Home Precious Metals

The case for $50+ silver

derrybderryb Posts: 36,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2023 6:57AM in Precious Metals

"Do you hear alarm bells ringing? Neither do I. And that’s a huge problem." - Simon Black

«1

Comments

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2023 1:43PM

    LOL Bulgaria hedge and the looming gutter shortage. Gutter can't even make it back to 50% of its 1980 high (non-inflation adjusted lol). Way more likely gutter will see $5 before $50. Keep dreaming. THKS!

    PS: Always funny how the only ones ever talking about this massive shortage are those trying to peddle it. Gutter is not rare nor precious, billions of above ground ounces nobody even wants. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What should be isn't . What is shouldn't be. Buy low, stack high.

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2023 2:47PM

    @blitzdude said:

    PS: Always funny how the only ones ever talking about this massive shortage are those trying to peddle it. Gutter is not rare nor precious, billions of above ground ounces nobody even wants. RGDS!

    Maybe they are smart enough to continually sell high (higher than they bought) as silver continually moves up and down (great volatility) while buying the dips. I've multiplied my stack by a ridiculous number doing so over the last two decades.

    Then there are those who buy high and then try to sell ASEs for $795 a tube and wonder why their stack is puny and they can only see it as "gutter." ;)

    "Do you hear alarm bells ringing? Neither do I. And that’s a huge problem." - Simon Black

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:

    @blitzdude said:

    PS: Always funny how the only ones ever talking about this massive shortage are those trying to peddle it. Gutter is not rare nor precious, billions of above ground ounces nobody even wants. RGDS!

    Maybe they are smart enough to continually sell high (higher than they bought) as silver continually moves up and down (great volatility) while buying the dips. I've multiplied my stack by a ridiculous number doing so over the last two decades.

    Then there are those who buy high and then try to sell ASEs for $795 a tube and wonder why their stack is puny and they can only see it as "gutter." ;)

    And there are those who choose to remain in the lost decade, soon enough you can call it the lost century. Everything is up 2x, 3x, 10x, 100x, 1000x. Everything except your gutter metal. You sank all your eggs into the wrong basket. Oh well, I guess you can call it tuition. Hopefully you learned something. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like I'm one of the few here who sees profits with the volatility. This is something I have been sharing for the last 15 years on the forum. Hopefully some have listened, obviously some have not.

    "Do you hear alarm bells ringing? Neither do I. And that’s a huge problem." - Simon Black

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2023 8:49PM

    It is not just you, derryb. While margins are way thinner than metal roofs or aluminum gutters, the coin/currency/bullion trade is about all i’ve done since 2009, when silver was $10 per oz., and gold was $900. Who can’t make it with volatility as a key component, likely can’t see high and low daily, weekly , or monthly signs. Maybe because some are stuck on past decades, centuries, and millenniums.

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 2:46AM

    @blitzdude said:
    And there are those who choose to remain in the lost decade, soon enough you can call it the lost century. Everything is up 2x, 3x, 10x, 100x, 1000x. Everything except your gutter metal. You sank all your eggs into the wrong basket. Oh well, I guess you can call it tuition. Hopefully you learned something. RGDS!

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol
    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    .

    Spikes in the price of silver are few and far between. There has only been two major spikes, ever. But you two seem to have fallen right on them. Too bad for you. Sell all your silver and buy junk bonds or retail stocks.

    .

    .

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 3:22AM

    @dcarr said:
    Sell all your silver and buy junk bonds or retail stocks.

    Why, because those have massively outperformed PMs?

    Got any specific names I should look at?

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 4:08AM

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:
    Sell all your silver and buy junk bonds or retail stocks.

    Why, because those have massively outperformed PMs?

    Got any specific names I should look at?

    For any asset "A", and any asset "B", asset "A" has outperformed "B" (or vice-versa) from one point in time to another.
    So it is meaningless to pick only one point in time for comparison.

    You should buy things like Foot Locker stock, Gap stock, Tesla stock, Chicago/Illinois bonds, etc.
    Or maybe best yet, bonds issued by Chinese retail mall companies.

    Disclaimer: I have not researched any of the above and I do not have a position in any of them and do not plan to enter into any such position.

