Home U.S. Coin Forum

How is MyCollect doing a few months into operations?

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seemed like there was a lot of excitement when MyCollect was launched (including a multi page thread on this forum). I joined as well but it didn't seem to draw me in as much as other platforms (this forum, CoinTalk, IG). I also did not see much in the way of comments or discussions. And it was not as simple to post a video like it is on IG (last I heard there was no app and so the mobile experience was less than ideal-especially compared to IG or this forum).

Is anyone on here actively on MyCollect? How has the experience been for you? Is the site growing, stagnating, or declining?

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to check it out...

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is getting anywhere near the traffic that was expected. New posts can't be numbering more than 15 a day or so from what I see.

Coin Photographer.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I visit MyCollect several times a day and never go to IG for coin related things (I do use IG for other content).

I like the platform and post there regularly. I also use it to connect with new people and some that are also here. I would like to see the bust half group get more action over there as it is a central location to discuss things as opposed to a thread here and there. So far there is little posted by others.

I also like the inventory and set building capabilities there. I would think others would find the set registry nice because you can load PCGS, CACG and NGC slabs.

As an add on, just went there now and had a message from a "friend" about a coin available.

@lermish said:
    I was somewhat excited when it began but I have found myself logging in less and less often, maybe once a week now, and when I do I see very little new content or posts.

Yes you are correct. I am surprised more don't use it for tracking sets.

If I had not bought and posted coins from you and @pursuitofliberty there would be very little new content on the Bust Half Group page. I posted a message a few days ago asking the 131 followers to put some photos up. Nothing yet but I check each day to see.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its definitely slow over there. I think it has potential except for chatting with other collectors.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2023 5:08AM

I've started a Certified Lincoln Cents group and it has 78 members currently, but the excitement seems to have died down a lot and frankly almost no one else ever posts in the group. I've even written a couple of articles on Lincoln cents as an educational aid for beginning collectors. Not much traction there either.

I think Ian had better start ranking some of those Registry Sets people have posted and maybe do some other things to create a stir, or it's going to end up like (ahem) Sleepy Hollow. IYKYK.

Frankly, I have to say my attendance and participation in this forum are way down as well since PCGS has screwed up the whole Digital Album Photos mess and no one at PCGS seems to care (save for one kind photographer).

Kind regards, George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.

One by one I have been finding/adding "friends" on MyCollect. I go by the same "name" there so feel free to send a friend invite. It is easier to see posts if linked as friend.

@pcgscacgold said:

@lermish said:
    I was somewhat excited when it began but I have found myself logging in less and less often, maybe once a week now, and when I do I see very little new content or posts.

Yes you are correct. I am surprised more don't use it for tracking sets.

If I had not bought and posted coins from you and @pursuitofliberty there would be very little new content on the Bust Half Group page. I posted a message a few days ago asking the 131 followers to put some photos up. Nothing yet but I check each day to see.

I just posted a new Bust half Trueview, my little contribution @pcgscacgold . Take care! George

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect we are the “beta testers”, and they will be making changes based on how the platform has been used. Remember that Ian owns an extremely successful auction business and has (as far as I know) done nothing to promote MyCollect except make a post here on the forum. I still enjoy using it and have even bought a couple coins by messaging on the platform.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still love the concept of having areas of specialized knowledge without threads getting buried. Unfortunately, I have been keeping the half cent group afloat. FB already has a very successful HC group, so that hurts traffic on MyCollect. I hate FB with a passion, but once something is established, people don't want to convert.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not visited the site as yet. But will eventually get there. Its mentioned here there are some articles that were posted on the site. May learn something new.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fair to middling- but I wish them success

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still with Collective Coin
    https://collectivecoin.com/
    It's the best for my purposes. Simple, intuitive and NOT AT ALL mimicking ANY.... social ....media site.
    I'm using it for my BST in the World Coin category here.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1095375/group-of-world-coins-for-sale-couple-gold-coins-added#latest

:)

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel somewhat guilty to say it, but I visited and registered on the site the first day it was available, and I’ve never gone back since to check it out.

There was even a booth at the ANA for the website

• FrankHFrankH Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

From grading to "coin sites" ....complication isn't a positive thing. :(

• WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the groups concept but don't like the main page being dominated by coins for sale.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I check in every couple days. Not much new in the groups I follow. Including the BST.

• ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

I don't get the same vibe from my collect as I get here by that I mean friendliness, commoradary and just feeling welcomed. There is very little interaction among posters

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome comrade @Conshyboy ! We do have camaraderie here (said in a friendly manner). ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited October 1, 2023 8:29AM

Lol I was unsure of that spelling and didn't feel like looking it up but you're response is why I enjoy this Forum as opposed to others. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. @Catbert

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Windycity said:
    I like the groups concept but don't like the main page being dominated by coins for sale.

@Conshyboy said:
    I don't get the same vibe from my collect as I get here by that I mean friendliness, commoradary and just feeling welcomed. There is very little interaction among posters

Indeed. I agree with both of these statements, a lot.

Even though sometimes this place get's quiet, or a bit off center, in so many ways it really hard to beat this place. Thanks PCGS if you're reading this.

