Home U.S. Coin Forum

Registry Set Participation

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

With CACG planning it's own Set Registry, how do you plan to participate?

Registry Set Participation

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
«1

Comments

  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 8:32PM
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    I didn’t see an option for my category. I participate in the NGC registry using both NGC and PCGS coins. I do have PCGS registry sets but they will, realistically, never be complete, as they allow only PCGS coins. If CACG allows both PCGS and NGC coins, then I will likely register there, as well.

    “I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

    My Full Walker Registry Set:

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • jt88jt88 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    I think if you can complete couple registry sets that will be major achievement in your collection. It is hard to complete a nice set.

  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I did the PCGS thing for several years. I entered my coins in the NGC database, but eventually they decided to kick out all the PCGS coins. That was frustrating, but in a way it just deflated the whole registry thing for me. Going forward I think I'll still collect coins. Authentication and grading is necessary and useful, but the whole scene is a little boiled-over for my taste right now.

  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Walkerfan said:
    I didn’t see an option for my category. I participate in the NGC registry using both NGC and PCGS coins. I do have PCGS registry sets but they will, realistically, never be complete, as they allow only PCGS coins. If CACG allows both PCGS and NGC coins, then I will likely register there, as well.

    This ^ I do not believe in a registry that is exclusionary, inclusion only for me, that means very limited PCGS registry participation for me. We will have to see if CAC runs their registry as was originally laid out, or if it changes before it even gets running.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BryceM said:
    I did the PCGS thing for several years. I entered my coins in the NGC database, but eventually they decided to kick out all the PCGS coins. That was frustrating, but in a way it just deflated the whole registry thing for me. Going forward I think I'll still collect coins. Authentication and grading is necessary and useful, but the whole scene is a little boiled-over for my taste right now.

    This seems a bit confusing, I do not recall a time in the past 20+ years that NGC has "kicked out" PCGS graded coins in the US coin registry. There was a brief time where new PCGS graded coins were not allowed to be entered, but all previous coins were grandfathered in and counted, at least all mine did/have.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be participating in CACG's as well as PCGS' and/or NGC's

    Your choices don’t account for MyCollect. Ian’s site has a registry that allows coins from PCGS, NGC and eventually CACG.

    "Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    I have zero interest in any set registry

    I also don't participate since I don't want to be limited to any specific brand of slab and what coins that someone else thinks that I need to buy.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be participating in CACG's as well as PCGS' and/or NGC's

    Planning to participate in CAC Registry, but only because one of my PCGS sets is CAC only. If it’s a good experience, I’ll consider adding my other sets.

    Nothing is as expensive as free money.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and do not include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    @MapsOnFire said:
    Please add another category. I do not participate in set registries.

    Thank you for your comment. The survey was designed for the smaller group of collectors/dealers who do participate in Set Registries.

  • hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I need a category:

    I use the registry set as a back up to my excel spreadsheet. It stores my coin information and pictures in case I ever need it.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see the registry as a way of sharing what is possible- it is better than not sharing images of graded coins that can help other collectors. I do not see it as a competition but as a resource

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    You forgot mycollect.

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

    I only participate in NGC with both PCGS and NGC coins.

  • skier07skier07 Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I participate in my own registry set. My set consists of coins that I like and there are no rules.

  • JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 68 ✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    I have a PCGS registry since I prefer the look of PCGS slabs. Also It's pretty difficult to participate in a Cacg registry when they don't accept new clients.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and do not include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    @breakdown said:
    Your choices don’t account for MyCollect. Ian’s site has a registry that allows coins from PCGS, NGC and eventually CACG.

    @privatecoin said:
    You forgot mycollect.

    Thank you for your comments. There is also Gerry Fortin's Set Registry. This survey is limited to Grading Services' Set Registries.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and do not include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    @Dropdaflag said:
    I only participate in NGC with both PCGS and NGC coins.

    I missed that category! : )

  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be participating in CACG's as well as PCGS' and/or NGC's

    @JerseyB said:
    I have a PCGS registry since I prefer the look of PCGS slabs. Also It's pretty difficult to participate in a Cacg registry when they don't accept new clients.

