Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any auction wins from the sales this week?

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one coin… this MS64 Peru Standing Liberty 8R, ex Lissner. The pictures suck but the luster is very strong and the originality is clear. Very few 65’s for the type and most are later dates. I thought it was great value and a type I needed.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    I bought one coin… this MS64 Peru Standing Liberty 8R, ex Lissner. The pictures suck but the luster is very strong and the originality is clear. Very few 65’s for the type and most are later dates. I thought it was great value and a type I needed.

I was the underbidder and stopped not because of the price ( I thought it a good value as well )

I am trying to control my coin addiction .

I already had bought the French 5 francs 1815 PCGS 65

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great pieces. Nothing for me so far although I have my eye on a couple at the end of the month. Also bought a few escudos privately that I’m excited to show when they arrive.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

I was the underbidder and stopped not because of the price ( I thought it a good value as well )

I already had bought the French 5 francs 1815 PCGS 65

Glad you liked it as well

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope, trying to put together some money for a couple coins I got on hold. 😊

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

OMG! The bottom will fall out of the high-end market. :D

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 7:21PM

Nope. Lost by one bid after posting a more than fair bid. I **hate ** auctions. :/

I will pay more via private treaty that I might pay in an auction. That might sound illogical, but there are very few fair deals, let alone “bargains”, in auctions. Auctions stink.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2023 7:44PM

@BillJones said:
    Nope. Lost by one bid after posting a more than fair bid. I **hate ** auctions. :/

I will pay more via private treaty that I might pay in an auction. That might sound illogical, but there are very few fair deals, let alone “bargains”, in auctions. Auctions stink.

I've participated in well over 5000 auctions over the past 45 years, and I've had pretty good success with it.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

No... :'(

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not much to look at but now the earliest coin in my collection.

• Options
    RSPRSP Posts: 64 ✭✭

I liked the CAR 8 escudo as well. I'm glad to hear you bought it, Andy.
    I like to think of the graffiti as a plus sign and therefore much more desirable than an X.
    Good price too!
    RSP

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I hesitated to buy it because of the small X carved into the reverse, but I ended up pulling the trigger. With only half a dozen or so known and some very pretty color, I was willing to compromise if the price was right. And, as it turns out, it sold at a very reasonable level.

Great looking coin congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

Gen AU+ I like it 😂

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

I've participated in well over 5000 auctions over the past 45 years, and I've had pretty good success with it.

I have felt like I have overpaid almost every time. I can count on one hand where I got "a bargain" over the last 25 years. You obviously bid in far more auctions than I do. It seems like every time I bid, the prices go crazy.

Dealers do better in auctions because they are open to buying a wider range of items. If one lot or group of lots is too expensive they can pass and move on to the next area. Most collectors are focused on one or a few things. If it goes badly they are often out or end up over paying.

Some have said that you buy items in Stacks' sales and sell them in Heritage sales. Maybe that is true.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bids were like a Kurt Vonnegut book

Slaughterhouse Five. :'(

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2023 1:17PM

Or "I Got Slaughtered 500 Times"

Seriously... auctions are all about who participates... who sees the coins in hand and who does not. Auctions produce a result that is impossible to predict unless one has a reasonable idea as to the participants.

I like auctions and I am pleased with what I have been able to acquire... Have there been some disappointments? There have been but life is full of disappointments... and one moves on.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

Dealers do better in auctions because they are open to buying a wider range of items. If one lot or group of lots is too expensive they can pass and move on to the next area. Most collectors are focused on one or a few things. If it goes badly they are often out or end up over paying.

There’s certainly some truth to that, especially if you judge auction purchases by their immediate resale value. But the flip side of that is that some of the best “buy and hold” purchases are made by savvy collectors who are willing to overpay for a truly special coin, because those are the coins that have the best chance to appreciate dramatically in the long run.

I have not been very savvy over the last decade. A large number of the coins I bought in auctions have not held their value let alone made money. I have done as well and sometimes better with material I have bought from dealers at shows.

The big auctions have superior marketing which results in higher prices. For truly rare superb pieces, the big auctions are by far the best venue to buy and sell. For the next tier, which is where I am, it’s a real contest as to which is better, the auctions or the knowledgeable dealers.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

There’s certainly some truth to that, especially if you judge auction purchases by their immediate resale value. But the flip side of that is that some of the best “buy and hold” purchases are made by savvy collectors who are willing to overpay for a truly special coin, because those are the coins that have the best chance to appreciate dramatically in the long run.

I have not been very savvy over the last decade. A large number of the coins I bought in auctions have not held their value let alone made money. I have done as well and sometimes better with material I have bought from dealers at shows.

The big auctions have superior marketing which results in higher prices. For truly rare superb pieces, the big auctions are by far the best venue to buy and sell. For the next tier, which is where I am, it’s a real contest as to which is better, the auctions or the knowledgeable dealers.

Of course you're savvy. But like you said, you're at the "next tier", and not buying what I called "truly special coins", i.e., nearly irreplaceable coins.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

Of course you're savvy. But like you said, you're at the "next tier", and not buying what I called "truly special coins", i.e., nearly irreplaceable coins.

So how many of us buy six figure or more coins on a regular basis? I have done it twice. According to the Grey Sheet, I am 50-50 on that score. According to the Grey Sheet, my 1796 No Stars quarter eagle is a winner, but it’s in an NGC holder, so perhaps not. The 1808 quarter eagle is under water.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2023 5:24PM

@BillJones said:

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

@MrEureka said:

@BillJones said:

So how many of us buy six figure or more coins on a regular basis? I have done it twice. According to the Grey Sheet, I am 50-50 on that score. According to the Grey Sheet, my 1796 No Stars quarter eagle is a winner, but it’s in an NGC holder, so perhaps not. The 1808 quarter eagle is under water.

"Truly special coins" exist in every price range. Like I said, they just have to be "nearly irreplaceable", for one reason or another. On the other hand, many five and six figure coins are completely ordinary, for what they are. (Some might refer to them as "widgets".)

Andy Lustig

• Options

You’re “next tier” in my book Bill.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how many of us buy six figure or more coins on a regular basis?

I could do it, but I'd have to carry the price out to three decimal places ;)

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

{147}8 Ortug from Sweden. I get to check a box. Over the years I've lost
    out on 6 pieces. Some better, some not. On the nice ones I've bid 5X estimate
    and have been left in the dust. This is an acceptable piece, but I hope to
    upgrade one day.