Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2023 W ASE available from the mint today, 5/25/23

Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

It's available at 12 noon, Eastern Time Price, $76, HHL 10, unlimited mintage.

I think I'll pass.

Anyone buying?

Comments

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in for the usual. Given how insane bullion premiums are nowadays, these are the greatest relative bargains they have been in a long time, if ever.

An ASE version with a mintage in the hundreds of thousands instead of tens of millions is selling at a mere 50% premium. It's expensive expressed in terms of bullion value, but when you consider that the bullion itself sells for a 100% premium, it's not a terrible deal at all, considering packaging, distribution costs, and the relatively tiny mintages.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver at $76 an ounce….. I’ll pass

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I dialed my enrollment back to zero. Just a congratulations set and a couple S proofs.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's an MS70 First Strike graded by PCGS going to be worth in a year or two?

There are 2022-W ASE's in SP70FS selling for under $100 on eBay.

$76 + $17 grading +$18 First Strike + S&H both ways = $$$

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have decided to leave all the profit from Mint products on the table for you guys. I hope you make a fortune.

Until I have the old stuff I want, I can't think about the new stuff.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think these things are pretty, and I don't care if, when my kids sell them, they get less than I paid for them. I'm in.

:)

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I am buying. I have subscriptions for the two proofs and the uncirculated ASE. The subscriptions are fantastic. No more fighting with the flippers and their bots on release day!

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

yes, and there's a significant possibility that any coins submitted grade less than MS 70. Probably better to wait and buy them in the secondary market in the desired grade.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

Both Pinehusrt and CoinAdvisor are selling the Burnished 2023-W PCGS First Strike SP70 for $108.99. Why would anyone pay more to get them directly from the mint. See above calculations.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard Pass

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

Is the proof at $80 a bargain or is the uncirculated overpriced?

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    Is the proof at $80 a bargain or is the uncirculated overpriced?

Neither

• Options

They make hundreds of thousands of the proofs and the burnished has had some very low mintages 130,000 to 150,000 and sell for cost, slabbed. I’ve researched the heck out of the burnished ase and low mintage ain’t helping these. A genuine mint mark doesn’t help. I’m truly confused but not fooled. With that said just watch these be a hot😂

• Options
    edited May 26, 2023 4:35AM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    They make hundreds of thousands of the proofs and the burnished has had some very low mintages 130,000 to 150,000 and sell for cost, slabbed. I’ve researched the heck out of the burnished ase and low mintage ain’t helping these. A genuine mint mark doesn’t help. I’m truly confused but not fooled. With that said just watch these be a hot😂

Aren't all of the W uncirculated ASEs burnished? No mintage limit for those.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Greater than 100k mintage for a ho-hummer design that comes back year after year after year with all being saved in higher mint state grades.
    What' not to love? LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@Goldbully said:

Both Pinehusrt and CoinAdvisor are selling the Burnished 2023-W PCGS First Strike SP70 for $108.99. Why would anyone pay more to get them directly from the mint. See above calculations.

Agree. I pre-ordered mine in April. No reason to buy from the Mint if you collect PCGS 70's in most cases these days. It also takes way too long and is risky to get things graded as an individual submitter.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just get 'special' one's from the Mint... have not seen any coming up. Prices will not be going down... at least not in the foreseeable future.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

No Eagles this year. Saving for the Gold tree

• Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I was going to get this one for type as I already have a Type-2 Proof and Unc. Then the Mint had some more 2022 for sell and I got that instead. I saved $9.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeDoubleddie said:

Excited for the tree.

• Options

@Project Numismatics said:

@MikeDoubleddie said:

Excited for the tree.

Yes, the tree (American Liberty) is a real winner. One of the best designs I’ve seen in a long time. Looking forward to getting one (I hope).

• Options

Can’t do the gold but the silver tree will do 😁

• Options

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    Can’t do the gold but the silver tree will do 😁

Agreed. If I do buy the gold, I need to cut back on my British gold purchases. That country is going nuts with all the coronation coins, but understandably so. I purchased several silver and a couple small gold coins.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2023 7:17AM

I’m actually considering getting a couple I really like the design and I hope they continue with the lovely custom case. Last year was really very nice packaging wise and I really liked that design also. Thanks 🙏

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot I had a subscription for 10 of them. Showed up at the POB this morning. Unlike in the past, I will probably just put them raw in the Mint packaging in my cases at Long Beach and sell with a modest markup. Took too many baths getting them slabbed with First Strike tags and gold shields. Even if they all came back as 70, just cannot compete against the bulk guys with their lower cost bases.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered one and it arrived within a week of release date and looks good. It will stay with its' original packaging as always.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

Why would anyone pay more to get them directly from the mint.

@erscolo said:

It will stay with its' original packaging as always.

Some collectors like to keep their coins raw. Slabs are nice protectors and proof of grade/quality, but having the raw original ungraded coin can be satisfying. Yes, I know it's getting expensive...but what isn't? Has anyone checked the price of eggs lately???

• Options

@Onastone said:

@djm said:

Why would anyone pay more to get them directly from the mint.

@erscolo said:

It will stay with its' original packaging as always.

Some collectors like to keep their coins raw. Slabs are nice protectors and proof of grade/quality, but having the raw original ungraded coin can be satisfying. Yes, I know it's getting expensive...but what isn't? Has anyone checked the price of eggs lately???

Exactly! When I buy an expensive coin, I care about resale value, so I always buy expensive coins already certified.

But these things aren't expensive, so I am not concerned about resale. I think they're very pretty, and I like looking at them in their original packaging much more than in a slab.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file