Home U.S. Coin Forum

ASE's from China

BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭

I see on ebay, ASE's from China at a discounted price. Example, lot of five for $135.99. That amounts to about $27.20 each. I made a purchase of one lot of five about six weeks ago and received five for I think it was around $29 each. It wasn't until after they shipped that I realized they were coming from China. I probably wouldn't have purchased them had I seen they were coming from China.

So a few questions about these. Are they real ASE's? How can they sell them at such a discounted price? They certainly look real,

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.

Comments

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly don't know, because as soon as I see China.........I delete it!!

How's your AU58 Washington quarter set doing?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭

The set is going slow. There are some dates I may have to take an uncirculated example and carry around in my pocket for a while and submit them myself, mostly the later dates.

Then there are some I come across that the price is way over what it should be.

US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

First.. and only one necessary... red flag is 'coming from China'.... Not real and likely not silver.... Cheers, RickO

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2023 6:18AM

The Chinese are known for counterfeiting ASEs. This bag of bad ASEs was on display last year at the SCNA show.

To answer your question on price, sometimes they are not even silver.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't there suppose to be a "W" above the eagles tail feather?

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭

Not only should it have a W on the reverse, but the font of “ IN GOD WE TRUST” is the wrong style.
    Definitely counterfeits.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not, repeat NOT, saying that the coin in the OP is authentic. However, the missing "W" mint mark on the reverse is not a conclusive indicator of a counterfeit.

The Proof-W and uncirculated versions of this coin have a "W" mint mark, but the bullion version of the ASE does not.

Source: https://www.usmint.gov/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2023-american-eagle-silver-one-ounce-bullion-coin-reverse.jpg

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hands and hair look different.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do a specific gravity test on them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_2vA1qO2fA

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

first thing i noticed was something wrong in the face/hand as well

@MetroD said:
    I am not, repeat NOT, saying that the coin in the OP is authentic. However, the missing "W" mint mark on the reverse is not a conclusive indicator of a counterfeit.

The Proof-W and uncirculated versions of this coin have a "W" mint mark, but the bullion version of the ASE does not.

Source: https://www.usmint.gov/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/2023-american-eagle-silver-one-ounce-bullion-coin-reverse.jpg

I don't follow these much anymore, but wouldn't the bullion ase's not have a W on the obverse also?

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@MetroD said:

I don't follow these much anymore, but wouldn't the bullion ase's not have a W on the obverse also?

That isn't a W on the obverse, it's an AW monogram: designer's initials.

@MarkKelley said:

That isn't a W on the obverse, it's an AW monogram: designer's initials.

Duh, I didn't notice that. Had to look closer. Lol

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most things from China.....

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• AndyKAndyK Posts: 58 ✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2023 8:52PM

Counterfeits everywhere...I just had this "silver proof" delivered today from an ebay purchase. Seller had hundreds of sales with 100% rating and shipped from US.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

FAKE

Given there is a ready market for Monster Boxes of ASEs, there is no possible reason they would be broken out, placed in "air-tight" type capsules, and sold in bulk from outside the US.

Oh, and even the authorized purchasers for the bullion ASEs pay the mint over spot.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you spot the fake?

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better pics
    I save these just to help educate folks

• MWKMWK Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The chances of getting anything genuine from China are about equal to the chances of me winning the Boston Marathon on my walker!

China is such a dishonest counterparty that "Made in China" might not even be true. Ptui!

As for the OP's coin, it looks like a counterfeit to me and I'm not very skilled in detecting counterfeits. The boundary between Liberty's face and outstretched hand against the background looks like there was some sort of extrusion effect or something. It should be a very sharp transition. Also, Liberty's right foot (the one behind her) looks too big.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big nose Kate ASE.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2023 3:36PM

@Bikingnut said:
    I see on ebay, ASE's from China at a discounted price. Example, lot of five for $135.99. That amounts to about $27.20 each. I made a purchase of one lot of five about six weeks ago and received five for I think it was around $29 each. It wasn't until after they shipped that I realized they were coming from China. I probably wouldn't have purchased them had I seen they were coming from China.

So a few questions about these. Are they real ASE's? How can they sell them at such a discounted price? They certainly look real,

@gtstang said:
    Hands and hair look different.

Definitely NOT a US Mint product. The reason they were "cheap" is because they are not made of solid silver (only plated).

Look at the lines in the flag, around the stars, just in front of Liberty's face and neck. They are much coarser than the US Mint product.

And look at how crude the skirt lines are at the bottom (on the Chinese edition).

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes - the left one is fake, look at the feet.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2023 3:58PM

Why would anyone even consider buying a coin $ 27.50 when the going rate is close to $40.00? As the saying goes, if it's to good to be true...etc. etc. BTW The same coins can be had from Ali express for less than $2.00 a pop. All non Chinese coins from China, most likely are fake. Great video on fake ASE's from China

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT8zAmPGI5I

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I paid some tuition last year when I thought I found a good price on an 1890-CC Morgan and didn’t notice that it shipped from China. When the coin (finally) arrived, there were 2 of them in the package (buy one get one free?) but they had “S” mint marks and stuck to my magnet.
    Ouch.
    My lesson: only buy from North America or a reputable dealer elsewhere.
    Maybe you can still get a return or refund. Ask soon/fast. There is no Santa Claus in numismatics.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file