Home Sports Talk

Will Belichick get fired this season?

Comments

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

@pdoidoi said:

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:
    Let me see, Bill Belichick has now has a losing record how many years in a row now. ONE. How many coaches have won more games in the NFL, ZERO.

just a losing record whenever tom isnt here

And your favorite coach has how many wins or championships.

Afraid to tell us your favorite coach because we all might start bashing like you are doing.

Not a chance

I come on this site to enjoy ,not to hear all this bashing from haters. This site would be much better if people just gave their opinions instead bashing over and over. If I dislike a team or player that much thenI just avoid that topic.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in 2023

i dont have a favorite coach football is all about the players
    coaches are irrelevant in 2023
    there isnt a coach in the league worth 1 win per year over a stat monkey throwing darts now

bill was that guy that added a win but he looks like he is lost out there on the sideline now he subtracts 2 wins a season now he should have been sent packing before brady

he will never break that record

Not a chance

@bronco2078 said:
    i dont have a favorite coach football is all about the players
    coaches are irrelevant in 2023
    there isnt a coach in the league worth 1 win per year over a stat monkey throwing darts now

bill was that guy that added a win but he looks like he is lost out there on the sideline now he subtracts 2 wins a season now he should have been sent packing before brady

he will never break that record

What are your favorite teams ,so that all the bashers can bash you and turn the forum into crap like you and 4for4 are doing.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

I'm gonna take a wild guess at this. So when Belichick is unanimously voted into the Hall of Fame, and the ceremony is being held in Canton, that some of you here may not be attending?

Yes, in 2023

i watch the patriots but please bash away , it will save me some work

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

pdoidoi, bronco is just keeping it real in his own special way, and i personally couldn't agree more with what he's saying. if all we do is incessantly praise peeps without providing different perspectives, what an inviting place this will be.

i said this before in another thread: 1 playoff victory in 9 seasons without Brady. tell me, is that good? is it? bro Chicago Bears head coaches can pull that off at a fraction of the cost.

yes, BB was great when Tom Brady was his signal caller. without him, there is some serious grasping at straws going on to mitigate the stench. below .500 as an HC without Brady my friend. spin that however you want, but eotd it is what it is. no one gives two shits about improvements or moral victories. win or don't, period. when the GOAT left, he won again. when the GOAT left, Belichick reverted back to his Cleveland Browns days. make all the pathetic excuses you want, but thems the facts and they are indisputable.

how dare anyone take a macro look and break up the Bill Belichick reach-around party 🥳

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

Not a chance

@galaxy27 said:
    pdoidoi, bronco is just keeping it real in his own special way, and i personally couldn't agree more with what he's saying. if all we do is incessantly praise peeps without providing different perspectives, what an inviting place this will be.

i said this before in another thread: 1 playoff victory in 9 seasons without Brady. tell me, is that good? is it? bro Chicago Bears head coaches can pull that off at a fraction of the cost.

yes, BB was great when Tom Brady was his signal caller. without him, there is some serious grasping at straws going on to mitigate the stench. below .500 as an HC without Brady my friend. spin that however you want, but eotd it is what it is. no one gives two shits about improvements or moral victories. win or don't, period. when the GOAT left, he won again. when the GOAT left, Belichick reverted back to his Cleveland Browns days. make all the pathetic excuses you want, but thems the facts and they are indisputable.

how dare anyone take a macro look and break up the Bill Belichick reach-around party 🥳

I get it. It is just to read the bashing over and over is just tiresome and feels like hate and it is just a very bad look for the site. Look 4for4 started this and all he has done is bash. Feel like I'm on a site with some preschoolers.

edited October 4, 2023 12:42PM
    Not a chance

After Belichick finally retires, and it's time for his Hall of Fame induction voting, I'd be more than happy to make an avatar bet with all the Belichick bashers on here.

I say that Belichick will be voted into the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility. If he isn't, then i lose.

Oh it would give me such joy and pleasure to see the forum lit up with Eagles logos, or I might instead decide on a smiling pic of Bill...i'll have to think about it. 😎

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only things stopping Andy Reid from breaking the record for wins is cheeseburgers and fries.🍔🍟

He needs more of these 🍎🍊🍇🫐🥕🍅🫑🥬🥦🍒🍋

Not a chance

@Darin said:
    The only things stopping Andy Reid from breaking the record for wins is cheeseburgers and fries.🍔🍟

Looks like my diet.