    The two new CACG Registries will accept PCGS AND NGC coins. No points deducted for them not being graded by CACG!!!!!

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Points should simply not matter. What is unfortunate is that it takes what amounts to third party involvement to resolve something that should have been settled over a decade ago- sad... very sad... bordering on pathetic. And please... no excuses as there has been ample time to do the right thing.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • goldengolden Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    I only have PCGS Registry Sets.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinkat said:
    Points should simply not matter. What is unfortunate is that it takes what amounts to third party involvement to resolve something that should have been settled over a decade ago- sad... very sad... bordering on pathetic. And please... no excuses as there has been ample time to do the right thing.

    What's the right thing?

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf

    There are multiple options that would be better than what currently exists

    1. NGC and PCGS joint sponsored Registry;
    2. One will accept the other TPG coins on their registry at some mutual and reciprocal basis
    3. For several of the sets I am working on there simply are not enough graded examples of coins at certain grade levels to support just one TPG Registry.

    The current registry arrangement really is just not customer centric. The benefits to numismatics as intended simply do not meet expectations.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinkat said:
    @jmlanzaf

    There are multiple options that would be better than what currently exists

    1. NGC and PCGS joint sponsored Registry;
    2. One will accept the other TPG coins on their registry at some mutual and reciprocal basis
    3. For several of the sets I am working on there simply are not enough graded examples of coins at certain grade levels to support just one TPG Registry.

    The current registry arrangement really is just not customer centric. The benefits to numismatics as intended simply do not meet expectations.

    But the whole point of the registry at is to drive submissions. They should not accept other people's plastic.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

    We can simply agree to disagree. Submissions will come whether or not there is a registry.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @coinkat said:
    @jmlanzaf

    There are multiple options that would be better than what currently exists

    1. NGC and PCGS joint sponsored Registry;
    2. One will accept the other TPG coins on their registry at some mutual and reciprocal basis
    3. For several of the sets I am working on there simply are not enough graded examples of coins at certain grade levels to support just one TPG Registry.

    The current registry arrangement really is just not customer centric. The benefits to numismatics as intended simply do not meet expectations.

    But the whole point of the registry at is to drive submissions. They should not accept other people's plastic.

    Only allowing competition on a limited basis will discourage submissions.

    “I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

    My Full Walker Registry Set:

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Walkerfan said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @coinkat said:
    @jmlanzaf

    There are multiple options that would be better than what currently exists

    1. NGC and PCGS joint sponsored Registry;
    2. One will accept the other TPG coins on their registry at some mutual and reciprocal basis
    3. For several of the sets I am working on there simply are not enough graded examples of coins at certain grade levels to support just one TPG Registry.

    The current registry arrangement really is just not customer centric. The benefits to numismatics as intended simply do not meet expectations.

    But the whole point of the registry at is to drive submissions. They should not accept other people's plastic.

    Only allowing competition on a limited basis will discourage submissions.

    Hasn't so far. Look how many $5 coins are in $30 plastic.

    It would be a horrible idea to include other plastic. Not only does it allow you to submit to a competitor, it also creates the perception that there is equivalence between the services.

  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and do not include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    @jmlanzaf said:

    It would be a horrible idea to include other plastic. Not only does it allow you to submit to a competitor, it also creates the perception that there is equivalence between the services.

    >
    So which service is better?

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2023 10:55AM

    Please read my second point in my comment which will be repeated below:

      2.  One will accept the other TPG coins on their registry at some mutual and reciprocal basis
    

    Seems by agreeing to a mutual and reciprocal basis for acceptance of the other TPG coin on the host registry, the right for one to claim it is better than the other is expressly preserved... that is if this childish demeanor and mentality is more important than the general concept of sharing rare coins to just demonstrate what is possible.

    There are numerous world coin registry sets that simply do not have enough coins graded by one TPG over the other to even attempt completing the sets without utilizing the other. And it should not be about crossing coins given how certain coins are seldom seen by TPGs. The current plan for World Registry sets is either failing or just not meeting expectations depending on whether you see the glass empty or not. The options here do not involve rocket science. Cooperation would really provide a long term mutual benefit for everyone.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    It would be a horrible idea to include other plastic. Not only does it allow you to submit to a competitor, it also creates the perception that there is equivalence between the services.

