Will Belichick get fired this season?

4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

🤔

Forum members on ignore
Erba - coolstanley-dallasactuary-SDsportsfan
daltex

Will Belichick get fired this season?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

nope, not going to happen. he will hang on until he gets the wins record. you can bank on it.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

No way he gets fired, I think they'll let him hang on as long as he wants, no way they fire him after 6 Super Bowls.

• 4for44for4 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps next year if the team gets worse

@doubledragon said:
    No way he gets fired, I think they'll let him hang on as long as he wants, no way they fire him after 6 Super Bowls.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he will retire if the team gets worse, definitely not fired

For clarity on my vote

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

Yeah but Landry didn't win 6, no way they fire Belichick after 6 Super Bowls.

@doubledragon said:

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

Yeah but Landry didn't win 6, no way they fire Belichick after 6 Super Bowls.

100% correct.
    However I tend to believe Landry was even more revered in Dallas then Belichick in NE. Just a guess.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

edited September 19, 2023 6:46AM
    Not a chance

there is a standard deviation or two of greatness between Landry and BB. If anything, I believe he could get a private/behind-the-scenes nudge towards retirement from management, but not fired.

@craig44 said:
    there is a standard deviation or two of greatness between Landry and BB. If anything, I believe he could get a private/behind-the-scenes nudge towards retirement from management, but not fired.

Or be a man and just walk away, in my honest opinion he is doing more harm than good at this point with his personnel decisions

Not a chance

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Or be a man and just walk away, in my honest opinion he is doing more harm than good at this point with his personnel decisions

I have been wanting BB the GM to step down for a very very long time. our drafts have not been good overall for a while now and some of the players he has brought in just leave me scratching my head. Zeke, Sanu a few years ago. I dont get it.

As a coach, I dont think BB has completely lost it. his teams are still prepared to play. He can still take a teams biggest weapon away (look at how he controlled Tyreke sunday) and he can still come up with some inovative plays ( the blocked field goal)

what he cant do is go out on the field and execute his game plans. only the players can do that, and we dont have the players that are necessary. That is because the GM has done a poor job.

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I have been wanting BB the GM to step down for a very very long time. our drafts have not been good overall for a while now and some of the players he has brought in just leave me scratching my head. Zeke, Sanu a few years ago. I dont get it.

As a coach, I dont think BB has completely lost it. his teams are still prepared to play. He can still take a teams biggest weapon away (look at how he controlled Tyreke sunday) and he can still come up with some inovative plays ( the blocked field goal)

what he cant do is go out on the field and execute his game plans. only the players can do that, and we dont have the players that are necessary. That is because the GM has done a poor job.

This is why Chuck Knoll at 4-0, the best undefeated Super Bowl coach ever, and the best draft picker ever, will always have every other head coach beat.

Belichick 6-2 and average drafting.
    Knoll 4-0 and well above average drafting.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

🏾 Ridethelightning

as long as Allen, Tua and (perhaps) Rodgers are around, his days of winning the division (let alone championships) are over. so what's the endgame? it's gotta be the record, then he walks off into the sunset.

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    🏾 Ridethelightning

as long as Allen, Tua and (perhaps) Rodgers are around, his days of winning the division (let alone championships) are over. so what's the endgame? it's gotta be the record, then he walks off into the sunset.

If he stays below 6 or 7 wins this year and next year I feel he’s done.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

Head coaches with past winning records for a team, even some Super Bowl wins or appearances, usually get fired for losing control of the team.

With the Cowboys and Landry situation, Jerry Jones likely would have fired Landry anyway because he wanted his then buddy Jimmy Johnson as the head coach. However the fact is that Landry had lost control of the team, which made the firing decision very easy.

Different circumstance, but same reason, Andy Reid got fired from the Eagles for losing control of the team.

I recall when Andy Reid was at his peak for the Eagles, and a reporter asked the owner Jeff Lurie if Andy Reid would be his head coach for life? I think the question caught Lurie off guard just a little bit, but Lurie responded with basically a definitive yes. Well so much for that promise, when Andy lost control of the team.

I would imagine that the same may be true of most head coaches, when as mentioned they get fired. Basically discord in the locker room amongst the players because of losing that seems to be getting worse. And that discord manifests itself on the playing field in a number of ways in lack of focus and/or effort.

Yes Stevek, all great coaches can have short leashes.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will retire at the end of this year to make it more dignified

By the looks of this team, it’s going to go 0-6 in the division. If they don’t do much better outside of the division, Belichick will not want to embarrass himself.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Not a chance

@BillJones said:
    By the looks of this team, it’s going to go 0-6 in the division. If they don’t do much better outside of the division, Belichick will not want to embarrass himself.

Perhaps any other coach and I'd agree with ya.

