Official Sacagawea Dollar Thread - LOWBALLS, ERRORS & VARIETIES

Comments

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

a bit high. i wonder who is high bid

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ted 1 said:
    VG08.

Of the 45,000 graded...

3 at this grade for all years/mints. This is the only 2000-P at this grade.

Only lower for the series are (1) G6, (1) G4 & (1) AG3.

I'll see your 2000-P VG08 and raise you a 2000-D VG08. 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s another 58 available on eBay right now in case someone is needing one

Mr_Spud

• Options

What was the final price?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

$220. I’m glad to see cooler heads prevail on this where it didn’t get even more out of control. Only thing that even remotely would make sense would be to crack it out and attempt to wear this thing down to a poor1 grade, basically for bragging rights.

I collect sacs and don’t understand any desire for this particular coin.

• Options

@1madman said:

@OAKSTAR said:

$220. I’m glad to see cooler heads prevail on this where it didn’t get even more out of control. Only thing that even remotely would make sense would be to crack it out and attempt to wear this thing down to a poor1 grade, basically for bragging rights.

There's a market for any straight graded P01, especially moderns.

• Options
    edited September 5, 2023 3:27PM

@1madman said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Bizarre grade. That's all I can think of. There's even more 8's it appears, but still a single 3 & 4
    .. $220 is a bit steep. With fees, it's $280+.

Rare Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options

The Good 4 is mine now. I hunt down the tough grades for Sac $1's. Suddenly, VG 8's are becoming more common thanks to oakstar.

Price isn't important to me.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

@Ted 1 said:
    The Good 4 is mine now. I hunt down the tough grades for Sac $1's. Suddenly, VG 8's are becoming more common thanks to oakstar.

Congrats on the G4. Post a picture of it when you can.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2023 10:37AM

@OAKSTAR said:

@Ted 1 said:

Congrats on the G4. Post a picture of it when you can.

Will do. Time to aim even lower.
    Odd how a week after I noticed it on the census and it randomly pops up. Crazy. If Edelmans AG3 pops up, the $$$ sky's the limit

Rare Nationals &

• Options

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 422 ✭✭✭✭

Is that the prisoner version of the coin and could you possibly explain how that could have happened? Awesome coin I love it.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2023 9:53PM

@Conshyboy said:

Is that the prisoner version of the coin and could you possibly explain how that could have happened? Awesome coin I love it.

Baseball and coins, love it! 😂 🤣

https://www.google.com/search?channel=fenc&client=firefox-b-1-d&q=waffled+callcled+coin#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:d26ad299,vid:FUq10HM0sQ4,st:0

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    edited September 16, 2023 7:59AM

@Kurisu - Look at you! Beautiful coins!!

• Options

• Options
    edited September 18, 2023 11:19AM

Coin in hand, cannot capture the wear on the G4. TruView is accurate with photo

So far... I've got a 4,6,8,10,20,25,35 & all the upper grades. I need a F12, F15, VF30, and , in the future, 1,2,3. Let me know if you've got a 12 or 15 to sell

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    edited September 18, 2023 2:25PM

I have a 15 for you.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    I have a 15 for you.

Name your price, and it's a deal. 🤝

Rare Nationals &

• Options

Good 4.

Best angle I could get to capture the heavy wear. Not far from the AG3 out there.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    edited September 19, 2023 6:52PM

Ted-

I've noticed something strange with these coins.. Even in-hand, when you look directly at the coin straight on/directly over the coin, you can't see the date. It looks like there is no visible date.You just can't see it. But when you tilt the coin on and away from a light source, the date appears. Have you noticed this anomaly?

• Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2023 4:02PM

EBay item 204457087954

Someone won this recently - not me. Seemed like a special strike.

• Options

@Some_of_it said:
    EBay item 204457087954

Someone won this recently - not me. Seemed like a special strike.

Post a link to it.

• Options

Here's the 3.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Here's the 3.

The one and only.

......For now

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 8:28PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    Ted-

I've noticed something strange with these coins.. Even in-hand, when you look directly at the coin straight on/directly over the coin, you can't see the date. It looks like there is no visible date.You just can't see it. But when you tilt the coin on and away from a light source, the date appears. Have you noticed this anomaly?

You are correct.. the 3 & 4 are missing most of the "Liberty" on top. Date is hardly visible, but that mintmark is STRONG. The known 3 has almost zero detail with the baby on the coin. The rim is extremely worn as well. I know a FA 2 or PO-01 is possible, just gonna take a lotta wear. There's an example out there somewhere. I prefer the darker patina on the worn grades- I love my VG10.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 8:47PM

@Ted 1 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    Ted-

You are correct.. the 3 & 4 are missing most of the "Liberty" on top. Date is hardly visible, but that mintmark is STRONG. The known 3 has almost zero detail with the baby on the coin. The rim is extremely worn as well. I know a FA 2 or PO-01 is possible, just gonna take a lotta wear. There's an example out there somewhere. I prefer the darker patina on the worn grades- I love my VG10.