    One thing is certain:
    Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It all boils down to the old adage... 'Buy low, sell high'.... Cheers, RickO

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I remember the narrative quite clearly - that there wasn't enough silver or gold in existence to be used as money - that was the argument that the LBJ administration used to remove silver from the coinage.

    If there's not enough silver to support its usage in coinage, there must not be enough to go around as a monetary asset. Simple, huh?

    If you don't think physical silver is a good asset to have, don't buy it. Simple again, eh?

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:
    Sell all your silver and buy junk bonds or retail stocks.

    Why, because those have massively outperformed PMs?

    Got any specific names I should look at?

    For any asset "A", and any asset "B", asset "A" has outperformed "B" (or vice-versa) from one point in time to another.
    So it is meaningless to pick only one point in time for comparison.

    When asset A consistently beats asset B, why even bother with asset B?

    So yes, it is meaningless, so why to so many PM bulls keep using dates like 1913 or 1929or1933 or 1973 or 2000 or 2008? Heck, one forum member often cites dates from the 1800s or earlier.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

    pump and dump kinda guy?

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I currently use 2023 as my reference point, knowing full well that the bankers, and particularly the Fed, JPM & GS manipulate every market that they are in.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @derryb said:
    Looks like I'm one of the few here who sees profits with the volatility. This is something I have been sharing for the last 15 years on the forum. Hopefully some have listened, obviously some have not.

    Much easier to do with the SLV. Not sure why you would waste your time paying high premiums, listing shipping the gutter etc. Click Click. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:
    Sell all your silver and buy junk bonds or retail stocks.

    Why, because those have massively outperformed PMs?

    Got any specific names I should look at?

    For any asset "A", and any asset "B", asset "A" has outperformed "B" (or vice-versa) from one point in time to another.
    So it is meaningless to pick only one point in time for comparison.

    When asset A consistently beats asset B, why even bother with asset B?

    So yes, it is meaningless, so why to so many PM bulls keep using dates like 1913 or 1929or1933 or 1973 or 2000 or 2008? Heck, one forum member often cites dates from the 1800s or earlier.

    .

    When asset "A" has outperformed asset "B" for most time periods in recent history, that can sometimes be a contrarian indicator that asset "A" is overvalued an/or asset "B" is undervalued.

    .

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:
    Sell all your silver and buy junk bonds or retail stocks.

    Why, because those have massively outperformed PMs?

    Got any specific names I should look at?

    For any asset "A", and any asset "B", asset "A" has outperformed "B" (or vice-versa) from one point in time to another.
    So it is meaningless to pick only one point in time for comparison.

    When asset A consistently beats asset B, why even bother with asset B?

    So yes, it is meaningless, so why to so many PM bulls keep using dates like 1913 or 1929or1933 or 1973 or 2000 or 2008? Heck, one forum member often cites dates from the 1800s or earlier.

    .

    When asset "A" has outperformed asset "B" for most time periods in recent history, that can sometimes be a contrarian indicator that asset "A" is overvalued an/or asset "B" is undervalued.

    .

    Or perhaps it could just mean gutter is gutter. THKS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2023 8:00PM

    Morgan $s sell for $50 often enough. They're .775 oz of gutter.
    No shortage of buyers or sellers around there. Eagles not so much.

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Thank you for the additional nonsensical statement

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Thank you for the additional nonsensical statement

    Are you another truth denier?

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Thank you for the additional nonsensical statement

    Are you another truth denier?

    You are by far the biggest "Troll" on this entire forum.

    So what if I am right in adding a comment? You plan on pointing your Kel Tec polymer

    Get Real

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Thank you for the additional nonsensical statement

    Are you another truth denier?

    You are by far the biggest "Troll" on this entire forum.

    So what if I am right in adding a comment? You plan on pointing your Kel Tec polymer

    Get Real

    Get real....that's funny.

    Your knowledge of firearms is as strong as your knowledge of..well..everything....poor.

    It ain't a Kel-Tec.

    Does my calling you out on your ignorance of firearms.make me a troll?

