alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain the 15 stars?

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭

I’m in for the uniqueness and type.

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I will only get the medal if offered in MS. Not interested in proof.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t see into the future although it looks like the past is creeping up on us. I like silver and the flowing hair and the modern gold Mercury dime ,
    Walking Liberty Half and standing liberty quarter in gold (2016 ) . But it’s like no direction with these special remakes today. Just the same; recycling is cool.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmm. they edge lettered the pucks without a lettered collar. i think they could squeeze it on an ase blank castaing style.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 9:10PM

@Onastone said:

I agree with pretty much everyone here, it's going to be too perfect and that gives it an unrealistic look.

Particularly the "pineapple eagle." Or is it the "hand grenade eagle"?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2023 7:12PM

I’d be in for an entire proof or specimen remake set of the period.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven I also have that 2 oz round along with about 10 others they have done (they sell out fast when offered). The workmanship is great. To me, the one you posted is far better compared to the US Mint offering. There is something about the look of the US Mint version that doesn't look right.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I'm not sure I'm loving it. I mean, the originals are superb, but these super clean, computer produced images make me think the new US Mint pieces will look more like silver rounds than true classics. Why can't/couldn't they employ sculptors or other quality artists to give these a truly "handmade" feel?

You hit the nail on the head

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold my Jefferson's Liberty First Spouse $10 because I thought the design was not nearly as good as the original Scot Draped Bust half cent, which the design was taken from. I believe most of the U.S. Mint coin and medal working dies are over finished and too smooth, probably for coining (striking) reasons. Classic U.S. Mint coinage has more chiseled features and better appearance than the modern CNC created dies.

I like the decision to re-create the Flowing Hair dollar as a medal, but I hope the Mint puts more emphasis on engraving in a similar form as the original. I know the Mint has artists with the talent to do this including Chief Engraver Joseph Menna, they need to see the design through to the working dies and coining.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    There is something about the look of the US Mint version that doesn't look right.

I'm thinking the cupped field on the obverse is one problem

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said

Nobody at the US Mint has done actual engraving in a long time. For many decades now, US Mint sculptors have only created sculpted reliefs in clay/plaster and/or digitally. I am not certtain, but I think Menna's work at the US Mint has been entirely digital. Note that CNC machining will render what is in the digital sculpt, and nothing else. So if there are deficiencies in the final product, that is due to what is in the sculpt and not generally the CNC machining. A die made via a reduction lathe from a physical galvano can have the same issues as a digital/CNC die.

I also believe Menna's Mint work has been digital sculpting, although he has extensive education and training in art history and traditional sculpture.

The CNC machining will render the digital sculpt. I worked in tooling at Boeing for 36 years, including various forms of forging dies, which are machined from a dataset, not unlike a digital sculpture. The final step is deburring and polishing to the spec finish, which could be rough deburr, a finer machine polish, or even hand polish in less common case of finishing to a +/-.0005 tolerance.

That is where the problem lies IMO with Mint coinage including proofs and other NCLT. The dies are finished by tool makers, not artists, and are over polished as to leave no sharp definition. That is understandable for circulating coinage, but for NCLT I know they can do better. It is not the die makers fault as they are working to a spec, it is caused by a process that does not include "they [digi sculptor/engraver] need to see the design through to the working dies and coining."

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nonpolitical classic design. Whether the dies are finished a certain way or another, I can't complain. Beggars can't be choosers.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 4:07PM

@SPalladino said:
    ...not mentioned in the article was intended finish. Recent Liberty coins/medals have had a proof finish. Please, no >on a proof finish for this issue.

How about a matte proof finish for the silver medal?

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:

@SPalladino said:

...not mentioned in the article was intended finish. Recent Liberty coins/medals have had a proof finish. Please, no on a proof finish for this issue.
    How about a matte proof finish for the silver medal?

For this issue, I would likely buy it even if a standard proof finish...a sorta "you'll eat whatever we put on the table" thing. But I will like some finishes more than others, and would like a standard proof finish the very least.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:
    Let's take a guess at what the price will be........

It will be comparable to what the liberty coin/medal sold for this year.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@PerryHall said:

Will the silver coin also show the original edge lettering?

The CW article specifically states that the Au coin will have the "inscribed denomination", but says nothing about the silver medal. To me, this implies that the current 'plan' is no.

