Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pure Technologies <> Utilizing Computer Vision + Machine Learning for Natural & Artificial Toning

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts on trying to correlate your scoring system to the marketplace? Toned coins are difficult to value and being able to say a particular coin is in line with real transactions in a price range may be helpful. One problem with this would be that the number of data points for recent, verifiable transactions for a particular date and type is much lower than the number of toned coin pictures available.

• Options
    treybenedicttreybenedict Posts: 373 ✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    Any thoughts on trying to correlate your scoring system to the marketplace? Toned coins are difficult to value and being able to say a particular coin is in line with real transactions in a price range may be helpful. One problem with this would be that the number of data points for recent, verifiable transactions for a particular date and type is much lower than the number of toned coin pictures available.

Coming soon ;)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you get around to doing nickels let me know😉

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much of the value is associated with the type of toning, specific colors, amount of coverage, how it plays with the luster (that True Views frequently do not capture due to the hot lights) and how many examples of nice toners exist for a particular date/mm...not to mention the demand at any given moment between bidders, not to mention the grade. Way too many variables in my opinion.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    So much of the value is associated with the type of toning, specific colors, amount of coverage, how it plays with the luster (that True Views frequently do not capture due to the hot lights) and how many examples of nice toners exist for a particular date/mm...not to mention the demand at any given moment between bidders, not to mention the grade. Way too many variables in my opinion.

Lots of factors for sure. My initial goal was just to quantify toning, and then slowly chip away at the rest of the mysteries involved with coin pricing and eye appeal. Uphill battle but having fun taking it on.

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

@treybenedict Would you be able to run the group I posted earlier when you get the chance? They’re AT and would be a good test.

• Options

@Rexford said:
    One potential issue could be that if the program is pulling its AT/NT determination from graded coins, it relies on coins graded as NT by PCGS actually being NT and those graded as AT actually being AT. There are undoubtedly many silver eagles in straight-graded PCGS holders that are AT, for instance. However, it seems to be doing a pretty good job.

I would be interested to see the results on AT coins with less intense colors.

Here are these results. I actually believe that the ASE is naturally toned. It was placed in one of those crinkle-wrapper shipping containers for quite some time. I've handled and seen these straight grade. The others, not so hot.

• Options

@Rexford said:
    @treybenedict Would you be able to run the group I posted earlier when you get the chance? They’re AT and would be a good test.

Furthermore, I think it's interesting to look at the graphs for AT/QC coins versus NT. They are drastically different and usually display a weird color mush. This is the toning progression happening pixel by pixel. The ASE forms the "E" which we talked about previous in the forum posts.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rexford the ASE looks NT to me. It looks like it was stored inside a corrugated cardboard self sealing package.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

Curious to see how my other dimes do. Also wondering if the new 46 S pic will register differently. I see a new too much Orange detected on @rexford coins, so now Im wondering how my 48 D will turn out. It looks NT to me , but is extremely orange.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Curious to see how my other dimes do. Also wondering if the new 46 S pic will register differently. I see a new too much Orange detected on @rexford coins, so now Im wondering how my 48 D will turn out. It looks NT to me , but is extremely orange.

This only gets triggered when specific colors are detected. It has been implemented for a couple of days.

• Options

@crazyhounddog said:
    When you get around to doing nickels let me know😉

I think the scale should work fairly well. I ran a similarly toned buff and it came out in the 60’s range.

I’ll run these in the morning!

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@treybenedict said:

@david3142 said:
    Alright, let’s see if we can break the scale:

Totally Nuclear! Amazing coin. I think this is the highest rating so far in the thread for a US coin. There was a proof earlier that received a 69, and the example Morgan rated 70. Nonetheless, stellar!

So this is a naturally toned coin?

• Options

@johnny010 said:

@treybenedict said:

@david3142 said:
    Alright, let’s see if we can break the scale:

Totally Nuclear! Amazing coin. I think this is the highest rating so far in the thread for a US coin. There was a proof earlier that received a 69, and the example Morgan rated 70. Nonetheless, stellar!

So this is a naturally toned coin?

According to the analysis yes. It seems on par with ASE’s from that era. I’ve had a couple like that. Cardboard, Velvet etc can make it tone wildly on both sides.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand somewhat, and the kid inside me leads me with many questions.
    Here's one that has been on my mind as it's crucial in my research.
    "Can this app see progression or show stability over time in a proper container ?"
    Reason being is, stability is a very crucial quest.
    No hurry as it seems your following is at it's peak.
    I'm easy .
    TKS

• Options

@Elcontador said:
    I like the concept, Trey. Keep at it. Am not quite sure how this would fit in between the TPGs and CAC, but I like the idea of an algorithm comparing color progression to that of a person.

I'm just throwing this out there, because if it's on my mind too long, I want it deleted.
    "Could this be the next chapter in a book, with CAC being the previous chapter ?
    Holy algorithm, Bubba !!!!!!!!!
    What a quawinkeedink. (coincidence)

• Options

Looks like we wore Trey out.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Looks like we wore Trey out.

