Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Official Thread - Sacagawea Dollars - lowballs, elusive grades, errors & different varieties

Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 14, 2023 2:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Let's see if this gets any traction. I want to meet some like minded collectors who have an odd interest of locating Sacagawea's with elusive grades. Perhaps you have a large collection of many, many coins & just happen to have a few of these laying around. I mainly collect notes, but these are the only coins I really collect.

Among other things, I like the dark patina on the circ examples, and the challenge of finding a hard to locate grade. For instance, out of 40,000+ graded by PCGS, less than 15 are graded between AG3 & VF30. Only one MS60. Only one AU 53 Wounded Eagle. Only one PR63DCAM.

Very, very narrow field of interest...But it's MY interest. And maybe yours...

Rare Nationals &
Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals

Comments

• Options
    edited June 18, 2023 7:01PM

-

Rare Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 7:12PM

Bookmarked!

I'm with you. I'll get back to you.

In the meantime..

@MWallace
    @CaptHenway

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 14, 2023 7:47PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    Bookmarked!

In the meantime..

@MWallace
    @CaptHenway

Much appreciated.
    I know I'll get some laugh reacts, but oh well. I like the challenge!

Rare Nationals &

• Options

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Bookmarked!

In the meantime..

@MWallace
    @CaptHenway

Much appreciated.

No laughs from me.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Bookmarked!

In the meantime..

@MWallace
    @CaptHenway

Much appreciated.

No laughs from me.

Excellent! Modern coins in difficult grades are very tough to find.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    edited June 15, 2023 9:01AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Bookmarked!

In the meantime..

@MWallace
    @CaptHenway

Much appreciated.

No laughs from me.

Except many of those grades are actually easy to find. The reason a VF coin seems hard is that all the VF coins are raw because they aren't worth submitting. They aren't lowball enough to have value.

And a PR65 DCAM might be elusive but only because no one submits a proof with a few hairlines or contact marks. All you need to do is gently mishandle the 69 or 70 in the set and you can make as many 65s as you want.

This is really, in my opinion, a case of putting too much stock in the grading census. There are thousands of VF to AU coins, probably millions, but no one bothers to submit them.

While I do partially agree, the same could be said for any note/coin. There may be thousands upon thousands of better dates for all coins involved that haven't been graded. My focus is solely on what's been graded, not the dollars that are currently pocket pieces, or being used in the transit system. Solely PCGS or NGC tougher grades that you can't easily come across.
    It's just my interest.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be easier to roll hunt and submit to TPG?

I'm curious to who's submitting a $1 Sacagawea in G - AU in hopes they find that one buyer to make a couple of dollars? I have the full set in MS in a Dansco but never contemplated sending them in to be certified. Not being critical just curious.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tramp said:
    Wouldn't it be easier to roll hunt and submit to TPG?

Maybe. For the one I tried to turn into an AU, if I found it in a roll I think I would expect it to grade AU because if you examine it carefully you can see “rub” on the high points. Most likely it would be easy to find a lower grade circulated one that it is obviously not MS, but then it probably won’t be the grade I was targeting which was 58

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 11:46AM

@Ted 1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Bookmarked!

In the meantime..

@MWallace
    @CaptHenway

Much appreciated.

No laughs from me.

Except many of those grades are actually easy to find. The reason a VF coin seems hard is that all the VF coins are raw because they aren't worth submitting. They aren't lowball enough to have value.

And a PR65 DCAM might be elusive but only because no one submits a proof with a few hairlines or contact marks. All you need to do is gently mishandle the 69 or 70 in the set and you can make as many 65s as you want.

This is really, in my opinion, a case of putting too much stock in the grading census. There are thousands of VF to AU coins, probably millions, but no one bothers to submit them.

While I do partially agree, the same could be said for any note/coin. There may be thousands upon thousands of better dates for all coins involved that haven't been graded. My focus is solely on what's been graded, not the dollars that are currently pocket pieces, or being used in the transit system. Solely PCGS or NGC tougher grades that you can't easily come across.
    It's just my interest.

I partially agree. I don't think the census on any coin is totally accurate. However, the percentage submitted increases with the cost of the coin.

