Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Error Slab??

SaamSaam Posts: 462 ✭✭✭

Just found this on eBay. If this is something PCGS just came out with, I don't like it. Not only does the red lettering look cheap, the letter "N" being backwards doesn't help!

s-l1600.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I like it, either.

I wonder if it was a special label for a mass marketer.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 8:10AM

I looked up the cert to see if they had any other information.
    Nope, but came across this 1999 sold for wild money (WOW) Even the auction estimate was $25.
    Wonder what someone was thinking on this one @ $138,000 :o
    https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1999-1c-rd/3154/-292940569741668263/1

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    I looked up the cert to see if they had any other information.
    Nope, but came across this 1999 sold for wild money (WOW) Even the auction estimate was $25.
    Wonder what someone was thinking on this one @ $138,000 :o
    https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1999-1c-rd/3154/-292940569741668263/1

Where do you see on Heritage’s website that the auction estimate was $25?

This coin has a four paragraph lot description. Heritage doesn’t write 4 paragraphs for a $25 coin ;) .

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just adding unique marking, sales gimmick... Label collectors will grab some ... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

pass (to fishy)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not new. I've seen that weird red MINT ERROR before. The reverse N is the hook. Anyone know if that label is a special request label font thing? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

In addition to the "N" being reversed, the second "R" in "ERROR" has what I assume is a die break through its legs and the "OR" or "ERROR" appears to be on a different plane or angle as the rest of the lettering. It's strange.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if it matters, but the PCGS label doesn't match the physical holder. In the lower left is the NFC chip symbol which only started appearing after PCGS switched over the blue-white gradient labels.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks fake to me

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 10:13AM

I am betting that the red lettering is a label that was added after it was holdered by PCGS. You can have just about any label created by a small label machine or sticker/label firm. The hand held one I have will print on clear label material. That accounts for what @TomB is seeing, the label got bunched up in that spot creating a fold. If viewed at a sharper angle I suspect that the edge of the label would be easily seen.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The link provided above brings you to a unique coin thats probably worth more than 138K. Nothing like the OP coin that's probably not even worth the slabbing cost.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 11:04AM
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2023 12:11PM

@coinbuf said:
    I am betting that the red lettering is a label that was added after it was holdered by PCGS. You can have just about any label created by a small label machine or sticker/label firm. The hand held one I have will print on clear label material. That accounts for what @TomB is seeing, the label got bunched up in that spot creating a fold. If viewed at a sharper angle I suspect that the edge of the label would be easily seen.

Could be, but based on the space above the other printing on the label, I'd guess it was all printed together.

Also, the "broken" half of the word ERROR is surely an intended part of the design. It's an error, after all. ;)

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never seen it, so don't blame me !

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fleaBay reverse picture shows the RFID logo. There is also an earlier example of that label with the QR code reverse. With the shadow bar, it's pretty clear that this is printed on the PCGS label.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204352912820

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175728304174

Most likely this is an optional label for bulk submissions...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file