Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seated Liberty Half Dollar Set (after brief hiatus)

LeeroybrownLeeroybrown Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 3, 2023 4:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well, after about a 2 year break from $20 Liberty Gold on Gold and collecting at all, I have gotten back into collecting in a familiar, but uncharted (for me) Territory…

…and in the Seated Liberty Half Dollar set I have found a new passion and a reinvigorating excitement for collecting.

The set has something for everyone and is both extremely tough, challenging with many rare and scarce dates, but also those that are attainable by anyone for a very affordable price tag.

I am working first in the DATE SET and will then splurge on over into various mint marks and would love thoughts on some of my purchases and acquisitions thus far…

See below for a few of my first pieces as the set begins to take shape…

As I continue to learn on the SLHD set, would love to see your circulated examples as well!

What do you love about the Seated Half Set? What are your favorite pieces in your set?? What do you love most about seated halves?!?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown said:
    Well, after about a 2 year break from $20 Liberty Gold on Gold and collecting at all, I have gotten back into collecting in a familiar, but uncharted (for me) Territory…

…and in the Seated Liberty Half Dollar set I have found a new passion and a reinvigorating excitement for collecting.

The set has something for everyone and is both extremely tough, challenging with many rare and scarce dates, but also those that are attainable by anyone for a very affordable price tag.

I am working first in the DATE SET and will then splurge on over into various mint marks and would love thoughts on some of my purchases and acquisitions thus far…

See below for a few of my first pieces as the set begins to take shape…

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leeroy- Glad to see you back at it. Seems like a nice affordable set to have fun with. Some of these Seated Halves have very small mintages and can be had for a reasonable some in the lesser grades. I love the circ cameo look that you are going for. Keep this thread updated as you do the set build. Good luck with the 1880s decade!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you’re posting again and that’s a nice looking set.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2023 4:55PM

Looks like you have a nice matched set going on so far, very nice 👍🏼

I think that the Seated Liberty coins, and especially the half dollars, are the nicest coins the U.S. Mint has ever produced. Everything about them, from the artistry to the symbolism of the Phrygian Liberty cap on a pole, appeals to me.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Great consistency from one coin to the next in appearance. Hard to pick which one I like best. These are excellent examples that there is quality at every grade level.

I don’t own any from the San Francisco mint but someday I will. Have always like the big S!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Wow! Great consistency from one coin to the next in appearance. Hard to pick which one I like best. These are excellent examples that there is quality at every grade level.

I don’t own any from the San Francisco mint but someday I will. Have always like the big S!

Me too CATBERT! My 61-S has the big S and is way cool…. A lower grade example, but I still love it.

• Options

I was talking to a few fellow seated half dollar collectors this week and one of them told me that even though the 1879-90 portion of the set has extremely low mintages…. The real difficult coins in the set are the dates as follows…

What are your thoughts on this list above of difficult date/ mint marks?

• Options

Calling @Barberian

• Options
    stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

A nice circ set, a lot of character, looking forward to seeing additions. One date left off the list above is by far the toughest date in the series, the 1878-S.

• Options

• Options
    edited September 3, 2023 7:13PM

Wow Catbert! That 52-O is amazing!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2023 9:31PM

@Leeroybrown said:
    I was talking to a few fellow seated half dollar collectors this week and one of them told me that even though the 1879-90 portion of the set has extremely low mintages…. The real difficult coins in the set are the dates as follows…

>

What are your thoughts on this list above of difficult date/ mint marks?

That pretty much covers them, though I'd add the 1842-O small date and 1850 while perhaps deleting the 1874-S. I found the 1841 and 1848 to be difficult to find as well.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins everyone! Keep the eye candy coming.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Leeroybrown great looking examples and best of luck on your endeavour towards the remainder of your set, We look forward to your new additions.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are the types of coins that I really like. Circulated, honest looking patina, just enough details - gotta love it.

Hope you find the others you're looking for without too much trouble.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another guy that should weigh in is JBN. His AU set is full of natural looking but attractive examples.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

I like both. Are these 2 1881’s yours?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file