Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

found 1943 copper cent witrh m`1ultiple date error

I Buy junk cars , amazing for a coin collector. Recently bought a 1971 lincoln , searched it for coins before crushing it . brought home my loot, and found this, Now I have took it to coin shop who used a small loop and nothing else. She wanted to wiegh it , which i had done. and checked with magnet, its copper.Then after just 3 seconds with the loop, She said its a 45 not a 43, well i tried to explain what i see with my coin magnifier , but her disbelif was great, I understand . it was hard for me to believe myself. The issue with it is. Its multi dated and I mean everywhere. The date if closely observed, is over printed making the 3 which is over a smaller 4 look like a 5. but its not the right size for a 5, I explained if you look closely you can see in between the 1 and 9 there is another 1 a 9 partial;ly on the 4 and a 4 on the 3 as well as sideways 3's on or over the 3 . and then it has it again and again in different directions and even smaller, it even has it on the reverse side.look closely at pic. does anyone else see the doubling date. again the 4 on the 3 makes it appear as if it is a 5 . but its not , its not even what the 5 looks like on a real 45.

Comments

• Options

Also something to notice right away on back with just a naked eye, the strong cameo on back, one weak , one dark tinted and very strong.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, barely a wheatie. Should've left it in the junker.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

This right here is why I started a MyCollect group for Certified Lincoln Cents with myself as admin having approval over whether something gets posted or not. Parking lot roadkill is too kind a description for this coin.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

More pictures would be helpful, i think. Get some really close shots.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

There is absolutely nothing to indicate that is a 1943. A good understanding of the minting process is key if you are going to collect coins. Study up on it and you will see why the multiple date scenario you suggest is not possible.

• Options
    Russell12Russell12 Posts: 193 ✭✭✭✭

These type of posts make my head explode. I belong to a few facebook coin threads, and they are constantly there also.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both you and your dealer friend are mistaken. Its just a beat up 1944 D cent.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@gumby1234 said:

Actually, I thought 41 or 44. That blob on the end could be either a "1" or a "4" to my eye.

I sometimes envy people like the OP. I mean it must be really liberating and enjoyable to have such absolute faith. I mean, no matter how many dealers, experts, or cranks on the internet tell you it's a common junk coin, you remain faithfully excited at your discovery. There's a certain bliss in that, isn't there?

What difference does it make whether the date is a 1941 or a 1944? What matters is that it’s clearly not a 1943. That much is easy to determine, due to the shape and placement of the “3” in the date on examples from 1943, compared to this coin.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@gumby1234 said:

Actually, I thought 41 or 44. That blob on the end could be either a "1" or a "4" to my eye.

I sometimes envy people like the OP. I mean it must be really liberating and enjoyable to have such absolute faith. I mean, no matter how many dealers, experts, or cranks on the internet tell you it's a common junk coin, you remain faithfully excited at your discovery. There's a certain bliss in that, isn't there?

What difference does it make whether the date is a 1941 or a 1944? What matters is that it’s clearly not a 1943. That much is easy to determine, due to the shape and placement of the “3” in the date on examples from 1943, compared to this coin.

I didn't say it did "matter". Just offered my impression.

I am oddly being challenged on the most mundane comments. And then I get called "argumentative". Maybe it's time to retire...

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2023 7:11AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@gumby1234 said:

I didn't say it did "matter". Just offered my impression.

I am oddly being challenged on the most mundane comments. And then I get called "argumentative". Maybe it's time to retire...

Don’t you dare!😉

By the way, my post was primarily for the potential benefit of the OP.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something like this makes me wonder sometimes of how much time and/or money a person will actually spend on researching an old corroded valueless cent. Social media has turned people into treasure hunters searching for that 1 in millions coin. Probably better chances of hitting the power ball lottery.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok now there will be no fighting boys or you will be sent to your rooms without dinner.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll cut you some slack because your relatively new.
    When you post coins this rare you're supposed to monitor your post and answer all questions and comments that come up regardless of the time and what you are doing.
    My opinion the copper cent looks like a 1944.
    Maybe you could scrape a little more on the last digit to reviel it while thinking of a scratch off lottery ticket.

