Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have grading standards tightened??

Hello. As a self proclaimed horrible grader I am always watching unboxing videos to try to guess the grades received. Over the last few months the results (right or wrong) seem to be much tighter. Does anyone have any personal experiences to share?

Comments

• Options

I read an interesting article about PCGS using AI so I believe their grading will become more consistent than it normally would be. What I mean by that is with the combination of the human eye and AI not much should get missed. It will be kind of like facial recognition. If there is any downside to that my thinking tells me the crackout game will change I suppose. However, conservation to a newly slabbed coin may result in a different grade. For example PL to DMPL on a Morgan.
    Here is a link to the discussion that I also found on this forum-

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1042609/pcgs-launches-ai-powered-coin-grading-technology

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 12:13PM

@Watchtower said:
    I read an interesting article about PCGS using AI so I believe their grading will become more consistent than it normally would be. What I mean by that is with the combination of the human eye and AI not much should get missed. It will be kind of like facial recognition. If there is any downside to that my thinking tells me the crackout game will change I suppose. However, conservation to a newly slabbed coin may result in a different grade. For example PL to DMPL on a Morgan.
    Here is a link to the discussion that I also found on this forum-

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1042609/pcgs-launches-ai-powered-coin-grading-technology

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that technology to be implemented into grading. That thread you linked is from 2020 and the initial press release was in 2018.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 30, 2023 1:15PM

I thought it was already in use with Gold Shield being implemented at the time of the announcement. Many years have passed so those systems have been learning for a very long time by technology standards. That's if it has been in place.
    You guys would know better than me but I figured it did pertain to the question asked.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS tried to use computers a while back for grading if I recall correctly. They did not implement it then, but given all the photos they are taking of coins I NEVER requested imagining - and that they have been doing photos for years, I think they have the largest coin photo database to implement it now. Costly, yes, but so are 6 figure salaries for graders. But to answer the original question, I feel they are getting "better" and not tighter. And that may have something to do with the experience of the new graders that were hired during covid. As in, they are more experienced now.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    PCGS tried to use computers a while back for grading if I recall correctly. They did not implement it then, but given all the photos they are taking of coins I NEVER requested imagining - and that they have been doing photos for years, I think they have the largest coin photo database to implement it now. Costly, yes, but so are 6 figure salaries for graders. But to answer the original question, I feel they are getting "better" and not tighter. And that may have something to do with the experience of the new graders that were hired during covid. As in, they are more experienced now.

WS

“a while back” was decades ago - 1990, in fact.

See here: https://www.coingrading.com/compgrade1.html

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

No-

Subjectivity is and always will be a moving target

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I think other questions to consider should be:

Do grading standards actually tighten (or loosen) or are they less objective than desired?

Do grading standards tighten (or loosen) or does the application of grading standards differ on a coin-by-coin basis?

How would one know whether grading standards have actually changed or if grading is simply inconsistent?

Words of wisdom.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I havent noticed, Recent PCGS and NGC submissions came back where I expected. If anything, I graded a coin or two a bit more conservative, but thats becuase I'm old school.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 10:17PM

No

I do keep a copy of the PCGs grading standards handy for reference.

It’s individual people who grade coins not some hive intelligence.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2023 11:30PM

Yes

A few years ago, I noticed boundaries between 35/40 and 40/45 seated halves had shifted downward for perhaps a year but was "tightened" up to where I think it should be. Here's some anecdotal evidence that represents the tightening of standards that I perceived a few years back. This EF45 CAC coin was liberated from its holder by the USPS in what I call the "Immaculate Compression." Amazingly, there was absolutely no damage to the coin from the holder being crushed. The coin is now properly regraded IMO as EF40 CAC.

Barber halves seemed to go through a similar conservative shift in the boundary for VG10/F12 and F15/VF20 in the past few years as well, IMO.

The standards may not have changed but they weren't being applied uniformly through time.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many valid factors to consider when theorizing about grading results. The points made by @MFeld and information presented by @winesteven certainly are factors. Also, as has been pointed out by myself and others, there are no documented, measurable standards to assess repeatability/consistency. Much of consistency change theory is simply perception, based on extremely small samples. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    Yes

A few years ago, I noticed boundaries between 35/40 and 40/45 seated halves had shifted downward for perhaps a year but was "tightened" up to where I think it should be. Here's some anecdotal evidence that represents the tightening of standards that I perceived a few years back. This EF45 CAC coin was liberated from its holder by the USPS in what I call the "Immaculate Compression." Amazingly, there was absolutely no damage to the coin from the holder being crushed. The coin is now properly regraded IMO as EF40 CAC.

Barber halves seemed to go through a similar conservative shift in the boundary for VG10/F12 and F15/VF20 in the past few years as well, IMO.

The standards may not have changed but they weren't being applied uniformly through time.

@Barberian said:
    Yes

Immaculate compression! Love it.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file