Options

Flowing hair dollar to be revived

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, interesting.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m on board, definitely a welcome design, but IMO the coin will look a little off.

I wonder what die variety they will use?🤔

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's great. Hope the rev is a killer wreath of oak leaves, acorns, and such, oh my!

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on board with that

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's take a guess at what the price will be........

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cant wait to see them, timeless designs in flashy Silver and luxurious Gold

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

$82.00 the same as this year's Liberty Silver Medal.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@privatecoin said:

$82.00 the same as this year's Liberty Silver Medal.

Plenty of time between now and 2024 to raise prices on everything again. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that Reverse design.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks awesome!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭

I think Intaglio Mint beat the US Mint with their 1794 silver 2 ouncer. I think I have some somewhere.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 stars.

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking the liberty proof spouses surrounding the liberty gold sitting on black felt

Martin

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I'm not sure I'm loving it. I mean, the originals are superb, but these super clean, computer produced images make me think the new US Mint pieces will look more like silver rounds than true classics. Why can't/couldn't they employ sculptors or other quality artists to give these a truly "handmade" feel?

Next you're going to ask for them to file down planchets instead of using machinery to make ones that have perfect weights from the get-go!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest here
    I only want the real ones :o

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan. If they made it exactly I would be a buyer.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

The high relief gold will be a pretty coin.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does it have a lettered edge like the originals?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    The high relief gold will be a pretty coin.

I agree. Also with a hefty price tag

Martin

• Options
    edited October 20, 2023 8:08AM

It's just a glorified one ounce silver round if it doesn't show a denomination on the edge like the originals had.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I'm not sure I'm loving it. I mean, the originals are superb, but these super clean, computer produced images make me think the new US Mint pieces will look more like silver rounds than true classics. Why can't/couldn't they employ sculptors or other quality artists to give these a truly "handmade" feel?

Maybe the talent isn't as good. They should've done more classic coin revivals in the 1980s when Elizabeth Jones was chief engraver.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Per the CW article in the OP:
    "The original edge inscribed denomination will also be included on the gold coin."

• Options

@MetroD said:

@PerryHall said:

"The original edge inscribed denomination will also be included on the gold coin."

Will the silver coin also show the original edge lettering?

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@PerryHall said:

What about In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

the medal is not bound by the same laws the coinage is. there will be fewer mottos.

I imagine we could write the ccag and be for edge lettering. it was, after all, used on the presidential dollars

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    It's just a glorified 2 ounce silver round if it doesn't show a denomination on the edge like the originals had.

Isn't it one ounce? I like the 2023 bristlecone, but I agree this one looks too, well, fake, for lack of a better term. This move to remove the human element from design creates a lack of appeal in the output. Next they'll throw a few old coins at an AI interface and come up with a design completely devoid of character.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wish it could be in coin silver and not 99.9999%. And it would be even more awesome, though impractical, if they did it with a screw press. It just won’t look right to me otherwise.

• Options

@Extremeengineer said:

@PerryHall said:
    It's just a glorified 2 ounce silver round if it doesn't show a denomination on the edge like the originals had.

Isn't it one ounce? I like the 2023 bristlecone, but I agree this one looks too, well, fake, for lack of a better term. This move to remove the human element from design creates a lack of appeal in the output. Next they'll throw a few old coins at an AI interface and come up with a design completely devoid of character.

Yes. One ounce just like most silver rounds.

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

In reference to a prior question about denomination edge lettering, the medal would not, by definition, have a denomination. The gold coin will have the edge lettering denomination.
    I also wonder how they get around the absence of God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum, but hope that they do leave them off to keep the design more consistent with the original.
    Lastly, not mentioned in the article was intended finish. Recent Liberty coins/medals have had a proof finish. Please, no on a proof finish for this issue.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

Will the silver coin also show the original edge lettering?

The CW article specifically states that the Au coin will have the "inscribed denomination", but says nothing about the silver medal. To me, this implies that the current 'plan' is no.

@olympicsos said:

What about In God We Trust and E Pluribus Unum?

"To honor the original, the Mint will follow the same minimal inscriptions on the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar coin on both the silver medal and gold coin."

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan. Doesn't seem to have any artistic qualities to it and looks like many silver rounds.

• Options

The pic is not of the final product. It's a rendition. The article states the two design committees are only now starting to review the designs.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2023 12:03PM

@TomB said:

Can the Mint Director unilaterally pick an old-school medal artist -- without a lengthy selection process?

I'd love to see someone like Heidi Wastweet get the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qapuOGW_2Co

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options

@Barberian said:
    I agree with TomB. There is a difference between hand engraved and laser engraved, and it has to do with the tiny flaws in handmade stuff. I do a fair bit of biological illustrating and I have never cared for computer generated graphics because they are too perfect. The "microflaws" in hand drawn illustrations impart a certain reality to a drawing that seems to escape digitally produced drawings.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LGTheCoinAnalyst said:
    The pic is not of the final product. It's a rendition. The article states the two design committees are only now starting to review the designs.

we need to contact them about edge inscriptions. i'd think they can fit everything on the edge. i'd also think there would be raised bumps between the collar segments.

and there is someone wondering about the denomination on the silver medal. if a medal has a denomination then it is not a medal by definition. for further proof, check the past silver liberty medals and there will be no denomination on them

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

This is going to be a great coin and glad to see it scheduled. Excited about it as much as I was the 2009 UHR.

The high relief series gold 2015 was uncirculated, 2017 proof/cameo, 2019 enhanced, 2021 and 2023 proof/cameo. The article discusses the dies and profile but not proof or unc.

Any real insight as to the finish for 2025?

• Options
    LiquidatedLiquidated Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@PhillyJoe said:
    I think Intaglio Mint beat the US Mint with their 1794 silver 2 ouncer. I think I have some somewhere.

@PhillyJoe said:

@PhillyJoe said:

Bought it few months ago along with their 1oz St. Gaudens. As I compared the St Gaudens to my 2009 UHR thought how nice the 1794 would be in gold and here we are.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with pretty much everyone here, it's going to be too perfect and that gives it an unrealistic look.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file