Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Let the Fireworks Begin...Share Your July Sparklers

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

@halosfan said:
    Always such a great variety of cards in these monthly threads. Waiting on my next AROD sub to get through grading and came across this set. I’ll have to slab up the rest of them.

How have I never seen these? Those are very cool.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool Holsum card - wonder why Payton is wearing #21?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:

@brad31 said:
    Cool Holsum card - wonder why Payton is wearing #21?

Payton was originally assigned 21 in his first camp with the Bears but switched to 34 before the start of that season.

hey Kidhof,
    I wanna know more about the buildings in the background there... :)

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack you know more than I do :)

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Trottier! Always loved that card for some reason, such a snapshot in time of hockey in the mid late 70s. Tiny shoulder pads, jersey over skin, very cool.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    Here are a few of my favorites (I'm a huge Stabler guy) just in from grading...

hey BBBrkrr,
    Oh Yeah...Very Nice... :)

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Deron Johnson...who also played for the Reds in the mid 1960s and was a good hitter.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    ===== the 1969 design trumps the 1968 burlap design.

I would rather own 100 copies of the1969 Ryan's, Benches, and Seavers than any one of the 1968 rookie items. Never liked that burlap finish :s

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    I have always liked this card...but severe tilt issues with the image precluded me from adding this card to my collection.
    Then...this copy surfaced and I was sold. Same image used here...as in the 1968 Tom Seaver card (which I own in a PSA-9 and purchased from Superior Sportscards at a National in Chicago ~1993)...but the 1969 design trumps the 1968 burlap design.

hey mintonlypls,
    Nice looking Tom.... 93 National in Chicago: Time of my life...Oh Yeah... :)

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great ‘69 Seaver. Been looking for a well centered tilt free one for years. That is a beauty.

No idea the TSR cards exist. Loved their art as a kid. Cool box.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an extremely exceptional PSA-4!!!!!!!

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@RonSportscards said:
    My Feb special just popped and I got killed, especially on Pre-70 stuff.
    This is a PSA 4 folks. (Not a typo. Yeah, yeah...but the surface? The surface was good)
    I was thinking 6, and given the other 6's I've seen, a 7 would be a gift but not outrageous.

And if you're planning to send in any '69 Deckle Edge, don't.
    Mine were really clean, and while some had surface micro scratches, others were pretty perfect surfaces.
    Basically 5's and 6's across the board, with a 4 and a 7 to break it up. (Was each card looked at individually?)

The '80's cards were mostly graded correctly. A couple missed by 1 point.
    And then the Jordan. It wasn't a 5 when I sent it in.

I feel your pain.

I had at least 4 come back last week that had been damaged somewhere between leaving my house and arriving. Big, 1" lone creases along the bottom of each card like it got wedged between something.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:
    This is a PSA 4 folks. (Not a typo. Yeah, yeah...but the surface? The surface was good)
    I was thinking 6, and given the other 6's I've seen, a 7 would be a gift but not outrageous.

Mine were really clean, and while some had surface micro scratches, others were pretty perfect surfaces.
    Basically 5's and 6's across the board, with a 4 and a 7 to break it up. (Was each card looked at individually?)

You have pretty much sealed the deal on me having hope for my vintage sub. 4's are low-mid grade....and your cards are not mid grade whatsoever. My cards have been done with the grading stage since 28 June and simply nothing. Now with the National, I may not see my cards for another month or more. Dare I say this....this is basically not even fun anymore. It used to be my favorite part of the hobby. Buying nice raw cards and then submitting them.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@RonSportscards said:

You have pretty much sealed the deal on me having hope for my vintage sub. 4's are low-mid grade....and your cards are not mid grade whatsoever. My cards have been done with the grading stage since 28 June and simply nothing. Now with the National, I may not see my cards for another month or more. Dare I say this....this is basically not even fun anymore. It used to be my favorite part of the hobby. Buying nice raw cards and then submitting them.

I'm the same, man. I used to LOVE submitting, and it encouraged me to buy & rip. I don't even consider buying unopened anymore unless it is so cheap I can't pass it up. There's just no upside anymore.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    Dare I say this....this is basically not even fun anymore. It used to be my favorite part of the hobby. Buying nice raw cards and then submitting them.

I got screwed 20+ years ago by PSA and it stopped being fun, and I stopped.
    Before this popped, I sent in a 50-card sub for the 80s July special, and if I got hammered again, I may be out.
    I also have a stack of cherry picked 70s cards, but I'm real hesitant now.

I have a stack of Deckle Edge I didn't send in, thinking they'd be 3s and 4s.
    I send in my better ones and I still see 4s and 5s?
    I see others for sale that are tilted and borderline miscut that are PSA 7s and 8s.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a card owner and the TPG disagree on a card’s grade, who’s to say who has the “better eye” and who’s right or wrong? It’s not my automatic default position to side with the card owner. Human error can happen on both sides.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    When a card owner and the TPG disagree on a card’s grade, who’s to say who has the “better eye” and who’s right or wrong? It’s not my automatic default position to side with the card owner. Human error can happen on both sides.

Very true; but one very important thing needs to be put in this equation. The TPG has been in business for 32 years and has written standards and millions of cards that have been in the marketplace. The applied standards of the 1st 30 years seem to not be used at this point. The last couple of years is a separate set of grading standards. Question is....what are the standards???

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

For sure. I"m just amazed at the inconsistency.

I try not to put much blame on PSA though it does probably sneak out more than I'd like. I'm human and will miss things.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@DBesse27 said:

For sure. I"m just amazed at the inconsistency.

I try not to put much blame on PSA though it does probably sneak out more than I'd like. I'm human and will miss things.

That’s all I’m saying. I know I don’t have the eye to be a professional grader and I’ve only complained about 2 of my 700+ cards I’ve graded. On one of those I’m likely still wrong (the other bumped after a crack out).

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@DBesse27 said:

Very true; but one very important thing needs to be put in this equation. The TPG has been in business for 32 years and has written standards and millions of cards that have been in the marketplace. The applied standards of the 1st 30 years seem to not be used at this point. The last couple of years is a separate set of grading standards. Question is....what are the standards???

And yet people here will say standards have not changed from day 1. I'm very realistic and I'm not one of those guys that think every card of mine is a 10. 1 grading point miss can be debated, but 2 or 3 points discrepancy is a problem and possibly a systemic problem if it occurs mainly in a subset of cards, like vintage, for example.

I can't say as a blanket statement,
    the last couple of year's standards have changed across the board, because my 90s special results were mostly on point as compared to my "eye". Admittedly, some of those 8s I thought were 9s, were rightfully 8s after reexamination. But again we're talking 1 point, not 2, 3, or 4 points off.

• Options

Not saying this is definitely the case with either the Rose or the Guidry, since nobody can tell for certain from a pic (and only the fronts), but usually the reason for an unexpected PSA 4 on an otherwise sharp card is a faint surface wrinkle on either the front or the back.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    edited July 25, 2023 12:08PM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    This one is a charming card from a charming set. Not (even close to) high grade and here’s to not giving a frog’s fat ass!

1959 Bazooka - Willie Mays

hey 51Wheaties,
    Willie would say: Oh Wow...That's Cool... B)
    what if the frog was skinny ??? :):):)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2023 12:01PM

Dang it!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest