Options

New Coin Tech!

2»

Comments

• Options

@Dave99B said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@Dave99B said:
    Neat little system you're building. I was a commercial software developer for 35 years. Over that time, I built several inventory systems for coin collecting, but I always ended up just going back to Excel. It's just hard to beat in terms of flexibility.

Dave

Dave that's super interesting! Can I ask if there were any specific struggles you routinely seemed to face? did you try to commercialize it? Or just private use for yourself? Thanks for the time!

It was really intended for my own use only. That said, if I felt that the end product was good enough, I might try and commercialize it. In the end, I felt like I was almost re-inventing Excel! Anyway, good luck with your project. Looks cool.

Dave

Thank you Dave,

Please reach out with any suggestions or if you would like to potentially collaborate at some point in the future. Would love to hear more about building something like this from a programmers perspective

• Options

@Chattermonkey said:
    OP, I was playing around with your website. Great work! I think some of the categories are redundant, e.g. when adding a coin the first two fields are category and title, then towards the bottom of page there are three drop down menus categorized as, denomination, type, and date-- I feel that these are the most important and should be located up top and the first fields to be completed by the user. In addition, maybe consider a 'sold' field that also calculates total +/- costs and a field to hyperlink directly to certificate either ngc or pcgs and maybe a drop down menu for CAC; yes, no, need to send. Thats all I could think of for now

@erscolo said:
    I do not use Excel, instead I use a coin collection software program. I deal with spreadsheets all day long and have no interest in them outside working hours. I have nearly 3,000 items, and all works pretty well.

Would you mind sharing what software you're using? Hoping it's free so that I can start managing my small but growing collection

RaritiesValue.com is free for small and growing collections! Feel free to try it out

• Options

@jerseyben said:
    Also, I recommend you account for a way to include extra costs associated with a coin purchase. For example, buying a raw coin and then having it graded. Sending a graded coin to CAC, etc.

Sorry I missed this comment before. That's a great idea! I'll have to try and figure out how to best work that in. Thanks

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@spyglassdesign said:
    I use excel but I will check it out. Built my own spreadsheet to meet my exact needs.

Thanks! Would be very curious to hear what you think!

It looks like a great start. I break down my sales even more though... Ie cost, cost of grading if bought raw and sent to grading, and then the sales costs such as ebay fees, ebay ad fees, shipping paid by client and shopping paid by me. I also do a statistical analysis of percentage of profit of each sale. For instance I know I average an 85% take on ebay sales.

Additionally I track ebay store fees, payouts, and every coin sold on another sheet, and credit card payments.

It looks good from a basic tracking standpoint but it doesn't do as much as my own spreadsheet. I do like some of the categorization options though.

Thank you for the feedback! I will have to look into adding multiple additional cost details such as grading fees.

We are super early in development but future modules will include ways to track cost, sales, profit reports, etc! Please stay tuned!

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raritiesvalue said:

@spyglassdesign said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@spyglassdesign said:
    I use excel but I will check it out. Built my own spreadsheet to meet my exact needs.

It looks like a great start. I break down my sales even more though... Ie cost, cost of grading if bought raw and sent to grading, and then the sales costs such as ebay fees, ebay ad fees, shipping paid by client and shopping paid by me. I also do a statistical analysis of percentage of profit of each sale. For instance I know I average an 85% take on ebay sales.

Additionally I track ebay store fees, payouts, and every coin sold on another sheet, and credit card payments.

It looks good from a basic tracking standpoint but it doesn't do as much as my own spreadsheet. I do like some of the categorization options though.

Thank you for the feedback! I will have to look into adding multiple additional cost details such as grading fees.

We are super early in development but future modules will include ways to track cost, sales, profit reports, etc! Please stay tuned!

I am watching this thread. I haven't really played around much with your system yet as I haven't had time, but will try to soon.

Glad to hear you taking input. Looking forward to see what you do with it!

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@spyglassdesign said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@spyglassdesign said:

I am watching this thread. I haven't really played around much with your system yet as I haven't had time, but will try to soon.

Glad to hear you taking input. Looking forward to see what you do with it!

