Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1817 O-105 Capped Bust Half Dollar - Cherrypick

Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

Was able to cherrypick this lovely CBH recently! Looks to be an intermediate die state between the O-105' and O-105, the tiniest die crack stretches through star 9. Some light graffiti throughout which is a shame, but the surfaces are fantastic and original, and a tough R6 to boot!

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

Comments

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find! Intermediate die states are neat because they tell a story of how the dies deteriorated. AMBPR has the obverse crack without reverse cracks as an R-6+.

Unfortunate for the graffiti but the crusty surfaces win it over for me! That reverse has a textbook appearance.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see the crack (which would make it an even more amazing find - R7?), but that's a heck of a find no matter.

Out in the wild? Where'd you find it if you don't mind me asking?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty I cherrypicked it on eBay! I will also attach a photo taken through a loupe that shows the die crack.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Davidk7 .... Great magnified picture of the die crack.... Neat find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always liked the die progression on the 1817-105. Here's a post I did a while ago concerning it.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1067074/die-states-for-1817-bust-half#latest
    Sadly I still don't have the prime. I know where one is for sale but he wants too much, IMO.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

I love 1817 halves...probably in my top 3 favorite years, actually. This marriage is usually ID'ed at a glance in the usual die state. Yours is cool...not prime, but still rare this early.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Love the capped bust halves. Nice pick-up!

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@opportunity said:
    I love 1817 halves...probably in my top 3 favorite years, actually. This marriage is usually ID'ed at a glance in the usual die state. Yours is cool...not prime, but still rare this early.

Agreed, 1817 is a cool year for halves and cents.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the skin on that sucker! Nice cherrypick.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file