    >
    So which service is better?

    According to each service, their own. NGC allowing PCGS plastic is almost an admission of second place status.

    I get it. Collectors are thinking about it in terms of their own convenience. But if you think of it as a business decision, it is clear why exclusivity is the right BUSINESS choice.

    I don't think collectors appreciate how classic coins are a losing proposition. The profit drivers for NGC and PCGS are moderns and low value registry coins. Registry sets were a brilliant way to drive submissions of coins nobody would have submitted in the early days of TPGS's. It was/is genius. Start allowing NGC and/or ANACS coins in your PCGS registry and you are slitting your own throat.

    In addition, you have the points issue. If you allow equal points, why wouldn't you put the cheaper NGC 70 in your set? If you penalize your competitor's plastic, you open up another kettle of fish by publicly denigrating a competitor.

    This is right on, in my opinion. Additionally, scoring each TPG the same assumes that the grading standards used by each TPG are consistent between firms for each type coin. We know that is not the case in some series.

    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @breakdown said:
    Your choices don’t account for MyCollect. Ian’s site has a registry that allows coins from PCGS, NGC and eventually CACG.

    We have had CACG in our sets for some time now and we also have NGCX. We will continue to add more services to be available for our sets.

    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and do not include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    I center my purchases on PCGS slabbed coins. I do have some NGC coins also but they are in the minority.
    New coin grading services will be a wait and see. Since I do not sell coins, I cannot see an advantage for me in purchasing them.

    Wayne

    Kennedys are my quest...

  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    only PCGS

  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I participate in PCGS’s right now. I have stuff listed in MyCollect but they are overdue in showing their registry stuff. Maybe I’ll do CACG’s if I feel like it. Not everything I have is beaned, though.

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 12:30PM
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    Pcgs App - For my PCGS material. Use it as an inventory manager. Plus have on excel spreadsheet.

    Other slabbed material - NGC, ANACS, ICG.
    Excel spreadsheet.

    Currency - both TPG graded and raw - excel spreadsheet.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 12:32PM
    I will be participating in CACG's as well as PCGS' and/or NGC's

    @TurtleCat said:
    I participate in PCGS’s right now. I have stuff listed in MyCollect but they are overdue in showing their registry stuff. Maybe I’ll do CACG’s if I feel like it. Not everything I have is beaned, though.

    CACG says they will have TWO separate Registries, each allowing coins graded by PCGS, NGC, and CACG. The looser of the two will allow coins without and with CAC stickers, the second is the tougher one, where every coin must have either a CAC sticker, or be graded by CACG.

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2023 12:46PM
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    I have gotten way passed the registry set game. I have an almost complete type set (half cent through classic commemoratives) on the NGC registry and have strived to make it educational with pictures and write-ups for every coin. The "top dog" thing is for people who want to chase their tails.

    The reason why my type sets are no longer complete is because I can't find the modern coins in certification holders that NGC has added to the list. I have those coins in Proof sets, but, of course, that does not count.

    As for CAC, I'm not concerned about it. I'm buying mostly British, Imperial Rome and political tokens these days. CAC actually did me a favor by discouraging me to collect U.S. coins. I have branched out to some much more intellectually rewarding collecting pursuits.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @Walkerfan said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @coinkat said:
    @jmlanzaf

    There are multiple options that would be better than what currently exists

    1. NGC and PCGS joint sponsored Registry;
    2. One will accept the other TPG coins on their registry at some mutual and reciprocal basis
    3. For several of the sets I am working on there simply are not enough graded examples of coins at certain grade levels to support just one TPG Registry.

    The current registry arrangement really is just not customer centric. The benefits to numismatics as intended simply do not meet expectations.

    But the whole point of the registry at is to drive submissions. They should not accept other people's plastic.

    Only allowing competition on a limited basis will discourage submissions.

    Hasn't so far. Look how many $5 coins are in $30 plastic.

    It would be a horrible idea to include other plastic. Not only does it allow you to submit to a competitor, it also creates the perception that there is equivalence between the services.