Thanks for your willingness to try it out! We are trying to do whatever we can to improve the platform and really build something useful for fellow dealers and collectors! It's a work in progress but it should just have more and more utility for everyone as we grow!

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a little program called Coin Organizer Deluxe, by PrimaSoft. Bought it a couple of decades ago and imported the collection into it from an older database I was using, that had ceased being compatible with a Windows upgrade - I chose it simply because of all the coin database options available at the time (including whatever version of Excel was floating around back then), it seemed to be the most compatible with the exported files from the older database. Been using it ever since.

In terms of the OP's site, 95% of my collection is non-American; how flexible is it, in terms of world and ancient coins?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my inventory is up in my head. And, from time to time, I'll reach for a paper pad and form lists. Every once in a while, I'll move a coin from a subset to the main set and vise-versa, move one out. For example, a 1947-S with EDS-PL surfaces but the luster and russet toning is a bit subtle. But I have grown to like the coin.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@Sapyx said:
    I use a little program called Coin Organizer Deluxe, by PrimaSoft. Bought it a couple of decades ago and imported the collection into it from an older database I was using, that had ceased being compatible with a Windows upgrade - I chose it simply because of all the coin database options available at the time (including whatever version of Excel was floating around back then), it seemed to be the most compatible with the exported files from the older database. Been using it ever since.

In terms of the OP's site, 95% of my collection is non-American; how flexible is it, in terms of world and ancient coins?

That you for sharing your experience using a coin inventory platform!

RaritiesValue.com currently allows you to track anything, but you cannot characterize coins into sets outside of the default US.

We are however working on custom sets, which will allow you to create sets for anything you want! When this launches you will be able to track world coins, ancient coins, or whatever other coins or combinations of coins you'd like! Stay tuned :), this is built out already we are just finalizing some more features before we launch them.

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    Most of my inventory is up in my head. And, from time to time, I'll reach for a paper pad and form lists. Every once in a while, I'll move a coin from a subset to the main set and vise-versa, move one out. For example, a 1947-S with EDS-PL surfaces but the luster and russet toning is a bit subtle. But I have grown to like the coin.

Leo

Very nice! I would encourage you to create an account on RaritiesValue.com and see if our software can help you keep track. You are able to edit coins and move coins between sets as you do on pen and paper. We are working on a way to store images as well so that you can see all the pictures of your coins as you shared here!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2023 11:30AM

Besides organization by SKU# and 4 high end photos of each coin in folders,

I also have an ebay store and a website which has limitless ways to search my 800 plus coin inventory via keywords.

I can physically locate any coin and information in just a few seconds.

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Besides organization by SKU# and 4 high end photos of each coin in folders,

I also have an ebay store and a website which has limitless ways to search my 800 plus coin inventory via keywords.

I can physically locate any coin and information in just a few seconds.

Love it! Thanks.

I do agree that being able to find coins easily is essential. We have a filtering / search feature in production now, and it will be pushed live in the next batch of updates!

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Pcgs inventory, MyCollect and hard copies in a file cabinet.
    Wayne

So I backed up my backups onto a memory stick.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Pcgs inventory, MyCollect and hard copies in a file cabinet.
    Wayne

So I backed up my backups onto a memory stick.

Wayne

Thanks for the info Wayne! A great idea and very practical

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2023 3:41PM

I use Libre Calc. I've tried other programs/sites and none came close to the functionality of a spreadsheet. I have 7 or so tabs labeled as: Entire Collection (with value and location info), Slabbed/certified coins, Silver Eagles, Mint Sets, Raw Commems, Raw coins, Misc. I visited your site but did not enter because I don't want to create another account. Please allow for Google or other login or a test drive. I don't mind hand-jamming cert numbers but all TPG certs should be allowed entry. If I can't load all my inventory, I won't use it. Good luck with this endeavor.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options

@PapiNE said:
    I use Libre Calc. I've tried other programs/sites and none came close to the functionality of a spreadsheet. I have 7 or so tabs labeled as: Entire Collection (with value and location info), Slabbed/certified coins, Silver Eagles, Mint Sets, Raw Commems, Raw coins, Misc. I visited your site but did not enter because I don't want to create another account. Please allow for Google or other login or a test drive. I don't mind hand-jamming cert numbers but all TPG certs should be allowed entry. If I can't load all my inventory, I won't use it. Good luck with this endeavor.

