Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Coin Tech!

raritiesvalueraritiesvalue Posts: 47
edited October 4, 2023 12:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

UPDATE 10/4/2023: Thank you everyone for the support! We have added the following features.

Hi, I'm a University student from Wisconsin with a life-long interest in coin collecting! In growing my small business / collection, I have always tried to do the best I could to keep track of everything:

What coins I have.

How much I paid.

Where I purchased from.

When I purchased.

I remember starting years ago on paper, writing down the cost of items in a small notepad. This was fine for a couple years while I was still a very young collector, but as I grew there was no way to keep up. And as you can imagine, reading the handwriting of a 12 year old could prove difficult!

Fast forward a few years, and I began using spreadsheets. Of course the scalability of these sheets changed the game for me! I was no longer limited by the size of my notebook or my terrible handwriting, and I could begin recording thousands of coins!

As I take more business classes and begin to think more entrepreneurially, I am realizing how "dull" spreadsheets are. Not only are they boring to look at, but they have limited functionality and are certainly not built for coin collectors in mind.

That's why I am creating a website to help you track your collection or rare coin inventory!

Here is what we have built so far.

The inventory view allows you to add coins into your inventory as you get them. You can store certain data such as where you got the coin, and how much you paid for it. Once coins are added, you can then view them in a list view as shown.

I also wanted to add a digital feel of collecting to the platform. I have also been interested in filling coin albums, but I feel this is an element that has been lost with certification. I wanted to bring this back digitally for collectors, and so we added a feature where you can create sets based on what coins are in your inventory.

We made it where coins appear as shown above based on what you have and what you have yet to add.

We have been working hard for months trying to build this thing and its finally ready to use at raritiesvalue.com if you are interested in playing around with it! I would love to hear honest feedback and if this is something you would use or not! We are building it for coin collectors and small dealers specifically so if there is something you would like added we are happy to accommodate!

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PCGS set registry inventory. I should probably copy it all into EXCEL, though, in case for some reason that information becomes unavailable.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give each coin a unique SKU# and file the coins by SKU#s.

This way you can always find a coin in a few seconds.

Have images of the coins and make the image number the SKU#. Add an "r " to the SKU for the reverse image

• Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I use the free "LibreOffice Calc".

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would argue that excel has far more functionality than any other tool.

MyCollect now has inventory functionality and is backed by Ian Russell.

Some dealers use Quickbooks and there are also some coin dealer specific software solutions available but they are generally expensive.

• Options

@Herb_T said:
    Excel

I would guess this or Google Sheets are the most common answers! Personally I use Google Sheets but am looking to transition over to RaritiesValue

• Options

@Walkerfan said:
    The PCGS set registry inventory. I should probably copy it all into EXCEL, though, in case for some reason that information becomes unavailable.

Never personally used registry for inventory tracking, but thanks for the pointer! Being able to export it is definitely important!

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Give each coin a unique SKU# and file the coins by SKU#s.

This way you can always find a coin in a few seconds.

Have images of the coins and make the image number the SKU#. Add an "r " to the SKU for the reverse image

That's a great idea! I have a basic SKU system already but would definitely help to implement it with photos as well!

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    I use the free "LibreOffice Calc".

That's interesting, I haven't heard about it. I'll have to check it out!

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use excel but I will check it out. Built my own spreadsheet to meet my exact needs.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you manage your collection?

Well, other than using a custom Excel workbook to keep track of what types and how many are in the harem, and cells to track where they came from, and when they came to live with me, and how much I paid as well as how much they cost in upkeep (certifications, reviews, stickers, etc.) ...

I really try to get each of one of them to work and take care of me, and to fawn over me a little, instead of the other way around.

I guess I'm not a great manager. Mostly they just sit there looking pretty.

;)

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Registry

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not use Excel, instead I use a coin collection software program. I deal with spreadsheets all day long and have no interest in them outside working hours. I have nearly 3,000 items, and all works pretty well.

