Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My recent pick ups for a Dansco 7070

I started working on a Dansco 7070 back in 2007 but stopped in 2009. In 2010 I had to sell some of the good coins because I needed the cash at the time. Anyway, I'm in a place where I can start working on a 7070 again and I'm excited to get back into collecting. I'm trying to put together a modest 7070 this time. So, here are two recent coins I bought a few days ago from fleaBay:

1798 Draped Bust Large Cent - I could have went with an 1800-1807 and got a better grade, but I wanted to have a coin from the 18th century in my collection.

1925 Stone Mountain Commemorative - This is the first half-dollar commemorative for the set. I'm not sure what it is about this design but it's one of my favorites. What's the verdict if this was cleaned/not cleaned?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you’re off to a great start 👍🏼

Mr_Spud

• Options

If the Stone Mountain had been cleaned, it was a very long time ago. It's a miracle that every coin we see hasn't been subjected to some type of cleaning.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I like the 7070 album.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 great additions. Always nice to include a large cent from the 1700's

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great start! Keep it up, and keep us updated!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halcyon - Let's see some pictures of where your set stands today.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great start and a great set!
    I enjoyed building this set more than any other sets I have built. So many beautiful coin designs and so many different denominations.
    If I could suggest something, being their are so many different coins and designs you can't be an expert on all of them, so, I recommend that you buy the coins already graded, in what ever holder you want just so you know that the coin is authentic and doesn't have any issues. This way you can be sure of every coin. You can either leave the coin in it's holder ( they do make a binder that holds TPG holders) or remove it and put the coin in the album and have the cert#s and grade attached to the back of the album. Not sure which way you're going to do it. If you're building a PCGS set then of course all the coins must be PCGS graded
    Good luck, look forward to seeing your progress

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the additions. It's a fun task filling a 7070.

• Options

@Halcyon said:
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Halcyon - Let's see some pictures of where your set stands today.

I took some pictures just now, I don't have the greatest collection but I took the pictures anyway. Some of these coins are from when I'd go to the flea market with my father as a kid to get coins, so they have provenance value. Also, I will be getting an Intercept Shield US Type album instead of the Dansco 7070 as soon as it comes back in stock. The Dansco has tarnished some of the coins with an ugly light brown hue, even with the "archival quality" sleeve. This damage can be seen most easily on the last page with the bicentennials, proofs, and the ASE that was perfect when it was placed in the album. Also some of the half dollars on the previous page have tarnished, too. I slid the slider over to see if it was the tint from the sliders, but unfortunately they have been tarnished:

I also have a modern commemorative POW coin in a slab, and this Flying Eagle Cent that hasn't been placed in the album:

I had a beautiful Flying Eagle Cent at one time but had to sell it in 2010 when I needed some cash, along with a slabbed Trade Dollar and Seated Liberty Dollar. This time around I'm trying to put together a modest 7070, I figure once all the holes are filled I can sell and upgrade some of the coins later. Thanks for all the replies :)

That is OUTSTANDING @Halcyon! You're cookin' with grease now. Nothing wrong with that! That's exactly how most of us started with our 7070's. Just take your time and find the coins you like... Unless you're really really old, then maybe you should hurry up! :D Keep us posted on your progression.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

Not a thing wrong with that 1798 cent. I had an 04 in my Dansco years ago, but needed the cash and sold off the entire book. Putting another together now.

Nice looking set.

imageimage

• Options
    HalcyonHalcyon Posts: 12 ✭✭

So the 1798 Large Cent and the 1925 Stone Mountain Half Dollar were delivered a few days ago. I'm a bit disappointed with the 1798 Large Cent, I have to put it under strong lighting and catch reflections to see any of the coin. Otherwise, it looks like a brown cull. The auction pictures don't exactly misrepresent the coin, but they were taken with a perfect angle and lighting. I have annotated this as a 'Maybe' to upgrade after all the 7070 holes are filled.

The 1925 Stone Mountain Half Dollar, on the other hand, was listed a AU+ but it looks better in person. The pictures of the reverse were just a bit out of focus which masked some of the detail. It looks to be in uncirculated condition, and I tend to under-grade my coins.