Thank you for that feedback. We will look into enabling login with google and other third parties! In regards to actually adding coins, we are enhancing some features to allow easier additions.

Can I ask for clarity what you mean by loading inventory and TPG certs being allowed entry? Are you looking for something that can connect to sites like PCGS, CAC, and NGC where putting in the cert number auto enters information?

Thanks again!

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@raritiesvalue said:

@PapiNE said:
    Can I ask for clarity what you mean by loading inventory and TPG certs being allowed entry? Are you looking for something that can connect to sites like PCGS, CAC, and NGC where putting in the cert number auto enters information?

Thanks again!

Bingo. NGC inventory will accept PCGS certs. PCGS accepts none. MyCollect doesn't accept ANACS and others. I'd appreciate all certs being recognized and auto-fill of the available information. Admittedly, I don't know if this has legal implications.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@PapiNE said:

Thanks again!

Bingo. NGC inventory will accept PCGS certs. PCGS accepts none. MyCollect doesn't accept ANACS and others. I'd appreciate all certs being recognized and auto-fill of the available information. Admittedly, I don't know if this has legal implications.

PCGS phone app allow you to enter NGC coins into its inventory.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@PapiNE said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@PapiNE said:

Thanks again!

We can look into working on that, thank you for the suggestion! Will have to look into the legal implications but I imagine there is a way to do it!

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭

@PapiNE this "Will have to look into the legal implications but I imagine there is a way to do it!"

Some company did this years ago (7-8) and got a cease & desist from our host. Look it up.
    It was sweet too, but they (our host) stopped the company from doing it.

I had the application and that feature just quit working one day.

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

@baddogss said:
    @PapiNE this "Will have to look into the legal implications but I imagine there is a way to do it!"

Some company did this years ago (7-8) and got a cease & desist from our host. Look it up.
    It was sweet too, but they (our host) stopped the company from doing it.

I had the application and that feature just quit working one day.

Do you happen to have the name of the company? I would love to research the case!

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@PapiNE said:

@raritiesvalue said:

@PapiNE said:

Thanks again!

PCGS phone app allow you to enter NGC coins into its inventory.

Wayne

Thank you!

• Options

Thank you to those who are following this thread! We just pushed a batch of updates per feedback!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raritiesvalue said:
    Do you happen to have the name of the company? I would love to research the case!

Won't be anything to look up. A C&D is just a letter and a threat. If you ignore it AND they take action like filing suit, then there are footprints.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am searching for "some" easy way to record my coins

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@raritiesvalue said:

Won't be anything to look up. A C&D is just a letter and a threat. If you ignore it AND they take action like filing suit, then there are footprints.

Gotcha, I assumed there would be something to lookup based on your previous comment. I'm sure there are some copyright issues with a bunch of softwares. We are trying hard to not step on any toes.

• Options

@YQQ said:
    I am searching for "some" easy way to record my coins

Please feel free to try out our platform! Right now it's free and we intend to keep a free version available even after we start charging for some features. https://www.raritiesvalue.com

• Options
    edited October 6, 2023 7:07AM

Canadian coins only????
    And, I can not find the cost of your product.....

• Options

@YQQ said:
    Canadian coins only????
    And, I can not find the cost of your product.....

We allow any sort of item you want to add. We have custom sets for US coin types but you can always add a custom set for Canadian coins if you would like.

Free right now, we are working on premium features but for now we are not charging and plan on keeping a free version available for some time even after we charge for premium features.

• Options

you still have not mentioned the cost when charging?????

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raritiesvalue said:
    Free right now, we are working on premium features but for now we are not charging and plan on keeping a free version available for some time even after we charge for premium features.

And I'm out... if there's not a guaranteed basic **usable ** free-for-life product, I'm out.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file