@CaptHenway believes the mint mark is strong on these coins because it's close to and protected by the device. The date is much further out into the field and receives much more wear. Although I've noticed that the P mint marks seem to stand proud or much higher then the dates. Not sure how one would actually measure the height of the dates and mint marks. I've seen pictures here of those micro cameras. It seems to get down into the granular of the metal.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 9:11PM

Attractive Sac $1 PR 65 on Great Collections, I placed a bid. Nice Population# 2 coin for my collection.

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I enter the above PCGS certification number:

:|

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited September 23, 2023 11:03PM

@braddick said:
    When I enter the above PCGS certification number:

:|

What on earth. I thought it was odd it's not a dcam sac $1.. very small percentage are just pr.. but.. holy .. crap 😭

Rare Nationals &

• Options

@Ted 1 said:

@braddick said:
    When I enter the above PCGS certification numb

What on earth. I thought it was odd it's not a dcam sac $1.. very small percentage are just pr.. but.. holy .. crap 😭

• Options

Hard to tell from this picture but I would absolutely say the mint marks on these things stand proud of the dates.

• Options
    edited September 24, 2023 9:17AM

@Ted 1 - I'd say you got some checkin' to do on that slab cert. number. Let us know what you find out.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Hard to tell from this picture but I would absolutely say the mint marks on these things stand proud of the dates.

You know, you're right. Just looked at one tilted at an extreme angle from a viewpoint directly to the right of the date and the mint mark is in higher relief.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    @Ted 1 - I'd say you got some checkin' to do on that slab cert. number. Let us know what you find out.

Photo is incorrect of course, but data is all the Sacagawea I showed. Guessing some photo switcheroo by PCGS.

Rare Nationals &

• Options

Calling @rmpsrpms

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does look like the MM is higher relief than the date, but the shoulder looks even higher, so the shoulder may indeed be protecting the MM.

With my system I can measure heights with +/-10 micron accuracy or better, and/or do a 3D rendering that gives visual confirmation of the height difference. But given the above image I don't see why such lengths are needed.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options

Thanks very much @rmpsrpms!

• Options
    edited October 11, 2023 7:29PM

@Ted 1 @CaptHenway - @rmpsrpms and I have been talking off-line. I'm going to sent him a couple of raw mint state 2000-P Sacagawea dollars. This below photograph is his. He's going to work his photographic magic on the P mint marks and try and measure and see if they are actually minted higher then the dates.

• Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received the 2000-P's and shot the Date/MM area using a 5x objective. I can share a 2D shot of the Date/MM but can't seem to upload the 3D video, so here's a link to view or download it:

https://dropbox.com/scl/fi/6picpeyv3tbastgfztmqn/Video-2023-10-20_21-24-12.mp4?rlkey=ermpj6dlgwn7wfo38yncuznwv&dl=0

I also made direct measurements of the heights of the features using a 20x objective. The field is very flat in the area of the date and MM. The MM is 84um above the field, while the numerals of the date are 31um above the field. So the MM is more than 2x as high. The shoulder is 180um above the field, so would protect the MM. I guess the date is far enough away from the shoulder that it doesn't protect it much, plus it is so low above the field that any wear would quickly obliterate it.

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2023 7:25AM

That is just plan OUTSTANDING @rmpsrpms! What a difference in height between the MM and date!! That really answers a lot of questions. Thank you!

• Options

Sorry for delay folks.

Looking specifically for a F12, VF20, VF30 PCGS Sacagawea, only.

Ted

Rare Nationals &

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    FYI - I did an experiment to see if I could get a Sacajawea slabbed as AU by carrying it in my pocket for a month and making sure I rubbed it between my fingers and thumb multiple times a day for that month period. I then submitted it to PCGS and it came back as MS64. Here’s the TrueView

I was going for an AU58, but would have been happy with an AU anything. I wanted it to match the grade of my circulated Everyman Type sets.

Point is, it’s harder than you would expect to get a coin to become a targeted circulated grade.

Sounds like an indication of the Mint's product quality!

• Options
    edited December 27, 2023 4:28PM

@Ted 1 said:
    Sorry for delay folks.

Looking specifically for a F12, VF20, VF30 PCGS Sacagawea, only.

Ted

Hey Ted- PM me. I have something for you!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ted 1 said:

a bit high. i wonder who is high bid

What a prize.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file