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 5:29AM

    $50 silver (in 1980) wasn't really what the market was saying at the time. It was a reflection of the worry that alot of people had over the economy and the debt, not to mention the publicity that the Hunts brought into the market. The market settled in the $30's at the time.

    I read reports that demand has now outstripped supply for years and that silver "reserves" are depleted as well.

    If that's really the case, it shouldn't be long until the market actually responds, except that demand will be dropping during the widely-anticipated recession.

    It will still have a fallback function as real money as things continue to change.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Does my calling you out on your ignorance of firearms.make me a troll?

    No, but your sniping and nonsensical commentary sometimes does.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 3:48PM

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The whole financial world is green today. Cripes I have stocks up north of 30% in a single session. Hard to find any red on a day like today but you can certainly count on the gutter. THKS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 1:32PM

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Thank you for the additional nonsensical statement

    Are you another truth denier?

    You are by far the biggest "Troll" on this entire forum.

    So what if I am right in adding a comment? You plan on pointing your Kel Tec polymer

    Get Real

    Get real....that's funny.

    Your knowledge of firearms is as strong as your knowledge of..well..everything....poor.

    It ain't a Kel-Tec.

    Does my calling you out on your ignorance of firearms.make me a troll?

    TROLL and don't call me out on firearms.

    It's a Kel Tec in your hands you make it look that way.

  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,170 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What's with the name calling? Are you guys trying to get yourselves banned? :#

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I think the OP was trying to pump the case for $50 gutter and @cohodk was simply pointing out that in the past 43 years it has already been there twice. The kicker is that's not even adjusting for inflation. Certainly, doesn't seem to be the "rare stable" commodity that the pumpers use to suck in fresh bunker meat. RGDS!

    The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I'd expect it to be much higher by now given all the "fundamentals" so often touted. Are the "fundamentals" just a made up narrative?

    I want it at $200 just like yall do, but all these "fundamentals" ain't much fun.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The fact is The USD buys all the Gold Silver, palladium, platinum, Rhodium , copper and any noble metal. The Dollar is worth its weight is any gold transaction.

    So who's the Dink ?

    And premiums no less.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmski52 said:
    Does my calling you out on your ignorance of firearms.make me a troll?

    No, but your sniping and nonsensical commentary sometimes does.

    It's only nonsense.if you don't understand. My comments are no different than "chickens.coming home to roost" or "emporor has no clothes". Those are also "nonsensical" unless you understand.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Thank you for the additional nonsensical statement

    Are you another truth denier?

    You are by far the biggest "Troll" on this entire forum.

    So what if I am right in adding a comment? You plan on pointing your Kel Tec polymer

    Get Real

    Get real....that's funny.

    Your knowledge of firearms is as strong as your knowledge of..well..everything....poor.

    It ain't a Kel-Tec.

    Does my calling you out on your ignorance of firearms.make me a troll?

    TROLL and don't call me out on firearms.

    It's a Kel Tec in your hands you make it look that way.

    Too late. I already did. Because as demonstrated here, you would rather double down on your lack of knowledge than try to learn and ask what it is.

    I get it though. Its better to think and blend in with the masses, right?

    And it still ain't a Kel-tec...but i do i make.it look cool. ;)

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Cohodk told on us! Play nice , okay . Double down? Can you card count? Noo, nooo , not 1,2,3,4 ....52

  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

    trolls should be ignored, not encouraged

    "Do you hear alarm bells ringing? Neither do I. And that’s a huge problem." - Simon Black

  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

    simmer down boys...

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @blitzdude said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I think the OP was trying to pump the case for $50 gutter and @cohodk was simply pointing out that in the past 43 years it has already been there twice. The kicker is that's not even adjusting for inflation. Certainly, doesn't seem to be the "rare stable" commodity that the pumpers use to suck in fresh bunker meat. RGDS!

    You two always cherry-pick the two data points when it was about $50.
    All a person has to do is avoid stepping on the two spikes. Over a long time span silver maintains purchasing power while the Dollar does not. Even cohodk admitted (reluctantly/inadvertently) that the price of silver generally keeps up with inflation.

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2023 1:21PM

    @Soldi said:
    Cohodk told on us! Play nice , okay . Double down? Can you card count? Noo, nooo , not 1,2,3,4 ....52

    I did what?

    Perhaps all should inquire with the moderator of you allegation.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2023 4:59PM

    @dcarr said:

    @blitzdude said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I think the OP was trying to pump the case for $50 gutter and @cohodk was simply pointing out that in the past 43 years it has already been there twice. The kicker is that's not even adjusting for inflation. Certainly, doesn't seem to be the "rare stable" commodity that the pumpers use to suck in fresh bunker meat. RGDS!

    You two always cherry-pick the two data points when it was about $50.
    All a person has to do is avoid stepping on the two spikes. Over a long time span silver maintains purchasing power while the Dollar does not. Even cohodk admitted (reluctantly/inadvertently) that the price of silver generally keeps up with inflation.

    No I stated that for only 20 of the last 100+ years it has held up. If that means generally to you then it's understandable why you are so confused.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sensitive egos are as volatile as the fluctuating price of silver. I did notice some companies sell gutter guard for a higher price than the gutters.

  • Mike59Mike59 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

    Buy what want!! Invest in what u want. Above all respect other’s investments Even if u don’t agree with the thing they invest in. ABOVE ALL:: Treat others the way you want to be treated.
    Mike

    MIKE B.

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2023 12:08PM

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:
    I guess you're a KISS fan. Lol

    Thanks for confirming its the same price as in 1980.

    Your right.....i should have just said it's same price (inflation adjusted) as in 1900.

    Haha

    Thanks for confirming that the price of silver keeps up with (and is a hedge against) inflation, since 1900.

    .

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @blitzdude said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I think the OP was trying to pump the case for $50 gutter and @cohodk was simply pointing out that in the past 43 years it has already been there twice. The kicker is that's not even adjusting for inflation. Certainly, doesn't seem to be the "rare stable" commodity that the pumpers use to suck in fresh bunker meat. RGDS!

    You two always cherry-pick the two data points when it was about $50.
    All a person has to do is avoid stepping on the two spikes. Over a long time span silver maintains purchasing power while the Dollar does not. Even cohodk admitted (reluctantly/inadvertently) that the price of silver generally keeps up with inflation.

    No I stated that for only 20 of the last 100+ years it has held up. If that means generally to you then it's understandable why you are so confused.

    .

    You stated that the price of silver today is the same as it was in 1900, adjusted for inflation.
    That means the price of silver has kept pace with inflation (generally stable purchasing power) since 1900.

    .

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2023 1:09PM

    @dcarr said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:
    I guess you're a KISS fan. Lol

    Thanks for confirming its the same price as in 1980.

    Your right.....i should have just said it's same price (inflation adjusted) as in 1900.

    Haha

    Thanks for confirming that the price of silver keeps up with (and is a hedge against) inflation, since 1900.

    .

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @blitzdude said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I think the OP was trying to pump the case for $50 gutter and @cohodk was simply pointing out that in the past 43 years it has already been there twice. The kicker is that's not even adjusting for inflation. Certainly, doesn't seem to be the "rare stable" commodity that the pumpers use to suck in fresh bunker meat. RGDS!

    You two always cherry-pick the two data points when it was about $50.
    All a person has to do is avoid stepping on the two spikes. Over a long time span silver maintains purchasing power while the Dollar does not. Even cohodk admitted (reluctantly/inadvertently) that the price of silver generally keeps up with inflation.

    No I stated that for only 20 of the last 100+ years it has held up. If that means generally to you then it's understandable why you are so confused.

    .

    You stated that the price of silver today is the same as it was in 1900, adjusted for inflation.
    That means the price of silver has kept pace with inflation (generally stable purchasing power) since 1900.

    .

    No, not since 1900, only if you bought in 1900. Different story if you bought in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 191o0, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924. 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935.....you get it yet?

    Use the calculator in the other thread. No need to be confused anymore. The truth is.out there.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2023 1:55PM

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:
    I guess you're a KISS fan. Lol

    Thanks for confirming its the same price as in 1980.

    Your right.....i should have just said it's same price (inflation adjusted) as in 1900.

    Haha

    Thanks for confirming that the price of silver keeps up with (and is a hedge against) inflation, since 1900.

