Home Sports Talk

The official 2023 Philadelphia Phillies playoff thread

stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've received hundreds, no, it has to be thousands, of PM's from CU members saying stevek you've got to start a Phillies playoff thread. I kept telling them I can't do it, I've already got an Eagles season thread going, and that's exhausting enough, I just can't handle two Philadelphia team season threads at once. They replied, stevek, you've got to do it, it's your duty and obligation as a Philly fan, it has to be done, you have no choice.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

All kidding aside, both the Phillies and Diamondbacks have some very nice momentum going on right now.

Should be a heckuva NLCS. 😊

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck Steve I’ll be rooting for the Phillies since Mike Schmidt is just a distant, mildly annoying memory at this time. 🤣

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2023 10:50AM

the playoffs have been insane. wonder what the odds were of these four teams not even making it to the championship series

Atlanta - 104 wins (out)
    Baltimore - 101 (out)
    LA Dodgers - 100 (out)
    Tampa Bay - 99 (out)

gl to your Phillies. when's the last time you went to one of their games?

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    the playoffs have been insane. wonder what the odds were of these four teams not even making it to the championship series

Atlanta - 104 wins (out)
    Baltimore - 101 (out)
    LA Dodgers - 100 (out)
    Tampa Bay - 99 (out)

gl to your Phillies. when's the last time you went to one of their games?

It's been a number of years. My Dad years ago had four beautiful season ticket seats along the third base line, a few rows up, between the dugout and home plate, for around fifteen years or so. Couldn't really get much better seats than that.

So from getting free seats, fantastic seats, and going to so many games, I think i probably got burnt out, spoiled so to speak, from attending so many games. Frankly, even if I had those seats again, I think i would rather just watch the games from the comfort of my living room. Not have to drive down there, park, and all that BS. 😊

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will probably follow the o/u lines. Has the possibility of a few games at least for some high scoring.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I will probably follow the o/u lines. Has the possibility of a few games at least for some high scoring.

Tough to predict this one. Phillies beat a tough Braves team, but the D-backs beat a tough team as well.

Momentum means so much in MLB in the post season, but both teams have it. Which one has the most? We shall see.

No complaints from me either way. Early in this season, the Phillies were flat as yell, and appeared as though they had little chance to make it to the playoffs. Yes, they had injuries, but it still appeared bleak.

Frankly, I had my doubts that they could beat Atlanta, but the Phils did so rather handily. So I'm glad to get here, and if we don't get further, well then we don't get further, I'd still consider it a decent season. 😊

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Phillies have won the World Series twice since the franchise moved from Worcester, Massachusetts in 1883. In 1961 they set an all-time Major League baseball record when they lost 23 games in a row. I was a young fan at the time. The old timers talked about losing 109 games out of a 154 game schedule.

The greatest Phillie teams were from the mid 1970s until the early ‘80s. Unfortunately the Cincinnati Reds were better.

Anything we Phillie fans get is a bonus. Last year was a surprise gift. Maybe this year will be a miracle. B)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The Phillies have won the World Series twice since the franchise moved from Worcester, Massachusetts in 1883. In 1961 they set an all-time Major League baseball record when they lost 23 games in a row. I was a young fan at the time. The old timers talked about losing 109 games out of a 154 game schedule.

The greatest Phillie teams were from the mid 1970s until the early ‘80s. Unfortunately the Cincinnati Reds were better.

Anything we Phillie fans get is a bonus. Last year was a surprise gift. Maybe this year will be a miracle. B)

I believe Worcester now has minor league hockey and baseball. Not sure if duck pin bowling is still available.

@Applejacks said:

@BillJones said:

I believe Worcester now has minor league hockey and baseball. Not sure if duck pin bowling is still available.

Also a tasty sauce available there, if I'm not mistaken.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Applejacks said:

@BillJones said:

Also a tasty sauce available there, if I'm not mistaken.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great, another Philadelphia thread, that's all I need to ruin my day. Boo. Hiss. Go Rangers!

Good start. Let's see if we can finish this up with game 1 in the bag.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2023 5:54PM

I like Phillies chances.

I'd like to see either them.or the Rangers win it.

Bryce Harper has grown on me, I like the guys fire in the playoffs

Come on Bryce - we want another one.

Zack moving 'em down.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phillies (as well as the Rangers) very surprising how good they are playing this post season

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

How come the Phillies don't bat in the bottom of the 9th?

I wanted to see more runs.

Phillies, please stop scoring so many runs. You're embarrassing the poor Diamondbacks.

Phillies must have eaten their Wheaties today!

@Steven59 said:

The whole box. 😂

The Diamondbacks have surrendered the game.

Surrender terms are being negotiated. Phillies may allow them to take home their gloves.

This just in - the Diamondback hitters are complaining to the umps that the Phillies are cheating.

The claim is the Phillies pitchers are throwing the ball too fast.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2023 11:39PM

@stevek said:
    This just in - the Diamondback hitters are complaining to the umps that the Phillies are cheating.

BALK !

@stevek said:

It's true. You can't hit what you don't see. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

126,579 ticket holders in Philly Tuesday night.

62,000 for a soccer game almost equaled the Phillies + Flyers combined attendance.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Oh yeah. Go Phillies and Rangers !
    Always cheering for an in state team.

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@4for4 said:
    126,579 ticket holders in Philly Tuesday night.

62,000 for a soccer game almost equaled the Phillies + Flyers combined attendance.

I don't follow soccer at all, but I think that is an amazing attendance. I wouldn't have figured 1/10th of that attendance for that game.

@perkdog said:
    I like Phillies chances.

I'd like to see either them.or the Rangers win it.

Bryce Harper has grown on me, I like the guys fire in the playoffs

"I'd like to see either them.or the Rangers win it."

Paul - your wish is looking pretty good right now.

Hope ya had some decent coin on these LCS games. 😊

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

Let’s hope they can save some runs for the coming games.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Pitching Scherzer sure backfired for Texas tonight. Hopefully Philly won't follow suit tomorrow.

edited October 18, 2023 9:17PM

@Steven59 said:
    Pitching Scherzer sure backfired for Texas tonight. Hopefully Philly won't follow suit tomorrow.

Phillies were only around .500 on the road this season. So it might be tough for them to close out the series in Arizona.

However the Phillies are red hot right now, so you never can tell.

I did Google it, and teams that start off a seven game series with two wins, have won the series at around an 85% success rate. So past stats still leave the D-backs with around a 15% chance of winning it. I sure ain't counting any chickens yet.

Okay, I'll count two, but I need four. 🐔🐔

Yep, lightning strikes again. Philly sure coulda used a few of them 10 runs today that they scored the other day.

edited October 19, 2023 5:51PM

And Houston jumps on Texas early again. Rangers starting pitcher went 2/3 of an inning - 4 hits and 3 runs. Sad!

@Steven59 said:
    Yep, lightning strikes again. Philly sure coulda used a few of them 10 runs today that they scored the other day.

Only 3 hits. 🙁

Well, we knew the Phillies weren't going to sweep this series.

I'm still pleased with 2-1.

And it was a walk off in the 9th - worst way to go.

After Texas blew it again today it's nice to see the Phillies come back from 2-0 down to take a 5-3 lead

AND the Phillies blow it in the 8th - series tied 2 - 2

@Steven59 said:
    AND the Phillies blow it in the 8th - series tied 2 - 2

Phillies still have the advantage in the series with one road game and two home games scheduled.

Even if the Phillies were to lose game five and go 2-3, it would still be by no means hopeless coming back home to battle it out.

I'm still optimistic, although not as much as i was after game two. 😐

My wife and I have been watching the Phil/Dbacks series. She commented on Kimbrels posture. She said he looks like he's about to fly away off the mound as if he has bird wings when he looks for the signs. What can I tell her?

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    My wife and I have been watching the Phil/Dbacks series. She commented on Kimbrels posture. She said he looks like he's about to fly away off the mound as if he has bird wings when he looks for the signs. What can I tell her?

Reminds me of the scene in the movie Moneyball when "nobody" wanted to sign that sidearm pitcher because he throws funny. Well Billy Beane signed him because as he would say, he gets batters out.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Reminds me of the scene in the movie Moneyball when "nobody" wanted to sign that sidearm pitcher because he throws funny. Well Billy Beane signed him because as he would say, he gets batters out.