Good morning. I’m on PST, we also worked the weekend here in Berkeley. There’s a couple more I forgot to do and will have them up today likely.

• Options

I'm on the east coast. Been up for 8 hours already.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m anxious to see a web version or app version to play with so we don’t have to bug Trey. ;)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2023 2:58PM

Interesting thread and topic.

Here are more coins for you to work your magic on.

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    I’m anxious to see a web version or app version to play with so we don’t have to bug Trey. ;)

Working on this today/tmr so we don't have to flood the thread anymore. Pausing all submissions until then, but keep the chats coming :)

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, just found this cool thread! And I actually own that end roll toned 1884-O Morgan in the original post. When you get a chance, can you run a scan on my icon coin below? I have plenty of other toners if you want to run your program on them.

• Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Wow, just found this cool thread! And I actually own that end roll toned 1884-O Morgan in the original post. When you get a chance, can you run a scan on my icon coin below? I have plenty of other toners if you want to run your program on them.

Awesome! That 84-O is the highest-scored coin to date. The colors are amazing.

I'll run this for you after we deploy our public preview website. ~1 day ish from now.

• Options

Request: Can the community post some Rainbow Toned Pre-33 Gold?

Training the model to be adaptive to gold coins as well and want to test.

• Options

I don't have any gold. I don't think I have ever seen rainbow toned gold coins before.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@treybenedict said:
    Request: Can the community post some Rainbow Toned Pre-33 Gold?

Training the model to be adaptive to gold coins as well and want to test.

Not even close to rainbow but it’s got some gold discoloration if you want to run it.

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

No offense but I’ll trust my eye over this algorithm all day long. I like the concept of computer aided coin grading for wear and pmd but not this concept.

• Options

@chesterb His program seems to be working very well.

• Options

@treybenedict said:

@keyman64 said:

Working on this today/tmr so we don't have to flood the thread anymore. Pausing all submissions until then, but keep the chats coming :)

No worries,
    Your not on a clock here. I am kindda in that spot, I have to post this tonight according to google. My files turn into pumpkins
    after 24 hours. I love it because I always carry a stick.
    No tech. worries. When you can. I'm trying something which "could" help both of us.
    This coin was found in pocket change. I think the large spot on the reverse is the suspect (?) being solid, compared to the obverse pastel style of color. I have a few with that exact mix. (Color).
    In the byepolar book it's 320 I think...? maybe 420 ?...anyway I would like to compare both mix's.
    This will be the first of three coins.

No hurry, Bubba
    Cool !

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder what this would get on the BW scale? Probably on the edge of RickO approved :D .

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@emeraldATV said:

@treybenedict said:

@keyman64 said:

No worries,
    Your not on a clock here. I am kindda in that spot, I have to post this tonight according to google. My files turn into pumpkins
    after 24 hours. I love it because I always carry a stick.
    No tech. worries. When you can. I'm trying something which "could" help both of us.
    This coin was found in pocket change. I think the large spot on the reverse is the suspect (?) being solid, compared to the obverse pastel style of color. I have a few with that exact mix. (Color).
    In the byepolar book it's 320 I think...? maybe 420 ?...anyway I would like to compare both mix's.
    This will be the first of three coins.

No hurry, Bubba
    Cool !

This is likely corrosion rather than toning. I'm sure a version of this CV script can be used to decipher "problem coins" as well.

• Options

Also, update for everyone:

Demo website and a special surprise coming early next week. I wanted to save the demo website in conjunction with another release. Some already may have heard what is coming soon :) Building until then so I'll be a bit quiet.

• Options

If you feeling like running the dimes i posted that would be great. Dying to see how the 62, and 55 S do. Also the 48 D because it is so orange.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one got flagged as Questionable Color on my most recent sub. I wonder what your screening tool thinks.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@neildrobertson said:
    This one got flagged as Questionable Color on my most recent sub. I wonder what your screening tool thinks.

Did this one real quick because the graph interested me. Notice how it is atypical from others in the thread (no color progression on HSV). Agree with our hosts here.

• Options

Coin #2 of 3, might fit the same theory, but here she is.
    Green Eye Lady....

• Options

Enhanced photos.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could easily be PVC again.
    Was the coin stored in a soft flip?

• Options

@yosclimber said:
    Could easily be PVC again.
    Was the coin stored in a soft flip?

If your asking me ? Found in Pocket change as is.
    Go figure ?

• Options

@coinsarefun said:

Super nice. Added to the training set. Still working away hard over here.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Here are some that you can try when you have time.

E for Excellent. :)

• Options

Yes I love the E

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a bit like a histogram color breakout in photography applied to coins.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this is interesting work but would expect it to meet quite a bit of resistance. The topic of tone, AT, QC, and NT is very subjective and when the results from this system start to question the color I'd foresee collectors being quite upset. Some in this thread have already expressed as much.

• Options

I noticed that now there is orange in the RGB

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I noticed that now there is orange in the RGB

• Options

Does the orange change the values of any of the coin previously run thru?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file