Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What grade do you give this ICG MS61 1857 Small Date Large Cent?

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭



She is weakly struck but I see little evidence of actual circulation. I give her AU58. What say you?

Comments

  • Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭

    au50

  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I grade it 58, but I’m a little more liberal than PCGS.

    Successful BST transactions with 177 members. breakdown, scotty1419, mattniss, bigjpst, onlyroosies, Manorcourtman, guitarwes, Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It looks weakly struck. Hard to tell from the pics but I would guess high end AU or low end MS. The grade ICG assigned is not unreasonable.

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50

  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU 53

  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2023 8:21PM

    MS61

    Investor
  • Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2023 8:05PM

    @Walkerguy21D said:
    I grade it 58, but I’m a little more liberal than PCGS.

    so is I Can’t Grade :o (ICG).

  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My guess is 55... That being said, perhaps what I see as wear is weak strike. Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks like a very nice 58.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like it as a 58. Do not know if a weak strike or a partially grease filled die causing a lack of the complete strike features may be the reason for the incomplete strike on the upper obverse only. Not sure what PCGS might grade regarding the marks in front of the nose.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

    53 to me, maybe 55.

  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The coins of this series that I've seen, the only weakly struck coin is the 1855, which almost always has mushy dentils. The leaf on the reverse below the TE in States has wear. This is a high point of the reverse.

    The top of the hair, the LI in Liberty and top of the hair also have wear. Have never seen one of this date look like this. I'd say a low to mid range AU. A 55 max.

    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU-55 was my first impression.

    "But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I really don't see any wear perse... the top of the crown looks really weakly struck. There might be a little rub on the lower hair curls but I could see an AU58... EAC grade maybe 50-55 because of the strike.

    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

    Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Not sure if strike or wear on hair curls. AU-58 to MS-61 ( I think strike, so likely MS-61)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file