

Thanks for that @Kurisu! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vasanti said:

Can you tell us about this sculpture? It looks really old.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    VasantiVasanti Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Vasanti said:

Can you tell us about this sculpture? It looks really old.

It’s a 17th or 18th Century sandstone Thai Buddha head removed from a statue in Ayutthaya, probably back in the 50s or 60s when looting of sites like that was common.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭

The iron on the road in a pinch is amazing and LOL! Great collections, everyone! Giving me ideas of different things to pursue. :smile:

Some collections I personally find hard to verify, such as fossils or ancient artifacts. For those I guess you have to trust your seller, source or provenance background. Vaulting forward into a modern era, even toys from my youth (roughly the same as crypto's era examples) have come into their own a bit -- some later 70's/80's Hot Wheels even, desirable for the fact that all such toys were "all metal" bodies and bases at the time. The standard for inexpensive toy cars now is a mostly plastic/some metal construction -- metal/metal bodies and bases are sold in premium lines at a higher price point. :smile:

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mom was into clocks and I got these along the way. My son gave me the petrified wood. He lives about 50 miles from Petrified Forest National Park and the Painted Desert. My father was stationed in Frankfurt (West) Germany after WWII and got the Hummels...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just purchased another type of Galvanic Bettery Pendant Token to go with my Boyd’s Batteries

Here’s my Boyd’s Batteries Collection

Mr_Spud

• Options

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tyler267 said:

I picked up two milk crates full of marbles from a yard sale. I know some are vintage through my limited knowledge.

Might need some help identifying.

Any resources you reccomend?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 8:27AM

Boxing...

Trip of a lifetime in 2000, made it to Sydney Australia for our honeymoon and stayed less than a mile from a park overlooking Rushcutter Bay. This was the site where the Johnson-Burns title fight was held. Or at least close in a nearby neighborhood. The park you walk through is gorgeous. They have bats hanging in the tree during the day.... the size of vultures!

Once had an extensive ticket and ticket stub collection. Not much value but some cool fights and fighters.

Johnson-Jeffries Fight of the Century Collection
    At one point owned nearly 100 postcards of the Jack Johnson vs Jim Jeffries title fight.
    Charles Dana are the most valuable but many, many others were made from across the world.
    A few toys.
    Had only one competitor bidding against me.
    Sold them during the housing crisis.
    Today they are 3 to 5X what I paid

Posters
    Was too poor to compete in the Movie Poster craze but had a few cool items... until marriage and decorating tastes changed life
    Still proudly own WW1 bond drive poster of the haunting NY Harbor scene by Joseph Pennell
    Dempsey-Willard fight poster (just sick that I sold it)
    A few Japanese Godzilla posters
    A massive six sheet James Bond Poster

Bucket list...
    Johnson-Jefferies silver watch fob
    Silver plated Platter of Corbett vs Fitzsimmons
    Ticket/programs/Posters... Johnson-Burns (super rare) and Willard-Dempsey and Dempsey-Carpentier fight
    Visit Reno NV fight site of Johnson-Jeffries
    Visit Toledo OH fight site Dempsey-Willard

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend in Spain found Roman artifacts when he excavated for a pool. He stopped because he did not want to disturb the remains any further nor did he want state archaeologists to take over his farm. I’ve seen large millstones, but never a table-sized one. I think that it is a grinding stone.

• Options

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

R Atkinson Fox. 1860-1935

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek said:
    1974 Z1 900. (The blue one in the background isn't mine).

When Harley was purchased by AMF in the 70’s all my buddies bought these. Boy did Harleys suck then. Of course by the 90’s I went back but the funny thing is I bought a 2018 Softtail with the throw back 70’s AMF paint scheme. Now everyone loves the paint.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bucket list sort of item scratched off my want list with this recent acquisition.
    A cup and saucer that was made for the White Star Line to be used on their new Olympic class fleet of ships,
    “Olympic”, “Titanic” and “Gigantic” (which would later be called “Brittanic”)
    This set is the Wisteria pattern which was used for first class passenger accommodations.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file