• Options
    ChattermonkeyChattermonkey Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited August 24, 2023 8:34PM

OP, I was playing around with your website. Great work! I think some of the categories are redundant, e.g. when adding a coin the first two fields are category and title, then towards the bottom of page there are three drop down menus categorized as, denomination, type, and date-- I feel that these are the most important and should be located up top and the first fields to be completed by the user. In addition, maybe consider a 'sold' field that also calculates total +/- costs and a field to hyperlink directly to certificate either ngc or pcgs and maybe a drop down menu for CAC; yes, no, need to send. Thats all I could think of for now

@erscolo said:
    I do not use Excel, instead I use a coin collection software program. I deal with spreadsheets all day long and have no interest in them outside working hours. I have nearly 3,000 items, and all works pretty well.

Would you mind sharing what software you're using? Hoping it's free so that I can start managing my small but growing collection

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2023 6:52AM

I use excel as it is superior fit for me - custom easy design, big picture see it all on one page, bottom line total easy to find guy ((Summary page w gtaphs). Don’t care for the new wave techie, AI computer crap.

Custom designed Excel sheet & PCGS Inventory Manager. The PCGS inventory manager (on phone) keeps track of pop, auc data, PCGS MV and interface w coin facts.

The excel sheet - cost, sell based on cost plus, various MV inputs. Then interface with acctg journals like SJ & PJ plus link to financials. Custom RCI acctg system I designed. Then each coin or banknote has sticker w cost code, price or MV code.

In this way one can get big pic overview of the biz: Sales-Cos = GM. GM-Opex=NI. From this one can deduce what mark up factors or needed accomplish profit goals of the business.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been using Excel since the 1990's to track the over 4,000 different Nolan Ryan cards that I once had. At the moment I have less than 100 coins so I use the PCGS Registry and an Excel spreadsheet. I can customize Excel to include links and photos and pretty much all the info that I need.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2023 7:59AM

For those using Excel. Please checkout the "LibreOffice Calc", it's a free and open source software.
    So you do not have to pay Microsoft for Excel :)
    You would get all the applications you would normal use with Microsoft office but for free, and it's compatible with MS-Office, so when you save your documents you can still share them with others who use MS Excel without issues:
    https://www.libreoffice.org

• Options

@spyglassdesign said:
    I use excel but I will check it out. Built my own spreadsheet to meet my exact needs.

Thanks! Would be very curious to hear what you think!

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    How do you manage your collection?

Well, other than using a custom Excel workbook to keep track of what types and how many are in the harem, and cells to track where they came from, and when they came to live with me, and how much I paid as well as how much they cost in upkeep (certifications, reviews, stickers, etc.) ...

I really try to get each of one of them to work and take care of me, and to fawn over me a little, instead of the other way around.

I guess I'm not a great manager. Mostly they just sit there looking pretty.

;)

I guess after all enjoying the coins is much more important than the book keeping!

• Options

@TomB said:
    I use Excel and have been doing so for over three-decades, both as a collector and full-time dealer. It is essentially infinitely customizable, easy to use and data does not have to be uploaded to another site. I have no issue with folks using other things, but Excel has worked for me forever.

Thanks for the response! Personally I have used Google Sheets, but not excel for this. However, I think they are essentially the same thing.

• Options

@erscolo said:

Thanks for the comment. I'm curious, what software program do you use if you don't mind sharing?

• Options

@Chattermonkey said:
    OP, I was playing around with your website. Great work! I think some of the categories are redundant, e.g. when adding a coin the first two fields are category and title, then towards the bottom of page there are three drop down menus categorized as, denomination, type, and date-- I feel that these are the most important and should be located up top and the first fields to be completed by the user. In addition, maybe consider a 'sold' field that also calculates total +/- costs and a field to hyperlink directly to certificate either ngc or pcgs and maybe a drop down menu for CAC; yes, no, need to send. Thats all I could think of for now

@erscolo said:

Would you mind sharing what software you're using? Hoping it's free so that I can start managing my small but growing collection

Thank you very much for the suggestions! We can certainly work on adding those changes in the coming weeks. I appreciate it

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Custom designed Excel sheet & PCGS Inventory Manager. The PCGS inventory manager (on phone) keeps track of pop, auc data, PCGS MV and interface w coin facts.