Sometimes I feel so healthy and vigorous, I can't stand it. 😉

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

The more I think of it, he really is hurting his legacy by hanging around for the record. Because his legacy should be all about team, not self.

But this is not uncommon. Look at Ripken Jr. Or, I forget his name, the guy we recently had a thread on from the NHL with the ironman record. His record was extended by playing just right at the beginning of a game, then he left.

My point, a lot of records are tainted. Longevity records.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

@4for4 said:
    RG 3’s words. Not mine.

This is legit criticism. Bill needs to do a better job of putting guys around Mac (or Zappe) that will help them succeed and maximize their strengths.

Not a chance

Whenever I see stats the we, or any team, is not using play action enough, i always wonder why not, because it works so well. You honestly don't even need to be a good running team, or have the run game going well in a particular game , for it to work.

Defenses bite on play action. End. Of. Story.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

Bill Belichick isn't going anywhere, he's a Swifty, and that alone makes him invincible, she runs the NFL.

Yes, in 2023

bill has lost the ability to do anything with the roster. Its trash
    jc jackson? oh that guy we didnt want anymore lets get him back

when Chandler jones is discharged from the loony bin Bill will sign him
    we will have 7 jones on the team

Not a chance

Him saying that really doesn't surprise me. But me not being surprised does surprise me a little.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

-> @bronco2078 said:

bill has lost the ability to do anything with the roster. Its trash
    jc jackson? oh that guy we didnt want anymore lets get him back

when Chandler jones is discharged from the loony bin Bill will sign him
    we will have 7 jones on the team

That's not true at all, he left because Bill didn't think he was worth the 5yr/82M contract w/40M guaranteed that the Chargers originally gave him. Bill has never paid a defensive back that much money and Jackson wasn't going to be the first.
    NE brought him back but LA is paying most of the salary still owed to him.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2023 3:22PM
    Perhaps next year if the team gets worse

@pdoidoi said:
    I come on this site to enjoy ,not to hear all this bashing from haters. This site would be much better if people just gave their opinions instead bashing over and over. If I dislike a team or player that much thenI just avoid that topic.

Bashing a coach is absolutely fine, we all do it from time to time

It's vastly different than crapping on a poster for liking his specific team

I'm a HUGE Pats fan as everyone knows and I been critical of Hoodie for years, to the point that some if my fellow Patriot fan brethren have gotten into.it with me.

It's all.good bud 🍻

Not a chance

Hey I'll be the first to admit that Philly fans aren't a piece of cake. They booed Mike Schmidt mercilessly at times. Well I never booed Mike, who as we all completely agree, is the GOAT third baseman.

They also booed Ron Jaworski who in my opinion was one of the toughest QB's of all time. Ron would some games get annihilated by defensive pass rush killers, but he always got up as though nothing happened. i never booed Jaworski either.

It was before my time, but I'm told that they also booed Del Ennis, who was one of the top HR hitters in Phillies history.

I never understood why those players were booed. What, because they didn't hit a home run or score a touchdown every time? The boos never made sense to me.

All that being said, what makes even less sense to me are Patriots fans. For example there is one CU member on here, probably the smartest guy on the forum with highly intelligent posts, who derogatorily refers to Bill Belichick as Hoodie. Which is fine with me, I'm not a Patriots fan and never will be. And I'm fine with any kind of smack talk or derogatory comments towards players or coaches, as I do it myself. In my view that's all part of the fun of being a sports fan.

But geez, for crying out loud, we're talking about a coach who brought (pasted) "the Patriots to 17 AFC East division titles, 13 appearances in the AFC Championship Game, and nine Super Bowl appearances, with a record six wins."

My goodness, if a Philly coach did that, Philly fans would not only elect him mayor, they might anoint him emperor. There would be a statue of him on every street corner. They could even rename Philadelphia to Billadelphia for all I know. They certainly would not boo him!

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:
    It is easy to pile on when the team is 1-3, but BB is not getting fired.

It's more than that though.

We haven't seen much if any improvement with Mac Jones and this is his 3rd season, the offense is an absolute disaster and literally this falls on Bill with his ridiculously stupid personal moves, let's face it he thinks he can coach anyone to win games for him and that is just not the case

I agree that BB personal moves on offense are stupid. He has made some good moves on the defensive side. The reason Mac hasnt improved, in my opinion, is because he is just not that good.

