Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok who bid on the Heritage bust half auctions tonight?

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 25, 2023 8:37PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody with any big scores???

I hit several I really wanted but missed out on several that had me like “What was I thinking?!?”

It was probably the most fun I’ve had in an online auction. I was cutting up and reacting to the sales back and forth with another forum member via text.

Good times!

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, too bad we weren't recording all that!! :D

Most fun I've ever had on an on-line auction too.

Probably the most expensive as well!! B)

newp's for daaayyyyssssss :p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

I did some proxy bids but wasn't very aggressive. Went to the endodontist and will owe him $$$

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck out last night at the auction. Lost on the 4 I was after. Strange day for such a big auction.

Two of the coins ended before I could get home from work. I was third in line so probably would not have won anyway. The two others went higher than I was willing to go for them (53/55's for R1's).

Maybe I will have success in the after auction period where guys want to sell off extras :smiley:

• Options

I snagged one I really wanted! I was tempted on many others, but restrained myself 😂

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was trying to buy a few of the 19th century U.S. Mint medals. I got blown out of water; not even close. I should have known the lay of the land when a so-so, PR-66 graded 1866 With Rays Shield Nickel went for more than any reported number on “Coin Facts.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

The three US Assay medals I chased went very high. Not sure who said the market is slow on the other thread. It all depends on the material and who shows up!

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    Struck out last night at the auction. Lost on the 4 I was after. Strange day for such a big auction.

Two of the coins ended before I could get home from work. I was third in line so probably would not have won anyway. The two others went higher than I was willing to go for them (53/55's for R1's).

Maybe I will have success in the after auction period where guys want to sell off extras :smiley:

It was very strange indeed. 3pm on the west coast, rush hour traffic here to get home and get on the computer. There were 3 or 4 people bidding until the 1820s came up. I got a few coins I never thought I’d be able to because I was basically alone on them.

• Options

Several (maybe many) of these coins were just up for auction recently so the consigner took a sizable hit. Glad they found good homes and will be cared for.

• Options
    VictaVicta Posts: 30 ✭✭

No big scores here, but I did manage to land a few of the less popular Busties. I was under bidder on several of the Red Book varieties, including one that I bid way over what I thought it would go for. I guess the "smart money" knows when to bid 'em up. Nice having such a broad range of material to choose from.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope one of you guys scored that unattributed Ugly 3 in the PCGS AU-50 CAC for a steal. That was the only coin I saw and I chose not to bid:(

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to land one and I had to pay up for it. The price kind of surprised me as it had no colorful toning and no CAC sticker on it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@divecchia said:
    I don't mind sharing my pickup.

Edited to add the Trueview.

Donato

WOW what a blazer!!!

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@divecchia said:

Donato

JUST WOW. Grade and how much did it cost?

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't live bidding, but had left a maximum bid on the 1803 BB-254 PCGS XF45 Bust dollar, with a planchet defect notable on the reverse. It sold an increment above my submitted max bid.

• Options

I’ve been looking for a decent 1817 108 for a while….was able to get this one

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

darn, no confounding GTG's this week ehh?

• Options

Don't be too sure of that. Had a little success today :wink::smiley:

@marcmoish said:

@pcgscacgold said:

darn, no confounding GTG's this week ehh?

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to nab a few upgrades. There were no marriages there I didn’t have. As I am looking for XF coins to go with 5he rest of their sisters I left the AU’s for the rest of you.

Did anyone here nab the 27 O137 or the nicer 31 O120?

Who paid up for the 27 O148?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

@BustDMs said:
    I was able to nab a few upgrades. There were no marriages there I didn’t have. As I am looking for XF coins to go with 5he rest of their sisters I left the AU’s for the rest of you.

Did anyone here nab the 27 O137 or the nicer 31 O120?

That is a side of the pool I don’t swim in yet.

I should’ve smashed bid on the 1823 O-109 in AU50. $2,400???? Sheeeeeeeeesh

• Options

I will say I felt a little like a Kindergartner in a Calculus Based Physics course last night. I will be older, wiser and better prepared the next time.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grabbed a number of them filling in holes in my Overton set. I also recently sent in 20 coins to get the attribute applied to the label. Have to pay for reholder and attribute…so I always look for coins that already have the attribute on the label.

The coins I did get a number of them I had to send an email via PCGS to the previous owner to remove them from their inventory.

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

My winnings are shipping today FedEx 2Day.....that's what I call service.

• Options

@Goldbully said:

Mine will be at my home in Ohio tomorrow! My wife has a Legacy account at HA and I was grandfathered in!

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoying this thread and I don’t collect bust halves. This forum clearly has a deep bench of serious CBH collectors.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    I will say I felt a little like a Kindergartner in a Calculus Based Physics course last night. I will be older, wiser and better prepared the next time.