@olympicsos said:

What about In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum?

Per the CW article in the OP:
    "To honor the original, the Mint will follow the same minimal inscriptions on the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar coin on both the silver medal and gold coin."

But is that legal? @Casabrown

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:

I cannot answer your question. But, I can share some info about the "candidate designs" that the CCAC reviewed during their 11/28/23 meeting.

The CCAC posted a YT video of this meeting. Link. The portion about the 'Flowing Hair' items starts at 1:51:49.

• Options
    edited December 5, 2023 5:32AM

@MetroD said:

@olympicsos said:

I cannot answer your question. But, I can share some info about the "candidate designs" that the CCAC reviewed during their 11/28/23 meeting.

The CCAC posted a YT video of this meeting. Link. The portion about the 'Flowing Hair' items starts at 1:51:49.

This same issue will come up with the 2026 best of the mint coins too like the Gobrecht, Flying Eagle, Saint Gaudens High Relief etc. If In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum aren't required on bullion coins, that's a game changer (something I support).

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, why does it have the very wide rim and a high-relief basin effect. They should lower the relief and flatten out the fields, as well as engraving the dies a bit more like circulation strikes and less like a polished specimen.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's something reassuring about die file lines, A little gouge here or there. And using the third side is a must. Come on, let's get analog and use those digits and opposing thumb to make a great coin. Faukrissake!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2023 6:28AM

They did a good job on the Peace dollar issue, looks like they have some sales people with some brains and motivation at the mint which has become a big profit operation.

Biggest flop in my opionion, the small gold slug remake of the uber popular 1907/2007 HR $20.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any info on the other classic designs proposed in the survey? As to which ones made the cut?

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Would love to see this come higher relief. People wanting die lines, gouges, flattening are killing it.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2023 9:04AM

@Liquidated said:
    Would love to see this come higher relief. People wanting die lines, gouges, flattening are killing it.

Per the 11/28/23 CCAC meeting, the current plan is:
    ~ gold coin in "high relief";
    ~ silver medal in "low relief";
    ~ and, "very much like" the 'American Liberty' program in terms of relief dimensions and planchets.

The relevant portion starts at 2:00:10.

Edited for clarity.

• Options

@MetroD said:

@Liquidated said:

Per the 11/28/23 CCAC meeting, the current plan is:
    ~ gold coin in "high relief";
    ~ silver medal in "low relief";
    ~ and, "very much like" the 'American Liberty' program in terms of relief dimensions and planchets.

The relevant portion starts at 2:00:10.

Edited for clarity.

I thought towards the end it was requested for two designs to later vote on?

• Options

@Liquidated said:
    I thought towards the end it was requested for two designs to later vote on?

As I understand it, the CCAC considered two candidate designs at their 11/28/23 meeting:
    ~ original render, faithful to the 1794 coin;
    ~ and, revised render that incorporated alignment changes requested by the CFA.

They voted to recommend the "original" design. The portion of the video that starts with a recap of the motion, and subsequent vote, starts at 2:12:45.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a buyer👍😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Any updates to gold version planned finish?

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Liquidated said:
    Any updates to gold version planned finish?

Scheduled for release Fall 2024, presumably as a 2024 issue (230th anniversary):
    https://catalog.usmint.gov/230th-anniversary-flowing-hair-gold-coin-24YG.html?cgid=2024-product-schedule

But there's no mention of its finish. I'm guessing Proof.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I think the ‘silver round’ criticisms are right on. The basined die and the ‘apple cheeky’ Ms Liberty are not faithful to the original design.

Which is weird, because it is not rocket science to do a better job with existing technology

Why don’t they scan a high-grade 1794 original and get the design absolutely right?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

3-D scanning, of course.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭

I will probably buy one. I am guessing it will be $3500.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty with a mouth full of tobacco. Then that's just my opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2024 5:35AM

What happens with In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum, would they be omitted? I am still wondering about that?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    What happens with In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum, would they be omitted? I am still wondering about that?

Since these mottos are required by law, perhaps it could be added to the edge or they could just be eliminated.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@olympicsos said:

Since these mottos are required by law, perhaps it could be added to the edge or they could just be eliminated.

The edge was supposed to also imitate the original.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file