Home U.S. Coin Forum

Unusual Seated Quarter Love Token

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I run across love tokens in the course of looking at Seated Quarters on ebay, but I've never seen one with a cut out like this. Very cool. It's almost certainly a Catholic reference. I'm guessing the "D of E" is the "Diocese of E??????" Since it's dated 1871, it could probably be researched to a specific Diocese or event.

Comments

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool one..
    Quarters are a great denomination for love tokens 👍

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice love token.... Not often seen with cutouts (except for holes). Cheers, RickO

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 7:45AM

I'm guessing it's technically not a love token as such, but a badge of some kind. But nice piece, whatever it is.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect religious related love tokens. I like this one a lot.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda nice that they spared the date. I like it.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Kinda nice that they spared the date. I like it.

I think the cutout was purposely placed to show that way on the obv.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, when I first saw it I thought it was a funerary piece, but that is just a hunch.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keeping it simple, I thought "D of E" is Death of E ???

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Sold for $51 on ebay. Seems like a good price.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkwM3GLW8BQ
    Maybe the 1961 "Duke of Earl" was just a cover version? :)

@CaptHenway said:
    FWIW, when I first saw it I thought it was a funerary piece, but that is just a hunch.

I'm an idiot. I had to look up "funerary". :s

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Sold for $51 on ebay. Seems like a good price.

I had a slightly higher bid set to go, but cancelled it at the last moment because of the solder on the obverse. If the pin was still attached I would've gone much higher.

@yosclimber said:
    Maybe the 1961 "Duke of Earl" was just a cover version? :)

Nailed it!

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Duke of Edinburgh" ??

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. I love LTs, and have never before seen a cutout like that done in a 19th century context. Cross cutouts done by machine are extremely common on modern zinc cents, of course, but this early forebear of those is quite different. I like it!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too have never seen a love token with a cut-out. It's also unusual to see one on a quarter. Most love tokens were carved on dimes. Here is a quarter love token which I have had for many years.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Here's another interesting one. Maybe a GAR encampment?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file