The excel sheet - cost, sell based on cost plus, various MV inputs. Then interface with acctg journals like SJ & PJ plus link to financials. Custom RCI acctg system I designed. Then each coin or banknote has sticker w cost code, price or MV code.

In this way one can get big pic overview of the biz: Sales-Cos = GM. GM-Opex=NI. From this one can deduce what mark up factors or needed accomplish profit goals of the business.

Thank you for the response and suggestions!

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Chad, looks nice! My only suggestion would be to change the "seller" field to say something like "source".

• Options

@raritiesvalue said:

@spyglassdesign said:

Thanks! Would be very curious to hear what you think!

It looks like a great start. I break down my sales even more though... Ie cost, cost of grading if bought raw and sent to grading, and then the sales costs such as ebay fees, ebay ad fees, shipping paid by client and shopping paid by me. I also do a statistical analysis of percentage of profit of each sale. For instance I know I average an 85% take on ebay sales.

Additionally I track ebay store fees, payouts, and every coin sold on another sheet, and credit card payments.

It looks good from a basic tracking standpoint but it doesn't do as much as my own spreadsheet. I do like some of the categorization options though.

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Also, I recommend you account for a way to include extra costs associated with a coin purchase. For example, buying a raw coin and then having it graded. Sending a graded coin to CAC, etc.

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    For those using Excel. Please checkout the "LibreOffice Calc", it's a free and open source software.
    So you do not have to pay Microsoft for Excel :)
    You would get all the applications you would normal use with Microsoft office but for free, and it's compatible with MS-Office, so when you save your documents you can still share them with others who use MS Excel without issues:
    https://www.libreoffice.org

Those of us using excel probably already own it... I do.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just keep a few Excel spreadsheets with all that information.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs inventory, MyCollect and hard copies in a file cabinet.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using various Google docs to keep track of my collection for several years now. One that lists out the basics for each set date/mint, grade, TPG and the source. Then I have several more than go into detail about cost, condition and notes for my family to be able to potentially sell them if I am not around.

I have begun to upload some of my stuff to mycollect so we'll see how that goes.

• Options

@bagofnickels said:
    I have been using various Google docs to keep track of my collection for several years now. One that lists out the basics for each set date/mint, grade, TPG and the source. Then I have several more than go into detail about cost, condition and notes for my family to be able to potentially sell them if I am not around.

I have begun to upload some of my stuff to mycollect so we'll see how that goes.

Very interesting! Seems pretty comprehensive

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used Coin Elite software for many years and it does everything you would ever need.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I record my coin purchases in three separate "hard copy" record books.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭

I use the MY Collection feature at Heritage Coins to keep track of my collection. You might want to check it out just to see how it compares to your own format. (Which looks very impressive.)
    I also have a coin journal that is leather bound and filled with handmade paper. It was a gift from one of my children. (Purchased at a Renaissance Festival.) probably not what you are looking for.

• Options

@CoinHoarder said:
    I record my coin purchases in three separate "hard copy" record books.

I like it! Any concerns for losing the data since it is a unique physical copy? Or is each it's own copy?

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I use the MY Collection feature at Heritage Coins to keep track of my collection. You might want to check it out just to see how it compares to your own format. (Which looks very impressive.)
    I also have a coin journal that is leather bound and filled with handmade paper. It was a gift from one of my children. (Purchased at a Renaissance Festival.) probably not what you are looking for.

Thank you! I'm actively trying to find what tools and features we can add to make it not only more useful to myself, but to other collectors as well.

Any specific features that you really enjoy or find helpful that really stand out from Heritage or MyCollect?

