Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do think about this cancelled/defaced die?

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2023 3:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This was an impulse buy for me today at a small local show. I do collect Washington Quarters so it fits that theme nicely. I had to go with my gut as I could not quickly find any recent sales of something similar.

Most of these I see are completely obliterated. I assume something can be gleaned from the serial number?

As you can see it's a 1968-S which makes it a proof die. You also partially see the RTY in in LIBERTY as well as the hair queue and lower portion of the bust.

I am aware of the 'X' on modern gold commemorative dies and 19th century dies but is it common to have this much detail intact on this type of older die?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious as to how common was die cancellation by torch, at the US mint? Seems haphazard to me, compared to a nice big X by grinder, chisel or similar.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very unusual to have that much detail. @FredWeinberg might be able to say how unusual.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup, not very knowledgeable on this topic though.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice having some details left on a used die but it is in no shape to be stamping "Error" coins - :)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

exceptional example. Most of these dies with “puddled” or “torched” cancellations don’t have that much detail. 1968 is the most common year for these dies. The bottom for your die should have some file markings on it, since it looks like this die was actually used, based on the sides of the die.

From what i’ve heard, the “S” in the serial number indicates that it is from a San Francisco coin. And the “P” means that it is a proof.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen one of these with that much detail and.or a full date and mint mark. Perhaps this was one of the first ones cancelled and they had not yet set standards for how much damage had to be done to it. Nice find!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example.

As I recall the story, the 1968S dies were sold for scrap (perhaps others were, as well) and they were recovered by someone at the scrap yard. Some had a little detail remaining and a few were like yours with lots of detail.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a pretty large number of canceled 1968-S Proof coin dies that got into collectors’ hands. Many of them were melted to nothing, but a few, like this one have quite a bit of detail. I have a pair of nickel dies and the collar. The obverse die shows “68” in the date and the mint mark.

This quarter die has my die beat. It was quite a find. Congratulations!

Northeast Numismatics had a large hoard of these dies. I sold quite a few of them when I was a dealer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really cool! Never saw one with that much detail.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be wild to see a coin struck wit this die..

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    It would be wild to see a coin struck wit this die..

I have seen counterfeit errors made by taking a normal coin and pressing the unmutilated part of a Proof die into it. You can always tell.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Nice having some details left on a used die but it is in no shape to be stamping "Error" coins - :)

It could be, if used to apply a second strike (80% or more off-center) on a genuine 1968-S quarter.
    There is a similar torched nickel die out there that was utilized to apply false secondary off-center strikes on 1968-era nickels.

One way to identify these is that the maker did not have a corresponding reverse die to use.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting acquisition.... If I saw one at a show, I probably would buy it....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat pickup. First one I've seen with that much detail too.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

In the few days since, I've learned quite a bit more about these.
    I see that these 1968 S torched dies are fairly common and it does appear that this much detail is not common.
    Looking back I see many posts and stories about @FredWeinberg and his exploits obtaining, storing, etc. right up to NGC offering to certify them.
    I also saw a great, intact Lincoln token die owned by @BillJones

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options

@MWallace Outstanding letter.
    Thank you for showing that.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is at least one die known not to have received any canceling. Oops!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a 1968-S Proof nickel die.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file