Hes average to good, not great. The situation hes been in and the personal around him has made him bad

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited October 4, 2023 6:32PM

@stevek said:
    Hey I'll be the first to admit that Philly fans aren't a piece of cake. They booed Mike Schmidt mercilessly at times. Well I never booed Mike, who as we all completely agree, is the GOAT third baseman.

They also booed Ron Jaworski who in my opinion was one of the toughest QB's of all time. Ron would some games get annihilated by defensive pass rush killers, but he always got up as though nothing happened. i never booed Jaworski either.

It was before my time, but I'm told that they also booed Del Ennis, who was one of the top HR hitters in Phillies history.

I never understood why those players were booed. What, because they didn't hit a home run or score a touchdown every time? The boos never made sense to me.

All that being said, what makes even less sense to me are Patriots fans. For example there is one CU member on here, probably the smartest guy on the forum with highly intelligent posts, who derogatorily refers to Bill Belichick as Hoodie. Which is fine with me, I'm not a Patriots fan and never will be. And I'm fine with any kind of smack talk or derogatory comments towards players or coaches, as I do it myself. In my view that's all part of the fun of being a sports fan.

But geez, for crying out loud, we're talking about a coach who brought (pasted) "the Patriots to 17 AFC East division titles, 13 appearances in the AFC Championship Game, and nine Super Bowl appearances, with a record six wins."

My goodness, if a Philly coach did that, Philly fans would not only elect him mayor, they might anoint him emperor. There would be a statue of him on every street corner. They could even rename Philadelphia to Billadelphia for all I know. They certainly would not boo him!

Lol Steve I assume you are referring to me and I do appreciate the kind words even though I don't believe I'm deserving lol

Anyways to your point about me referring to Belichick as "Hoodie" that is honestly not a derogatory name for him, us Pats fans absolutely do not say that in a bad way towards him, it's a moniker he gets because he always has sweatshirts on as you know, that's all that is and to be honest I usually spell his name wrong so Hoodie is easier lol

I love Bill Belichick for everything that he has done for the Pats but I also cannot stand a lot of things he has done as well.

I've spelled it out numerous times in fact one of the most glaring things that to.this day still enrages me happened against your Eagles in the Super Bowl when he sat Butler and his stand in was getting torched all night and we lost the Super Bowl over it.

There is more but really st the end of the day I don't dislike Belichick as much as you probably think, it's just time to move on, the game has passed him by

Not a chance

I think that Mac Jones has lost what was once one of his strong suits...his mental makeup.

His arm was never award winning. He does look like he fails to put enough zip on it sometimes.

Even if the addition of BOB should have been a positive, personnel issues are an issue...and honestly I don't get the feeling that it's "Mac's team"...and that's a problem.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2023 7:14PM
    Not a chance

@stevek Belichick has had the Hoodie nickname for a very longtime now in NE, Not to long after he came to NE he started to cutoff the sleeves from his hoodie sweatshirts then between that and wearing Hoodies at times during games the local media ended up giving him that nickname.

Not a chance

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

Lol Steve I assume you are referring to me and I do appreciate the kind words even though I don't believe I'm deserving lol

Anyways to your point about me referring to Belichick as "Hoodie" that is honestly not a derogatory name for him, us Pats fans absolutely do not say that in a bad way towards him, it's a moniker he gets because he always has sweatshirts on as you know, that's all that is and to be honest I usually spell his name wrong so Hoodie is easier lol

I love Bill Belichick for everything that he has done for the Pats but I also cannot stand a lot of things he has done as well.

I've spelled it out numerous times in fact one of the most glaring things that to.this day still enrages me happened against your Eagles in the Super Bowl when he sat Butler and his stand in was getting torched all night and we lost the Super Bowl over it.

There is more but really st the end of the day I don't dislike Belichick as much as you probably think, it's just time to move on, the game has passed him by

I didn't realize that Hoodie was a moniker that Belichick gets for obvious reasons you stated, with no vitriol intended. The word "hoodie" can represent a derogatory term in other circumstances, which we won't discuss, so I took it in that manner. Thanks for clearing that up.

You may be right about the Butler incident affecting that Super Bowl. This I do know, if I'm remembering right, the Eagles were around a 7 point dog in that Super Bowl leading up to it. Not long before the game began, maybe a day before, it was announced that a brutal flu had infected many of the Eagles players. So it wouldn't surprise me if that line, especially the gambling whales, pushed that line up to double digits with some monster bets on the Patriots.