• Options
    edited October 22, 2023 7:04PM

I'm returning the large cent. I spent some time taking some pictures to try to get it to look chocolate brown like in the photos, and I was able to do it by using intense warm lighting or by using a filter on my phone. The seller could have used either method; regardless it's a bit dishonest to take pictures that misrepresent the coin. It doesn't look like that in person.

On a happier note, I'm playing around with taking pictures of my coins with a macro lens for my phone. Here's the Stone Mountain, which I'm very happy with this coin:

Here's the same flying eagle I posted earlier:

• Options

After reading about the 7070 albums I think this is a sign I should start one :)

Steven59 Posts: 7,070

• Options

@Halcyon said:
    I'm returning the large cent. I spent some time taking some pictures to try to get it to look chocolate brown like in the photos, and I was able to do it by using intense warm lighting or by using a filter on my phone. The seller could have used either method; regardless it's a bit dishonest to take pictures that misrepresent the coin. It doesn't look like that in person.

I'm very glad you deiced to return the 1798 one cent piece. I know you will be able to find a much better coin.
    Good luck, and take your time!

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    After reading about the 7070 albums I think this is a sign I should start one :)

Steven59 Posts: 7,070

Got a plan for this set?

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    Got a plan for this set?

Go through my collection of raw coins first then start searching for coins I don't have.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 7070 is a fun side-collection where I put the odds and ends I've collected over the years as well as coins that have special meaning to me such as the best coins found coin hunting and coins handed down to me by my grandparents. It's also a set I can purchase coins for anytime I'm in a coin shop. Most shops don't carry key date SLHs, circulated commemoratives, or Newfoundland halves, so it's nice to have a set to fill in those situations.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2023 6:29PM

So I picked up a couple more coins from fleabay. The first one is a replacement for the Draped Bust Large Cent. It's also a 1798 but it's in better condition than the first one, these were the best pictures I could take of it. I'm using a clip on macro lens for my iPhone. It has a die crack on the obverse and reverse, which I like:

The next coin is a 1893 Columbian Exposition Commemorative Half Dollar that I got for a good price. It's not this white in person, it actually has a bit of brown-ish toning on it but this was the best picture I could manage:

Let me know what you think

• Options

Nice additions @Halcyon!

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your new 1798 cent. It might be fun for you try to attribute it -- the die crack, cud etc. should make that possible.

mirabela
  • Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! I just forwarded the thread to a 7070 collector here so he could get some ideas and inspirations . . .

Drunner

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent additions to the set. It took me three times before I finally finished my 7070. It's quite the undertaking... best of luck, and have fun!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@mirabela said:
    I like your new 1798 cent. It might be fun for you try to attribute it -- the die crack, cud etc. should make that possible.

I hadn't thought of that, it sounds like a good idea though

@DRUNNER said:
    Well done! I just forwarded the thread to a 7070 collector here so he could get some ideas and inspirations . . .

Drunner

Oh, well I hope my collection could inspire someone! It's very modest compared to some I've seen

@lkenefic said:
    Excellent additions to the set. It took me three times before I finally finished my 7070. It's quite the undertaking... best of luck, and have fun!

Thanks, I'm going to try to tackle some of the more expensive coins next. I'm fighting the want to get higher grade coins or get more modest pieces so that I can finish the set in my lifetime :D

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fun project. The classic head cent and seated dollars will be the defining coins.

mirabela
  • Options

The Classic Head LC is the one piece I compromised on... I had been looking for a nice un-corroded or damaged VF20 or better for almost a year... oh, and LESS than $2k... I ended up buying an ANACS VF30 Details (corrosion) coin at less than a third of what straight graded coins were being offered for. That freed up money to make significant headway on other coins in the set... mostly VF to AU pieces with a few MS coins for easier dates.. Now that I finished the set, the Classic head LC will likely be the first piece I upgrade...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

Seems there are a few of us wanting to upgrade the Classic Head LC, looking to take my VF-25 to a higher level :)

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice progress with some nice recent additions. Keep up the great work.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Cool pickup... I was looking for a chopped Trade Dollar for my Box of 20 to accompany the chop marked 8 Reales I have in this set....