But Belichick is obsessed with the game, and I mean that in a good way. Belichick has the attitude that the next draft or the next free agent signing, may get him back to a winning team, IE prosperity is just around the corner.

Now of course a new owner may have different ideas. But as long as Kraft owns the team, and Belichick keeps control of the team which in my view he definitely still does, I think that Belichick will continue on as long as he still has the motivation.

Besides, didn't Belichick just break-up with his long time girlfriend? I'd be sure he wishes to remain the coach and stay motivated if nothing else, just to attract and impress a new girlfriend. 👫

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

Nah. He’ll open a restaurant and be head chef.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

This is why Chuck Knoll at 4-0, the best undefeated Super Bowl coach ever, and the best draft picker ever, will always have every other head coach beat.

While I will concede that Noll was better at scouting talent, by any measure I can think of, a 6-2 Super Bowl record is worlds better than 4-0. Worlds better.

Noll missed the playoff 11 times. 4 times he was one and done. 15 times his teams were a non-factor out of 23 years as head coach. I would definitely not place him above BB. not close really.

think of it this way: BB was in the SB the same amount of times Chuck Noll made it out of the first round of the playoffs.

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

While I will concede that Noll was better at scouting talent, by any measure I can think of, a 6-2 Super Bowl record is worlds better than 4-0. Worlds better.

Noll missed the playoff 11 times. 4 times he was one and done. 15 times his teams were a non-factor out of 23 years as head coach. I would definitely not place him above BB. not close really.

think of it this way: BB was in the SB the same amount of times Chuck Noll made it out of the first round of the playoffs.

Chuck Noll had three teams with better records ahead of him in the 1970’s. Dallas, Miami, and Oakland.

Belichick had 0.

6-2 is a worse winning percentage then 4-0 all day and night.
    Belichick lost as a 3 and 12 point favorite in a Bowl. That never happened to Noll.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Chuck Noll had three teams with better records ahead of him in the 1970’s. Dallas, Miami, and Oakland.

Belichick had 0.

Belichick lost as a 3 and 12 point favorite in a Bowl. That never happened to Noll.

can you win a super bowl without making it to one? Can you make a super bowl without making it to the playoffs?

you are missing a vital, crucial piece here.

edited September 19, 2023 10:37AM
    Not a chance

lets extrapolate it WAY out here. Which coach is more successful?

would it be a coach who coached 20 years, missed the playoffs in 19 of those years and won one SB for a perfect Super Bowl record of 1-0?

or

a coach who did it for 20 years, missed the playoffs only 1 time and made it to 19 super bowls and had a SB record of 10-9?

The first coach had a "perfect" Super Bowl record. The second coach was barely over .500 in the Super Bowl.

you must see what I am getting at here, right? It should be CRYSTAL clear that the second coach was FAR more successful than the first. right?

Same goes for Noll and BB. sure, Noll had a "perfect" SB record, but BB was far more successful. His teams were in the mix way more and were making it deep into the playoffs/SB a majority of the time. this should be pretty easy to grasp.

100 out of 100 coaches would rather have a 6-2 SB record than 4-0

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Belichick had 0.

can you win a super bowl without making it to one? Can you make a super bowl without making it to the playoffs?

As I stated, Noll had three better decade teams ahead of him.
    Belichick always had the best decade teams.

Huge factor.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

edited September 19, 2023 10:40AM
    Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@4for4 said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Belichick had 0.

As I stated, Noll had three better decade teams ahead of him.
    Belichick always had the best decade teams.

Huge factor.

what do you mean by "decade team" I have never heard that term. do you mean that Noll's Steelers had the 4th best record for the 70's?

If so, how on earth is that an argument for a coach's greatness?

you also didnt answer the question. Can you win a SB without making it to one? or Making the Playoffs?

What Noll faced in his time

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

Not a chance. Unless Tom B wants the job. :D

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭

They likely wont fire him during the season, but they very easily could have a "mutual parting of ways" in the offseason. Kraft is 82 he doesnt have time to let Belicheck spend a few years chasing a record for a records sake. This is still professional sports and the greatest coaches of all time were all fired at some point. If Kraft dies all bets are off about when the parting would happen but its on the way

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

Jerry Jones is a whole different animal. The worst owner in the league.

@LandrysFedora said:

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

Did he make the wrong decisions switching Landry for JJ ?

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

AFAIK

Landry had agreed to step down as coach of the Cowboys, but reneged. He stayed on. Belichick has not yet gotten to that point where there has been truly prolonged failure and he said he was leaving. Not that this is the necessary process, I'm just pointing out that we are in the middle or beginning of the downturn, however you look at it.

These down years for Belichick, in the future, will be relegated to the dustbin just like they have been for Landry. With or without the Bill vs Tom debate, Belichick's legacy is secure even with these down years.