Remember the golden rule number (!:'47;'57;'993 bv) if you can't see it with 10x magnification or less it ain't that magnificent.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might help if you put some Nic-A-Date on the date area of your coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was a horrible disservice to the coin community. Should have left it in the junker and let it die.

bob :)
    vegas baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

junk coin is what i call this coin not even i would of kept this, all it is a wheat penny that should of never seen the light of day at least IMHO

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@xBECCA001 - Either you are being silly with your posts, or you do not understand coins. If the latter, please stick around, keep an open mind, and ask good questions. If the former, you may want to try to approach this forum differently. When one makes posts like this continuously, they typically get ignored by the very people who can help the most.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@xBECCA001 said:
    Also something to notice right away on back with just a naked eye, the strong cameo on back

I do not see any cameo. :D

Did you mean "strong camel"? I can kind of see the humps:

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

What in the name of copper (II) oxide am I looking at :s

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    The error in the date is that it is not a 1943.

Google pareidolia.

Also ask yourself why no one has ever taken a high resolution photo of Bigfoot.

It was nice to meet you. I'm sure you'll be gone by Monday. But we love to see new members!

wont be gone im a platinum member but thanks for your confidence and your Opinion.

• Options

@xBECCA001 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    The error in the date is that it is not a 1943.

Google pareidolia.

Also ask yourself why no one has ever taken a high resolution photo of Bigfoot.

It was nice to meet you. I'm sure you'll be gone by Monday. But we love to see new members!

wont be gone im a platinum member but thanks for your confidence and your Opinion.

My apologies. We have one or two people every weekend show up with road kill coins. They are usually gone by Monday. I was just playing the odds.

Then you could send it in. Even in that condition, a 1943 would be a 5 figure coin.

• Options

@IkesT said:

@xBECCA001 said:
    Also something to notice right away on back with just a naked eye, the strong cameo on back

its seen with naked eye, that has been verified by dealer, sorry for bad pics . I will do better next time. i tried to stablize my camera with no luck.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@xBECCA001 said:

its seen with naked eye, that has been verified by dealer, sorry for bad pics . I will do better next time. i tried to stablize my camera with no luck.

I'm confused! What was verified by a dealer?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like I've seen these pics before on the forum...

If a dealer "verified" this coin then find out how much they'll offer for it. That's where the proof is.

• Options

@xBECCA001 said:

@IkesT said:

@xBECCA001 said:

Do you know what "cameo" means in the coin world? It is impossible for a corroded coin to show any "cameo" much less a strong cameo.

• Options

@bsshog40 said:

@xBECCA001 said:

I'm confused! What was verified by a dealer?

The "cameo"... allegedly.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another copper 43 found. They don't seem to be as rare as stated. B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭

Here's another one right here! :o

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/BwSts2s4ba4?si=Xw1X2_uCZd3gWb0t
    Unintentional comedy at work.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@xBECCA001 said:

@gonzer said:

i tried to stablize my camera with no luck.

Your camera's not the one that's unstable.

wow i thought this was a real site , you know with novice coin collectors not novice assholes. What a disgrace to the to hiumanity to just be so damn rude, for sure something must be wrong with you, to attack for no reason,.move along troll

Regardless of what you think, and I really can't tell what you think given that this is such an obviously corroded and environmentally damaged coin that you couldn't possibly believe what you wrote in the first post, if you respond the way you have in the quote above then the moderators on the site might make quick work of you and ban you Monday morning.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@Fraz said:

@xBECCA001 said:
    wow i thought this was a real site , you know with novice coin collectors not novice assholes.

Do not call me novice again.

That's right...your an advanced *******. ;)

POTD everyone! Give it up for TomB 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file