I do fully agree that the game has passed Belichick by. I think the basic problem is he may not even realize it. He and Kraft likely think that in the next draft or whatever, they will be back in contention again for another Super Bowl. While that of course is theoretically possible, based on factors mentioned, it is highly unlikely.

I especially noticed it in that opening day Eagles game. One glaring mistake he got away with it. But the Belichick from ten years ago I'm sure would have never made that particular call.

In the highly competitive game of putting together an NFL team and coaching it up to championship level, sometimes can be a fine line between success and failure. You mentioned the thing with Butler, and even during a regular season game, just one suspect incorrect call in a game, can mean the difference between winning and losing. Add up those mistakes over the course of a season, and that team is sitting home watching the playoffs on TV.

Also the skills and instincts needed to draft the right players, make the best trade deals, etc, gets diminished as well with old age.

I'm not saying that Belichick will definitively never again get the Patriots to the playoffs. However it does appear unlikely at this point. As he certainly isn't getting any younger, and those various mistakes will almost surely increase as time goes on.

How ugly will it get? Possibly very ugly. I think this next game against the Saints may be a strong indicator of that one way or the other. The younger Bill Belichick, after that disaster last Sunday, I have no doubt would step up his coaching, and everybody else on the team, for a nice win this Sunday. A win on Sunday and they may still be in the hunt. A loss would be absolutely awful, even a close loss.

Yes, in 2023

kraft originally got bill because he thought he was the "hoodsie"

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

@galaxy27 said:

I get it. It is just to read the bashing over and over is just tiresome and feels like hate and it is just a very bad look for the site. Look 4for4 started this and all he has done is bash. Feel like I'm on a site with some preschoolers.

My sincere apologies. Sincerely.
    Please just ignore those you feel are haters. Place us on ignore. I use the feature myself.

I’ve called Belichick a wonderful steward of NEs success, even though I feel he’s had little to do with it.

Many of the BB lovers bash me for my opinion.

We’re not preschoolers. We’re men. In America we can give dissenting opinions.

To be honest, it’s the preschoolers who can’t handle continuous dissenting opinions because they don’t make them feel good.

Stop looking for only feel good moments in life. That’s simply not reality. Not in this zoo anyway 😂

Forum members on ignore
    Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
    daltex

@Darin said:

Most underrated coach ever !!!
    And I’m no fan of his either, but respect the heck out of him.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Here’s another “hater”.
    Or just someone who’s opinion is not complimentary. Unless you’re Tom that is.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@pdoidoi said:

@galaxy27 said:

My sincere apologies. Sincerely.
    Please just ignore those you feel are haters. Place us on ignore. I use the feature myself.

I’ve called Belichick a wonderful steward of NEs success, even though I feel he’s had little to do with it.

Many of the BB lovers bash me for my opinion.

We’re not preschoolers. We’re men. In America we can give dissenting opinions.

To be honest, it’s the preschoolers who can’t handle continuous dissenting opinions because they don’t make them feel good.

Stop looking for only feel good moments in life. That’s simply not reality. Not in this zoo anyway 😂

Thank you ,and I accept your apology.
    I don't wish to delete anyone because maybe next time I might feel on just one topic someone is bashing and maybe being impolite but then on the next topic they are complete different and being polite and in complete agreeance.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

I think differing opinions are what keeps this place interesting.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Yes, in 2023

@craig44 said:
    I think differing opinions are what keeps this place interesting.

YOU ARE WRONG ! :#

Bill Belichick should be on the hot seat

Not a chance

That would be weird since Belichick is the GOAT, but may also now have one of the worst teams in NFL history.

I realize it's still too early to proclaim this season's Patriots team as being one of the worst, but it would be a strange combination if that was to occur.

@erikthredd said:
    @stevek Belichick has had the Hoodie nickname for a very longtime now in NE, Not to long after he came to NE he started to cutoff the sleeves from his hoodie sweatshirts then between that and wearing Hoodies at times during games the local media ended up giving him that nickname.

Fine, now can you explain why Bill Jones calls him hootie?

Not a chance

@Darin said:

@erikthredd said:

Fine, now can you explain why Bill Jones calls him hootie?

it is because in the offseason, BB owns a big boat and spends lots of time deep sea fishing. Mostly for Blowfish.

Nicely done Craig. 👍

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    That would be weird since Belichick is the GOAT, but may also now have one of the worst teams in NFL history.

I realize it's still too early to proclaim this season's Patriots team as being one of the worst, but it would be a strange combination if that was to occur.

Unless theyre going to rip off 9 or 10 wins, the best thing they could do at this point is just lose every game and get better draft picks. Its basically a third of the way into the season now and the worst thing would to just win some games and do nothing. I hate when teams tank, but hes been there long enough now with control where this is his roster and what he thought would work

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will retire at the end of this year to make it more dignified

A few more games like the last two weeks, and they will be holding a “thanks for memories, Bill,” celebration before Christmas. Many more embarrassing games like today, Bill will take himself out.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    Yes, in 2023

I cast my vote and I’m with bronco.
    That team looks really bad and NE fans deserve better and probably expect better.

• ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    Yes, in 2023

@BillJones said:
    A few more games like the last two weeks, and they will be holding a “thanks for memories, Bill,” celebration before Christmas. Many more embarrassing games like today, Bill will take himself out.

Yes. It’s a what have you done for me lately job.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will retire at the end of this year to make it more dignified

@Applejacks said:

@BillJones said:

That would be a good argument if we were not into three years after the Brady era. Remember Connie Mack and Tom Landry. They stayed around for too long.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

Probably not but what he’s done as GM and his draft choices would have gotten him fired a long time ago.
    Sticking with Mac Jones after last year was another mistake.
    Letting Brady walk thinking BB mastery of the game is an ego trip that can’t be excused.
    Either him or Kraft not wanting to pay NFL money for a top tier QB is another.
    His choice of talent at wide receiver is another GM firing offense.
    Wasting 2 draft choices on a kicker and punter ( both at the bottom of the league) to save a few million and missing out on a chance at late round draft hits is inexcusable. Patriots fan have been patient but it’s “What have you done for me lately time. “

Shall I tell you how I really feel.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    Probably not but what he’s done as GM and his draft choices would have gotten him fired a long time ago.
    Sticking with Mac Jones after last year was another mistake.
    Letting Brady walk thinking BB mastery of the game is an ego trip that can’t be excused.
    Either him or Kraft not wanting to pay NFL money for a top tier QB is another.
    His choice of talent at wide receiver is another GM firing offense.
    Wasting 2 draft choices on a kicker and punter ( both at the bottom of the league) to save a few million and missing out on a chance at late round draft hits is inexcusable. Patriots fan have been patient but it’s “What have you done for me lately time. “

Shall I tell you how I really feel.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@BillJones said:

@Applejacks said:

@BillJones said:

That would be a good argument if we were not into three years after the Brady era. Remember Connie Mack and Tom Landry. They stayed around for too long.

Very much enjoy reading your posts.
    We unfortunately have childish posters on this forum who say people suck, or laugh at people who give a differing opinion.
    You are a quality poster with your thoughts and comments.

Yes, NE needs a Jimmy Johnson asap

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

Unless theyre going to rip off 9 or 10 wins, the best thing they could do at this point is just lose every game and get better draft picks. Its basically a third of the way into the season now and the worst thing would to just win some games and do nothing. I hate when teams tank, but hes been there long enough now with control where this is his roster and what he thought would work

Better draft picks ?
    Did you see last year’s draft?

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Not a chance

I am in the minority here, I realize this. I think that BB has earned the right to leave on his own terms. whenever that may be. let us not forget that it was under his leadership NE won 6 SB's in 19 seasons.

6 in 19 years.

that is one every 3 seasons.

I guess I am fat and happy. Let BB leave whenever he wants.

Yes, in 2023

wrong , tom brady did that. and we would have won 12 if sidecar bill had been fired in 2007

Not a chance

@craig44 said:
    I am in the minority here, I realize this. I think that BB has earned the right to leave on his own terms. whenever that may be. let us not forget that it was under his leadership NE won 6 SB's in 19 seasons.

6 in 19 years.

that is one every 3 seasons.

I guess I am fat and happy. Let BB leave whenever he wants.

I agree, especially because Kraft the owner is a billionaire. The Patriots no matter what is their record, are still going to attract fans to the stadium and media viewers to their games. There really is no sense of urgency to win, because the Patriots will always be profitable.

Just thought of this off the cuff. Maybe it's like a long marriage whereby the wife has become a problem of sorts, but you stay with her out of loyalty and remembrances of the good times ya had with her in the past.

Now if Kraft passes or gives up control of the team, it's likely if not definite that Belichick will relive the Tom Landry ending story.

Not a chance

very true about when robert kraft is no longer in control. all bets are off, when it comes to BB's future then.