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice new pickup!!!

Congrats, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

The set is looking good. I haven't really added anything to mine in awhile other than a 20C piece I traded for here on the boards. I actually had to take some coins out of mine that were turning hazy (modern proofs, easy to replace). the large cents and half cents is where I am headed next, I think.

imageimage

• Options

Thanks everyone, I think my next coin will be some denomination of the Capped Bust design. This is my least favorite US coin design out of the 7070, so I figure that after the latest Trade Dollar pickup that I like so much that I'll hold my nose and get something I don't particularly like :D

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a fine-looking set so far

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bust 5 cent piece should look really good in the album.

Mr_Spud

• Options

Looks more like VF details. I'm seeing faint hairlines in the obverse field in front of Ms. Liberty. This might indicate a previous cleaning but if it was cleaned, it was long ago and not harshly so... nice album coin.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gouge behind Liberty’s cap is a little bothersome, as well as the faint scratches mentioned. These likely kept the price down. But otherwise it looks to be a decent album coin for your set.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

Great additions - I've been trying to buy a 7070 -

• Options

@Steven59 said:

As of April 2023, the 7070 is back in production (according to Dansco's website), so you should be able to get one. Probably won't be cheap, but they should start showing back up. I love mine.

As for the Bust 5c, I think it would look great in an album; definitely some old color on that one.

imageimage

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halcyon said:
    Thanks everyone, I think my next coin will be some denomination of the Capped Bust design. This is my least favorite US coin design out of the 7070, so I figure that after the latest Trade Dollar pickup that I like so much that I'll hold my nose and get something I don't particularly like :D

Why buy what you don’t like?

You can define your 7070 / type set however you want to! You could fill the hole with another coin or token that you do like if having the empty slot bothers you.

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:

@Steven59 said:

As of April 2023, the 7070 is back in production (according to Dansco's website), so you should be able to get one. Probably won't be cheap, but they should start showing back up. I love mine.

Yes, I saw them on eBay and they are around $50 give or take a few dollars. I was bidding on a used one but even that sold for $44.

• Options

So, not to deviate from your post too much but just a FYI, to a fellow 7070 slave….. I reached out to the folks at Dansco about a 7070 volume 2, or page additions, this past October. The kind gentleman responded they had some initial plans for a volume 2 before moving the company to Washington. Then things shifted as they caught up with producing existing volumes. He was very clear the volume 2 idea is still viable and to reach back out this summer. Fingers crossed.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 11:28AM

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    So, not to deviate from your post too much but just a FYI, to a fellow 7070 slave….. I reached out to the folks at Dansco about a 7070 volume 2, or page additions, this past October. The kind gentleman responded they had some initial plans for a volume 2 before moving the company to Washington. Then things shifted as they caught up with producing existing volumes. He was very clear the volume 2 idea is still viable and to reach back out this summer. Fingers crossed.

I designed an update page to include the Jefferson (Bison, Keel Boat, etc... ) and Lincoln varieties of 2009. Been trying to make it, but having difficulties cutting the inner board. I sent the design to Dansco and asked about pricing for a one-off, but never heard back; this was during the move and subsequent flood.

imageimage

• Options

@GaCoinGuy said:

I designed an update page to include the Jefferson (Bison, Keel Boat, etc... ) and Lincoln varieties of 2009. Been trying to make it, but having difficulties cutting the inner board. I sent the design to Dansco and asked about pricing for a one-off, but never heard back; this was during the move and subsequent flood.

Let me see it.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 12:03PM

That's a great job @GaCoinGuy! If you don't want to wait for a company to fabricate that, you might consider doing something like this.

Not the best pictures but you get the idea.

• Options

I think my issue is my inner board is simply too dense. I am thinking of getting some shim punches cut to size to simply punch them out rather than trying to use a cutter.

imageimage

• Options

I used a blank small dollar page.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file