    .

    @cohodk said:

    @dcarr said:

    @blitzdude said:

    @dcarr said:

    @cohodk said:

    @Soldi said:

    @cohodk said:
    Oh good. Back to where it was 40+ years ago. Lol

    Perhaps more time will cure its ills.

    2011 was the last time it was in the $40 - $50 range

    And January1980 was the first time.

    Most everyone here is well aware of the price history for silver.
    But you keep mentioning the the two price spikes, over and over again repeatedly (in one way or another).
    Are you expecting a different result ?

    I think the OP was trying to pump the case for $50 gutter and @cohodk was simply pointing out that in the past 43 years it has already been there twice. The kicker is that's not even adjusting for inflation. Certainly, doesn't seem to be the "rare stable" commodity that the pumpers use to suck in fresh bunker meat. RGDS!

    You two always cherry-pick the two data points when it was about $50.
    All a person has to do is avoid stepping on the two spikes. Over a long time span silver maintains purchasing power while the Dollar does not. Even cohodk admitted (reluctantly/inadvertently) that the price of silver generally keeps up with inflation.

    No I stated that for only 20 of the last 100+ years it has held up. If that means generally to you then it's understandable why you are so confused.

    .

    You stated that the price of silver today is the same as it was in 1900, adjusted for inflation.
    That means the price of silver has kept pace with inflation (generally stable purchasing power) since 1900.

    .

    No, not since 1900, only if you bought in 1900. Different story if you bought in 1901, 1902, 1903, 1904, 1905, 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 191o0, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, 1924. 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1932, 1933, 1934, 1935.....you get it yet?

    Use the calculator in the other thread. No need to be confused anymore. The truth is.out there.

    .

    Did you happen to notice that the "silver calculator" you posted in the other thread only goes back to 1968 ?
    So if you type in a date before that, such as "1901", it still truncates the report to 1968.

    So where did you get the idea that all those years you listed (every single year from 1901 to 1935 and beyond) had silver going lower in relation to inflation ?

    Here is the silver price, adjusted for inflation (in 2023 dollars), from 1915 to 2023 (the chart does not go back to 1900, only 1915):

    Suppose you bought silver in year (x) and held to today.
    According to this chart, the only years in which the inflation-adjusted price of silver was higher than today was 1974 (barely), 1978-1984, 2010-2013, and 2020-2022. So if you bought silver in any of the other 95 years (out of the last 109 years since 1915), your price would have kept up with inflation. And for many of those years, the silver price has beaten inflation.

    PS:
    Here is the interactive chart:
    https://macrotrends.net/1470/historical-silver-prices-100-year-chart

    .

  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2023 6:12AM

    I know exactly how far back the calculator goes. And anyone with a stack then would be in their mid 80s today... or dead. And maybe they broke even after inflation. What a great way to improve family wealth. LOL

    You like to use the words "if" and "suppose" quite frequently. Those words only exist in alternate realities. Facts don't care about those words.

    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

    Knowledge is the enemy of fear

  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The $50 price in 1980 is a red herring. That price didn’t hold for more than a few minutes and yet, you cherrypickers always like to hang your hats on that number.

    I bought silver & gold in 1977, 1978 and 1979, including some minicontracts on margin. I sold the minicontracts in late 1979, and I sold a lot of the physical metals in 1980 after the price blowoff and still did very well.

    I bought quite a bit of gold, silver & platinum from 2006 to 2008 and still have most of it. Coho makes it sound like you can barely keep even with precious metals but I assure you that my family wealth is significantly more than it was when I was into stocks & mutual funds. And I never needed the “help” of a “professional wealth advisor” to do it.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In 2011, the prices were too high to buy and I did some nominal selling, so when the date cherry pickers try to browbeat you with graph & charts to show you what folly it is to buy at the top, they ignore the fact that hardly anyone actually bought at the top and then held on for years and years. That’s just BS.

    I also piled into more gold & silver from 2016 to 2019 and I’m happy to say that was also a very rewarding move. I had the income then, so that was when I bought more. Sometimes, the conviction simply pays off, and so does dollar cost averaging.

    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

    I knew it would happen.
This discussion has been closed.