I throw VG clad quarters in the coin star all the time. Almost no one would ever submit them for grading. The total VG8 pop for Type 2 quarters (1965 to 1998) is 1. The total pop in Vg8/10 and F12/15 is 28. I guarantee there are a million of them out there raw.

• Options

@Ted 1- Can you get any better close-up detail pictures of your coins?

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

Will do. I've been stuck with my 12 hr shifts, when I get a chance I'll send much better pics.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

Everyone is performing, now it's my turn

• Options

@Jannifer said:
    Everyone is performing, now it's my turn

Very nice! But what are we looking at?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Tramp, @jmlanzaf-

I also believe people submit common (zero value or face value) coins for personal or sentimental reasons.

I agree, but that's a little beside my point.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2023 6:27AM

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Will do. I've been stuck with my 12 hr shifts, when I get a chance I'll send much better pics.

Always loved shift work and those 12 hour days. Made the week go fast! 👍🏻

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Always loved shift work and those 12 hour days. Made the week go fast! 👍🏻

Yea, and it went so fast just look where you're at now :D
    I'm trying to slow things down a bit here watching the grass grow I'm thinking about playing in the sprinkler today and making my own rainbows :)

• Options

@Ted 1- Are you alluding to something like these? My non-professional grading skills say "maybe" FR or AG. To much meat on the dates.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Ted 1- Are you alluding to something like these? My non-professional grading skills say "maybe" FR or AG. To much meat on the dates.

The bottom coin would likely grade G6

Rare Nationals &

• Options

Ted- Not that it will happen but I'm looking for a PO-1.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Ted- Not that it will happen but I'm looking for a PO-1.

Andrew Edelman has an AG3. That is THE lowest. I asked if he wanted to sell, to no avail. But his takes the cake at the moment. He told me if he upgrades (downgrades) to a fr2, he'll sell. There is 1 G6 floating around as well.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

A 2013 quarter that would likely grade FR/PR

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

If someone wants to be my sponsor and submit a bunch of lower grade proofs... :p

From roll hunting I have about 3 rolls of various proofs, including a collection dump I ran into a couple years ago from some customer rolls :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    If someone wants to be my sponsor and submit a bunch of lower grade proofs... :p

From roll hunting I have about 3 rolls of various proofs, including a collection dump I ran into a couple years ago from some customer rolls :smiley:

How much? $?

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2023 7:11PM

Curious
    With all the handling and such why are these coins not getting a details grade? Thanks 🙏

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited June 18, 2023 7:23PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Curious
    With all the handling and such why are these coins not getting a details grade? Thanks 🙏

That's what makes a Lowball a Lowball :)) Just well worn, evenly circulated, no rim damage, no dents, etc. Just like a Lowball note.

Just a fun subset of collecting.. Here's a Good 4 from 2013 -

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn’t I just wash a note and put it under a sun lamp? Now if that’s the case and creating em is all good, then perhaps you would be interested in learning to create some error coins. Seriously, it’s a hobby. Couple coins placed between two leather straps. A hammer and my trusty anvil, few taps and a new error is created.
    But perhaps I digress 🤠

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited June 18, 2023 8:50PM

@Ted 1 said:
    A 2013 quarter that would likely grade FR/PR

Do you have better close-up pictures? That coin looks more detailed from here.

• Options

Rare Nationals &

• Options

The AG3 $1SAC is on the top row.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

You might be on to something here @Ted 1

• Options

i love that ag 3 . zero detail on the faces

Rare Nationals &

• Options

@Ted 1 said:

Never seen a CAC on a “1” so now that’s technically a 2 and worth less :)

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2023 6:05AM

I like Sacajawea dollars. All the pieces in my collection are uncs or proofs. I recently gave up a Sac, a circulated one, to make a purchase. The clerk asked me if I really wanted to spend it. I said," sure, I want to spend it." I was happy she knew it was a dollar coin, not a quarter.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Ted 1 said:

Never seen a CAC on a “1” so now that’s technically a 2 and worth less :)

• Options

@mr1931S said:
    I like Sacajawea dollars. All the pieces in my collection are uncs or proofs. I recently gave up a Sac, a circulated one, to make a purchase. The clerk asked me if I really wanted to spend it. I said," sure, I want to spend it." I was happy she knew it was a dollar coin, not a quarter.

Unless it said Quarter on it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file