I do think that Belichick will be criticized for hanging in too long just to get the wins record, if that is how it plays out. And I do think it will play out like that.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

Absolutely not. Supposedly Schramm and Bright wanted to fire Landry but were afraid of the backlash so Jerry did it. The success that followed validates that decision.

Not a chance

@4for4 said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@4for4 said:

@doubledragon said:

There was no mistake made about that at all. Jimmy Johnson with his college football background, intimately knew the college football talent out there, and his drafting turned out to be spectacular. As an NFL head coach for the first time, Johnson adapted well to the NFL game.

The mistake made, a big mistake, was Jerry Jones years later getting rid of Jimmy Johnson. Which arguably is one of the most bonehead ownership moves with a head coach in NFL history.

RG 3’s words. Not mine.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in 2023

i hopefully voted yes but i think bill has blackmail on kreepy kraft that will prevent it.

what i didnt know is that he has blackmail on half this forum also with steveK the guy farthest out on a limb apparently

Not a chance

@bronco2078 said:
    i hopefully voted yes but i think bill has blackmail on kreepy kraft that will prevent it.

what i didnt know is that he has blackmail on half this forum also with steveK the guy farthest out on a limb apparently

Bill sends me a specified amount of cash by secret courier the first Monday of every month to write good things about him.

Sorry but I can't divulge the number, or he might not like that posted on a public forum.

@bronco2078 said:

Bill shows up every Tuesday with this to take care of Steve’s 100 acres.

Forum members on ignore
    daltex

Not a chance

It is easy to pile on when the team is 1-3, but BB is not getting fired.

edited October 4, 2023 5:03AM

@craig44 said:

It's more than that though.

We haven't seen much if any improvement with Mac Jones and this is his 3rd season, the offense is an absolute disaster and literally this falls on Bill with his ridiculously stupid personal moves, let's face it he thinks he can coach anyone to win games for him and that is just not the case

edited October 4, 2023 6:03AM
    Not a chance

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

We haven't seen much if any improvement with Mac Jones and this is his 3rd season, the offense is an absolute disaster and literally this falls on Bill with his ridiculously stupid personal moves, let's face it he thinks he can coach anyone to win games for him and that is just not the case

I agree that BB personal moves on offense are stupid. He has made some good moves on the defensive side. The reason Mac hasnt improved, in my opinion, is because he is just not that good.

Yes, in 2023

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I agree that BB personal moves on offense are stupid. He has made some good moves on the defensive side. The reason Mac hasnt improved, in my opinion, is because he is just not that good.

he was the 5th QB drafted in what turned out to be a bad year

Not a chance

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

he was the 5th QB drafted in what turned out to be a bad year

It is still amazing to me that everyone thought (me included) that draft class of QB's was going to be amazing.

boy was everyone wrong. its looking like Lawrence may be the only solid one.

Not a chance

Maybe Belichick should wait until the 6th round to draft a quarterback? 🤔

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2023 8:10AM
    Not a chance

Just what this forum needs, another lame Bill Belichick poll. I'd say that there's a better chance of a previously banned Bobby Orr fan getting the axe again than Bill Belichick getting axed this season.

You also have to factor in that he's currently the highest paid HC in football at 20M a season ansd he more than likely has numerous years left on his current deal. I doubt Kraft will want to be paying that type of money for a guy no longer with the team.

Yes, in 2023

@erikthredd said:
    Just what this forum needs, another lame Bill Belichick poll. I'd say that there's a better chance of a previously banned Bobby Orr fan getting the axe again than Bill Belichick getting axed this season.

You also have to factor in that he's currently the highest paid HC in football at 20M a season ansd he more than likely has numerous years left on his current deal. I doubt Kraft will want to be paying that type of money for a guy no longer with the team.

20 m goes a long way at orchids of asia

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

20 m goes a long way at orchids of asia

Why go all the way down to Florida when you have the TB12 facility fronting as a performance & recovery center?
    The secret password is Bobby K ballin in his Air Force Ones

All that lighthouse/jumbotron construction over the summer was just so Kraft could put in a secret underground tunnel going from his office to the recovery room.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭
    Not a chance

Let me see, Bill Belichick has now has a losing record how many years in a row now. ONE. How many coaches have won more games in the NFL, ZERO.

Yes, in 2023

@pdoidoi said:
    Let me see, Bill Belichick has now has a losing record how many years in a row now. ONE. How many coaches have won more games in the NFL, ZERO.

just a losing record whenever tom isnt here

Not a chance

He won with the Giants

Yes, in 2023

@pdoidoi said:
    He won with the Giants

he was a towel boy

Not a chance

@bronco2078 said:

@pdoidoi said:

just a losing record whenever tom isnt here

And your favorite coach has how many wins or championships.