I registered, did a minor profile, and a post (or two?), and check occasionally. It isn't lively, so I don't participate.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was excited about it and posted more at the start than I do now; see little response to posts there.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny I was just wondering the same a few days ago. So I followed one of the links provided in an older thread to get to one of the groups. Like before you are unable to move around the site; this seems like a bad move as it means you cannot view very much of mycollect without creating a profile. There was a work around for this but that seems to have been closed off, I have not signed up and I still see no reason to at this time.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I joined and participate in a few groups. I have posted a few times , including photos. The responses to my posts and photos have been minimal. I now check in every couple of weeks and note the activity level is much less than on these forums.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The UC forum is the standard by which we judge other coin forums. Given the number of members here you only need a small percentage of the members adding content every day to keep the forum active versus a new forum where every member would have to add content every day to give the appears of a similar volume of activity.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

I had posted an interesting article here on CU regarding local steel mill destroying experimental coins back in the 70s it got many views and good comments put the same post on Mycollect and not one comment about the content of the story and its a dam good story. I just found it odd that nobody on that forum had anything to say about it.

edited October 5, 2023 4:19PM

@Conshyboy said:
    I had posted an interesting article here on CU regarding local steel mill destroying experimental coins back in the 70s it got many views and good comments put the same post on Mycollect and not one comment about the content of the story and its a dam good story. I just found it odd that nobody on that forum had anything to say about it.

I would have commented if I had seen it; I mostly see coins for sale or adds to folks inventory. I try to participate in a counterfeit reporting Group.

I could be wrong but my experience is that you see things from “friends”. As soon as someone here accepted my friend request I saw some things they had posted. Maybe I wasn’t looking in the right place though.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I could be wrong but my experience is that you see things from “friends”. As soon as someone here accepted my friend request I saw some things they had posted. Maybe I wasn’t looking in the right place though.

I think that is true. The only time you would see other posts (not from friends) is if you directly go to a group.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the concept. I created a couple of groups. The Civil War tokens group is I think 91 members. But maybe 3 or 4 people actually post. And nobody really comments about anything other than saying something is "nice."
    It's disheartening.
    Perhaps, the name suggest to people that it is something personal, and you simply post photos of your (MyCollect)ion.
    That isn't very fun or interesting. I like to engage in conversations about pieces and learn about history.
    The participation simply isn't there.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@burfle23 I had posted it in the articles section which at the time seemed appropriate it got 67 views but not 1 comment. I don't feel I make the connections there like I do here

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

People just seem strangely hesitant to reply to posts there. As if the whole point is someone documenting their collection by posting photos

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2023 6:08PM

I think the issue is that when someone replies to a post, it doesn't resurface that post to the top of the page for others. So people don't see replies. Maybe that's something @ianrussell can fix.

I try to interact with people's posts, but it does seem like people are reluctant to comment.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone else mentioned the excessive number of for sale posts, I noticed right away when I first looked at the site that many of the groups seemed to be heavily spammed with offers to sell coins. It may just be possible that the bulk of the members on mycollect are IG, internet sellers who are less interested in interaction just there to sell?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2023 8:27PM

I partake in MyCollect mainly by adding inventory. I think it’s unfortunate the “forum” concept is unwieldy, but that could be due to how this one (PCGS) is designed and laid out, and it’s different on MyCollect?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Someone else mentioned the excessive number of for sale posts, I noticed right away when I first looked at the site that many of the groups seemed to be heavily spammed with offers to sell coins. It may just be possible that the bulk of the members on mycollect are IG, internet sellers who are less interested in interaction just there to sell?

There's a lot of for sale posts because there's incentives to post for sale posts. It's free to post with potential to make money. There are less incentives for people to move their conversations from forums to MyCollect. Maybe over time if MyCollect improves it's site and there's more people joining, there will be more interactions. It's network effect that MyCollect does not have yet.

I think the inventory and set registry functions is great. When rankings and points system is added, I bet there will be renewed interest.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

There are several groups that are specifically called buy/sell/trade so when I was posting, I’d use those. However, it seems like some were posting the same item in those groups as well as the ones that weren’t meant to be sales groups (and that does give the impression of spamming).

@pcgscacgold said:

Well, I didn't unfriend anyone who had requested me friend them, but I did unfollow several and cut the sales ads in my feed way down...

@giorgio11 said:
    I've started a Certified Lincoln Cents group and it has 78 members currently, but the excitement seems to have died down a lot and frankly almost no one else ever posts in the group. I've even written a couple of articles on Lincoln cents as an educational aid for beginning collectors. Not much traction there either.

I think Ian had better start ranking some of those Registry Sets people have posted and maybe do some other things to create a stir, or it's going to end up like (ahem) Sleepy Hollow. IYKYK.

Frankly, I have to say my attendance and participation in this forum are way down as well since PCGS has screwed up the whole Digital Album Photos mess and no one at PCGS seems to care (save for one kind photographer).

Kind regards, George

Here's the link to the Certified Lincoln Cents group:
    https://mycollect.com/groups/certified_lincoln_cents

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giorgio11 said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards, George

I just joined your group. In a couple of days I’ll post my Lincoln Wheat DATE set. Photos will take a week or two longer.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

@winesteven It has been great to see all your coins there. I stop in at MyCollect first thing every morning. I have running conversations going with two or 3 people over there. It is so easy to "talk" with people on MyCollect.

I do wish more used the groups feature. It would be nice to learn about Capped Bust Halves and that is a much easier place to do it then here with thread after thread to weed through.

Your coins are superb. You have a great eye for quality. Congrats on what you have accomplished.

edited October 3, 2023 9:36AM

@winesteven said:

@giorgio11 said:

@giorgio11 said:

Kind regards, George

I just joined your group. In a couple of days I’ll post my Lincoln Wheat DATE set. Photos will take a week or two longer.

Steve

Welcome Steve! Looking forward to your participation!

Kind regards,

George

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it easy to use to keep track of multiple PCGS and NGC graded coins of the same date, mm and grade?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve largely been disappointed with it. Most posts are trying to sell things and there isn’t much participation in any area. It is a good idea but may need a lot more for it to start achieving its goals.

The fact it has been so long and their registries still aren’t active is very odd as well.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just downloaded the App on my phone today. I definitely like it and it's potentials

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file