The leather bound tracker is cool! I like the look and feel of tracking with pen and paper!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just use our hosts inventory for slabbed PCGS. What few I have from ATS as well as bulk raw and 34 different Danscos I have no record or inventory besides the coins themselves.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat little system you're building. I was a commercial software developer for 35 years. Over that time, I built several inventory systems for coin collecting, but I always ended up just going back to Excel. It's just hard to beat in terms of flexibility.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭

The feature I like best is called Wizard entry. All you have to do is enter the slab number and the site imports everything; pictures and all.

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since a majority of my collection are in PCGS Slabs I use the My Inventory on here for those.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2023 9:58AM

I use a spreadsheet with ingested images. Some information redacted to be compliant with PII (Personally Identifiable Information) protections. Please note some of the information from 3rd Party grading comments are for my own benefit. Please see https://www.pcgs.com/ and https://www.ngccoin.com for their own comments on each coin in the series presented and do not reference my personal spreadsheet or how I have retyped their information into my personal spreadsheet for my own, unique benefit. Feigenbaum (David Lawrence) book information can be found at the https://nnp.wustl.edu/encyclopedia/seriesdetail/88 Newman Portal.

I maintain a .pdf file of the collection for easy reference from my cell phone.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used a Microsoft Access database for many years. I developed the table in the database myself. It doesn't work well, of course, for use by websites but my only need is to keep an inventory.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use Excel.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

@Tom147 said:
    I just use our hosts inventory for slabbed PCGS. What few I have from ATS as well as bulk raw and 34 different Danscos I have no record or inventory besides the coins themselves.

Nice, I love the look and feel of danscos which is why I wanted to include the sets in our program. Right now its pretty basic but I want to add some customizability as far as digital album shape and color, and the ability to add photos. Then you can carry your dansco collection anywhere on your phone!

• Options

@Dave99B said:
    Neat little system you're building. I was a commercial software developer for 35 years. Over that time, I built several inventory systems for coin collecting, but I always ended up just going back to Excel. It's just hard to beat in terms of flexibility.

Dave

Dave that's super interesting! Can I ask if there were any specific struggles you routinely seemed to face? did you try to commercialize it? Or just private use for yourself? Thanks for the time!

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    The feature I like best is called Wizard entry. All you have to do is enter the slab number and the site imports everything; pictures and all.

Super helpful! I should ready out to PCGS (and their not to be mentioned on collector's universe forum competitors) to see if they would want to partner with integrations. Thanks for the pointer!

• Options

@sedulous said:
    I use a spreadsheet with ingested images. Some information redacted to be compliant with PII (Personally Identifiable Information) protections. Please note some of the information from 3rd Party grading comments are for my own benefit. Please see https://www.pcgs.com/ and https://www.ngccoin.com for their own comments on each coin in the series presented and do not reference my personal spreadsheet or how I have retyped their information into my personal spreadsheet for my own, unique benefit. Feigenbaum (David Lawrence) book information can be found at the https://nnp.wustl.edu/encyclopedia/seriesdetail/88 Newman Portal.

I maintain a .pdf file of the collection for easy reference from my cell phone.

Very interesting and comprehensive! Did you build this yourself?

• Options

@ernie11 said:
    I've used a Microsoft Access database for many years. I developed the table in the database myself. It doesn't work well, of course, for use by websites but my only need is to keep an inventory.

Nice! What features would you add if you could? I suppose inventory tracking itself is largely sufficient but if the programming and limitations of Access were of no consideration?

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raritiesvalue said:

@Dave99B said:

Dave

Dave that's super interesting! Can I ask if there were any specific struggles you routinely seemed to face? did you try to commercialize it? Or just private use for yourself? Thanks for the time!

It was really intended for my own use only. That said, if I felt that the end product was good enough, I might try and commercialize it. In the end, I felt like I was almost re-inventing Excel! Anyway, good luck with your project. Looks cool.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file