    If there isn't equivalence between the services then one or both of them must not be grading coins based on the same standard. Is that why they say buy the coin, not the slab?

    it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2024 10:41PM
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    Will just put the few CACG I have in my phone app. / for inventory mgt purpose.

    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • SametsSamets Posts: 107 ✭✭✭
    I will only participate in PCGS'

    I only do the PCGS registry and all but 1 coin is now in PCGS plastic.

  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A vote for 'other' or 'dunno'. Have PCGS registry sets. No NGC registry. Will look into CAC at some point.

  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I do not participate in the over-hyped registry races. I do list my graded coins (all purchases, no submissions) on NGC and PCGS. Those are mostly good places to manage such inventory.

  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I participate in both PCGS' and NGC's and include PCGS coins in the NGC set

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @DisneyFan said:

    @jmlanzaf said:

    It would be a horrible idea to include other plastic. Not only does it allow you to submit to a competitor, it also creates the perception that there is equivalence between the services.

    >
    So which service is better?

    According to each service, their own. NGC allowing PCGS plastic is almost an admission of second place status.

    I get it. Collectors are thinking about it in terms of their own convenience. But if you think of it as a business decision, it is clear why exclusivity is the right BUSINESS choice.

    I don't think collectors appreciate how classic coins are a losing proposition. The profit drivers for NGC and PCGS are moderns and low value registry coins. Registry sets were a brilliant way to drive submissions of coins nobody would have submitted in the early days of TPGS's. It was/is genius. Start allowing NGC and/or ANACS coins in your PCGS registry and you are slitting your own throat.

    In addition, you have the points issue. If you allow equal points, why wouldn't you put the cheaper NGC 70 in your set? If you penalize your competitor's plastic, you open up another kettle of fish by publicly denigrating a competitor.

    The NGC point system is biased toward modern coins. Dollar for dollar you are way ahead of the game if you buy very high grade modern coins and low grade fillers for the really tough classic coins, like the Chain Cent, 1796 Quarter and Gobrecht Dollar. There’s been a type collector who has been ahead of me from the beginning on the NGC Registry. He’s got MS-67 and higher for the common types, but his early coins are mostly in Fair or AG. My early coins are all VF to AU, except for one Fine-15 and one MS-64. My common type coins are mostly PR or MS-65.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan to only participate in CACG's

    Looks like I am the only one all in with CACG registry. Why would I want to participate in a registry that only accepts one brand of slabs? Not. Hence CACG for me and removing my registry sets from others.


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be participating in CACG's as well as PCGS' and/or NGC's

    @spacehayduke said:
    Looks like I am the only one all in with CACG registry. Why would I want to participate in a registry that only accepts one brand of slabs? Not. Hence CACG for me and removing my registry sets from others.

    The NGC Registry accepts coins from PCGS, and I believe from CACG as well. Separately though, like you, I look forward to partaking in BOTH of the upcoming CACG Registries, as coins with CAC stickers can indeed partake in both of those!

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be participating in CACG's as well as PCGS' and/or NGC's

    @erscolo said:
    I do not participate in the over-hyped registry races. I do list my graded coins (all purchases, no submissions) on NGC and PCGS. Those are mostly good places to manage such inventory.

    So which under-hyped Registry sets do you partake in? :D

    Steve

    A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

    My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan to only participate in CACG's

    @winesteven said:
    @spacehayduke said:
    Looks like I am the only one all in with CACG registry. Why would I want to participate in a registry that only accepts one brand of slabs? Not. Hence CACG for me and removing my registry sets from others.

    The NGC Registry accepts coins from PCGS, and I believe from CACG as well. Separately though, like you, I look forward to partaking in BOTH of the upcoming CACG Registries, as coins with CAC stickers can indeed partake in both of those!

    Steve

    Since I have never participated in the NGC registries and no plans to do so, my comments were directed at specifying which registry I will partake in, in the future and why. I have gorgeous coins in fatties that I am not cracking out, I won't continue to participate in a registry that does not allow them when another will accept them and the new slabs by CACG.

    Best, SH


    Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file