Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kennedy half dollar grading

NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Hi all - I have subbed cards to PSA hundreds of times but know next to nothing about coins. I have several coins I have done a little research on. Could you possibly steer me in the right direction and let me know if something like this is worth grading?

Thanks so much in advance.

Nikklos

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely no

• NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭

Ok thanks. Is it just the condition or is the coin itself undesirable?

Nikklos
  • WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

No on the grading,
    From what I can see, there is a lot of wear on the raised, rim edge.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:
    Hi all - I have subbed cards to PSA hundreds of times but know next to nothing about coins. I have several coins I have done a little research on. Could you possibly steer me in the right direction and let me know if something like this is worth grading?

Thanks so much in advance.

Over 300 million minted, with a high survival rate.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1971-d-50c/6717

Ah ok this is all very helpful.

Nikklos
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1971-P is worth taking a slight risk on GEM+ coins, yet the 71-D really isn't. It has to be MS67 to make it totally worth it.

peacockcoins

Ok I will check for 1971 Ps but doubt I have GEMs if that term denotes what it does for cards

Nikklos
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos said:
    Ok thanks. Is it just the condition or is the coin itself undesirable?

The coin needs a soak in acetone to remove the hazing and get a good look at the luster. It is not well struck and you can see how the bottom of the "7" fades into the fields. This will usually preclude a very high grade.

If the coin is very clean (no marking) it might still be worth submission but this is very unlikely.

Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of these have doubling on the "TRUST" but it still must grade pretty high to submit.

The demand for modern coins is very very tiny and most of the tiny demand is for only the highest grades. Lots of rare moderns aren't worth the cost of submission.

Tempus fugit.

Thanks so much. I am learning a lot!

Nikklos
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikklos ... Welcome to coin collecting. I suggest you get a Redbook if you intend to continue in coins. It is a super reference book on all U.S. coins, grades and values. Cheers, RickO

Thanks I will!

Nikklos

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file