I hate how they portrayed everything in that movie. It was cast really well, and the actors played their roles great. However, they act like they won because of minor moves and completely ignores Zito/Hudson/Mulder/Chavez/Tatis/Dye etc

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I hate how they portrayed everything in that movie. It was cast really well, and the actors played their roles great. However, they act like they won because of minor moves and completely ignores Zito/Hudson/Mulder/Chavez/Tatis/Dye etc

Well like all Hollywood movies based on true stories, they often take poetic license with the facts.

Frankly since the advent of the internet, I find it infinitely more interesting to watch a documentary on Youtube or elsewhere about some subject, rather than watch some actors portray it with fiction written into the screenplay.

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Well like all Hollywood movies based on true stories, they often take poetic license with the facts.

Frankly since the advent of the internet, I find it infinitely more interesting to watch a documentary on Youtube or elsewhere about some subject, rather than watch some actors portray it with fiction written into the screenplay.

I agree. Its just usually they dont cast perfectly and still mess it up. Huge missed opportunity with that cast

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@stevek said:
    Even if the Phillies were to lose game five and go 2-3, it would still be by no means hopeless coming back home to battle it out.

But I'd sure rather be going home up 3-2 than down 2-3. Should be an interesting game tonight.

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I agree. Its just usually they dont cast perfectly and still mess it up. Huge missed opportunity with that cast

It was a pretty good movie and you're right, well cast.

That being said, the screenplay fiction was obvious throughout the movie. In the scene where Brad Pitt goes to Cleveland and tries to make a trade. He would have never flown to Cleveland just to do something that could be handled just as easily on the phone. But they needed to fictionally write that as a way for him to meet Pete. Then more fiction followed because there is no conceivable way that Billy would have walked into the Indians private administrative area and spoken to Pete at his desk. In real life, Billy could have been arrested and/or sued for doing that.

Turns out, i didn't know it at the time when first watching the movie, the vitriol between Billy and A's manager Art Howe was mostly fabricated by the screenwriter. Howe has clearly stated over the years that he was wrongly portrayed, and that he had no problem with the "Moneyball" concept, anything that could help the team.

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

It was a pretty good movie and you're right, well cast.

That being said, the screenplay fiction was obvious throughout the movie. In the scene where Brad Pitt goes to Cleveland and tries to make a trade. He would have never flown to Cleveland just to do something that could be handled just as easily on the phone. But they needed to fictionally write that as a way for him to meet Pete. Then more fiction followed because there is no conceivable way that Billy would have walked into the Indians private administrative area and spoken to Pete at his desk. In real life, Billy could have been arrested and/or sued for doing that.

Turns out, i didn't know it at the time when first watching the movie, the vitriol between Billy and A's manager Art Howe was mostly fabricated by the screenwriter. Howe has clearly stated over the years that he was wrongly portrayed, and that he had no problem with the "Moneyball" concept, anything that could help the team.

I'm okay with the exaggeration over the trade and finding Pete part knowing its a movie. Theres always things like that like how he somehow was an hour away in his truck and turned around to get back to the field in less than an inning . Or the dumb stuff like having Pete tell someone they were traded for dramatic effect. A GM also wouldnt tell someone they were being sent down in the middle of the locker room or even be telling guys that anyways, the coach would in his office.

It was the more major things like the whole making Art look like an idiot and basically elevating Billy to the smartest GM in the history of the world who was also setting lineups was very annoying. Ignoring all the superstars on the team, acting like Pete had full control over their drafts and scouts meant nothing stuff that was just awful.

They did finally hint at it a little bit at the end when they were talking about the catcher who was an absolute bust. They missed much more than they hit on those "moneyball" guys.

I'd love a second movie about how they went on to be sporadically good and the worst team in the league 20 years later lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

When you see in the opening credits"based on a true story" you can expect a certain amount of leeway with the story.Sometimes more informative reading the book.

So far so good - Phillies up 4-0 7th. Schwarber, Harper homer in the 6th.

I never watched moneyball because I knew the outcome was playoff failure. A bunch of regular season hotshots who turn into losers and choke in the playoffs. Didn’t waste my time on it.
    The Royals actually went to two World Series in a row with a low payroll and a lineup of clutch players. Much more entertaining watching a success story.

I wasn’t watching the early innings but the box score says Harper stole home
    Details anyone? Was it during the pitch? Was the pitcher walking around not paying attention?