>
    >
    I feel the same way on your GTGs!😂

• Options

@divecchia said:

Donato

Wow! Care to share the grade on that baby?

• Options

@Goldbully said:

How do you get that 👀

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@Goldbully said:

How do you get that 👀

1. History of prompt payment

2. Using eCheck for payment probably helps.

Heritage has excellent customer service reps who will listen to the customer and do their best to work with you.

Cue @MFeld ;)

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 5:41PM

Ok…here’s one…R5+ 1827, O-116a, XF40

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 5:54PM

@Goldbully said:

@Pnies20 said:

@Goldbully said:

How do you get that 👀

Heritage has excellent customer service reps who will listen to the customer and do their best to work with you.

Cue @MFeld ;)

I’ve been buying and paying immediately with echeck for almost 25 years I think. I should call customer service.

• Options

@Herb_T said:
    Ok…here’s one…R5+ 1827, O-116a, XF40

You bum!!!

• Options
    edited September 26, 2023 6:02PM

@Pnies20 said:

@Goldbully said:

@Pnies20 said:

@Goldbully said:

How do you get that 👀

Cue @MFeld ;)

I’ve been buying and paying immediately with echeck for almost 25 years I think. I should call customer service.

>
    >
    Yeah, I think that kinda service starts after 30 years, hang in there!👍😉

• Options

@HillbillyCollector said:

@Pnies20 said:

@Goldbully said:

@Pnies20 said:

@Goldbully said:

How do you get that 👀

Cue @MFeld ;)

>
    >
    Yeah, I think that kinda service starts after 30 years, hang in there!👍😉

😭

That would be about right lol

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Glad to see quite a few people were able to add to their collection! The results seemed to be all over the place. Some went for strong money and others went for less than the last time they were auctioned.

While I didn't win any in the auction, I was able to buy a copy of Bust Half Fever from a member here so that is my big win!

• Options

@HillbillyCollector said:

@divecchia said:

Donato

Not my coin, but it is an MS-62. My buddy was the underbidder so I recognized this coin.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mtn_scout said:
    Glad to see quite a few people were able to add to their collection! The results seemed to be all over the place. Some went for strong money and others went for less than the last time they were auctioned.

While I didn't win any in the auction, I was able to buy a copy of Bust Half Fever from a member here so that is my big win!

Great book! Definitely a worthwhile read and reference.

The results were, indeed, "all over the place". From what I can tell, much of this collection was assembled over a very short term, with somewhat of an indiscriminate approach to quality, look and feel.

The collection was also assembled more with money than with care, as can be seen from the many records these coins hold from their last sale before this one.

This is all my own personal opinion, of course. There were some real gem's in almost all grades, and some very much the opposite examples as well.

I won too many coins (I'll be posting past Thanksgiving probably!), but the chance to add coins like the 27-116 (P58cac), the 09-102 XXX Edge (P55cac) and the 29-106 (P58 considered PL by some) I showed above ... Overton #'s added for those of you who hadn't quite followed all the way along ... at reasonable or even discounted prices, was an opportunity I shall not forget.

I am grateful I have friends and mentors who have helped me learn enough to know what I was looking at, so that my research and participation was greatly rewarded.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my coin, but it is an MS-62. My buddy was the underbidder so I recognized this coin.

That is correct, it is an MS62.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    somewhat of an indiscriminate approach to quality, look and feel.

Guilty your honor!

• Options

@Bikergeek said:
    I am not a half dollar guy, but I'll tell a story on them: I was privileged to be a guest at a function of the Bust Half Nut Club where food was catered. The caterer was being recognized by club members for her contribution, and she made a little speech where she thanked all the folks in the "Bust a Nut Club." This was met with a roar of laughter in the room. I didn't see her for the rest of the evening. :-) @jacrispies @Pnies20 @pursuitofliberty

That moment caught me off guard. The room was booming with laughter and that was the moment I realized I was in a room of little boys.😆

BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@Bikergeek said:
    I am not a half dollar guy, but I'll tell a story on them: I was privileged to be a guest at a function of the Bust Half Nut Club where food was catered. The caterer was being recognized by club members for her contribution, and she made a little speech where she thanked all the folks in the "Bust a Nut Club." This was met with a roar of laughter in the room. I didn't see her for the rest of the evening. :-) @jacrispies @Pnies20 @pursuitofliberty

That was pretty hilarious.

Every time I type bust half nut club it auto corrects to “but club”. If I don’t catch it, it can be pretty funny/embarrassing.

I have gotten one of those messages 😄.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:

@BustDMs said:

I bought that on ebay years ago. Sold it to the consignor at FUN in January. Looks like it sold, with the juice, for about the same price.

I only bid on some VF's for an album. Won just one, the 1822 O.103a VF30 CAC.
    Lance.

With your eye for quality coins I bet that’s going to be a really cool looking album of CBH’s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file