Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you did not collect US coins then what country would you have interest in next?

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see all the variety of nations.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd probably do ancients. If doing something a little closer to modernity, maybe those city-states that eventually coalesced into Italy and Germany.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2023 11:48AM

France, Mexico, Canada, Italy, Ireland, Vatican are favs. Beyond that anything I find attractive, good for inventory, and the deal is there.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would look at Switzerland. I have always liked many of their designs.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Latin American crown size silver pocket pieces

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Like to see what your #2 would be. I know for some they simply have no other country in mind.

what happened with Canadian Hockey Cards?

• Options

@tcollects said:

Like to see what your #2 would be. I know for some they simply have no other country in mind.

what happened with Canadian Hockey Cards?

I have much more fun collecting coins.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Well, uh, my avatar is a 1553 dated half lion or 22/- from the reign of Queen Mary of Scotland:

So Scotland it is.

Your username kind of gave it away too.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Mexican best but also Chinese panda coins
    Anything silver I will collect…!

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably England, but mainly because Mrs_Spud collects British coins. If she didn’t then I might want to go after ancient coins, things like the old electrum coins from 600 bc or so

Mr_Spud

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a country per se, but 8 Reales.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Central American Republic

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

My second choices are coins from specific mints.

I also collect Mexico and Potosi Spanish Colonial pieces.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Victorian Canada….so pretty and so undervalued….just not enough collectors

• Options

@jedm said:
    I like Mexico coins, they're a close neighbor.

Very nice 8 reales!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭

I assembled a set of the Krause catalogs over the last couple of years and like flipping through the pages. There are so many options that feel really undervalued and are probably way more challenging to build a set with than any U.S. coin series based on finding all the individual coins in the first place.

I have been working on a set of Bahamas cents with my fiance. I would love to start some other sets for British Pennies, British West Africa Shillings, Australian and New Zealand coins, Ireland, and German Prussian coins.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC 66 POP 2/0

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Japan, Russia, Germany in that order

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably these... Mexico, Peru, and UK...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

France has beautiful designs without politicians.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

AUSTRIA ---- The Philharmonic Coin Series.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada or Australia.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I like Canada, I'm too old to start a new country. Instead I'd attempt to consolidate all the world wide stamp collections that were given to me by others long ago. Most likely there will not be any value in them; but, they will keep me busy correctly identifying them and mounting them in albums and stock books.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexican gold

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Great Britain, Philippines and Japan because I spent quite a few years in each place on active duty.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2024 5:21PM

The SUD coinage from 1811 to 1814. Crude coppers, rare silver piece… lots of charm too!

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Ancient Greece, never really looked at any until they were in the way while I was putting together a hefty Roman collection both gold and silver centered on the 12 Caesars. That was fun, spending OPM and getting paid to do it.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada. I collect some some of their coins as my father was from County Lunenberg, Nova Scotia and my mother from Modoc County, California. Beyond that, no other countries, these two are way more than enough.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went from US to Colonials to Spain to then be bitten HARD by the ancient bug.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Cuban coins . Just because ebay doesn’t allow them, and that makes them that much more intriguing.

Yup, Cuban coins.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Cuban coins . Just because ebay doesn’t allow them, and that makes them that much more intriguing.

Yup, Cuban coins.

Would that not be next to impossible since I believe they are not allowed to be shipped to the USA. I could be wrong.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Yup, Cuban coins.

Would that not be next to impossible since I believe they are not allowed to be shipped to the USA. I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm waiting for Cuba Gov't to fall and then the US to recognize them again.
    Hopefully the Gov't will change soon. It sure is a mess in Cuba right now.
    bob :)+

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call. England/GB comes to mind first. I managed to build a decent collection of British Trade Dollars, which I think are fantastic designs. I also have several different monarchs in my Prime Number Set. I know a couple people who are doing a "one of each monarch" set, and that sounds cool. While I'm not crazy about cobs, I do like the milled Spanish colonial stuff. Then there's that box of Dutch Lion Dollars I have. 16th century Thalers are also pretty darn cool. I should really get some Cap 'n' Rays pesos. I actually need to get my hands on a 1919-C Rupee, now that I think of it.

Yeah, I don't know what I would pick.

• Options
    Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭

Tajikistan all the way.

Competition? What competition??

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 376 ✭✭✭

Canadian, UK, and imperial German.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Territorials are an acceptable answer, that would probably be first choice.
    I would also probably consult with Boosibri, Mr Eureka and John Agre to get some ideas from people who have already branched out.
    But I would have to find something. For 20 years, I have been assembling some set of coins or another…

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beyond the U.S. series, my recent interests have been British/English coins and Imperial Roman pieces.

Of late I have been studying the coinage during the time King George III. It was a time of failure and reforms, which would last for a century.

One of the complaints that the American colonists had was that the British Government did not supply enough coins to America to run the economy. Guess what? The British had the same problem in England for a variety of reasons.

Here are couple of random pieces.

George III half penny. These were badly needed for the economy which was transitioning toward the Industrial Revolution, but the Government refused to fix the problem.

The Druid Parys Mine two pence which was one of the first Condor tokens. These were issued to pay the workers.

A reform British crown (5 shillings), which was part of the overall coinage reform which the British Government started after the defeat of Napoleon.

And from Rome, a denarius that was issued by Mark Anthony's army 11 months after the assassination of Julius Caesar. Anthony is on the obverse and Julius Caesar is on the reverse. The picture is reversed because this is my "bust of Caesar" representative coin. I have not had any luck purchasing a bust of Julius Caesar coin that was issued while he was alive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada #1 and Mexico #2. There are a lot of world coin designs that I like (the CAR and South American coins) but those 2 would be the most collectable for me IMO.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to confess I never thought much about this until this thread. But, English first, then Spanish. Lots of great posts & feedback!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 9:32AM

The UK would be my first choice then maybe Japan. Some pretty cool designs from that country.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico. And finish GB coronation medals.

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Switzerland, Panama, Philippines, Great Britain, Mexico, Germany, Peru. The possibilities are too numerous. These are my favorites.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file