Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Thoughts on a 1936-D toned buff ..

nexlevelnmxnexlevelnmx Posts: 335 ✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2023 11:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

(Acquired last month and it was from an album) I believe it is very original

The photos could show the color more but isnt this a cutie !

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to judge from those photos. Color looks off in them. Might be a beautiful toner, but need better pics. Try the coin flat with better light.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited April 28, 2023 12:07PM

Flat facing front

• Options
    edited April 28, 2023 12:10PM

Sorry the photos are small it kinda takes up speed to upload these big pics but hope that helps

I believe it is original, it is the lighting that gives it that color but it is somewhat more subdue based on what you see on last pic. Still great for toned lovers who love these colors but I do think it is original. It looks awesome when you hold it under light

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

The coin looks nice when viewed through the toning, but the toning itself looks wrong. Unless the coin had been under my supervision for the last 50 years, I would never believe it's original.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AT (artificially toned).

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have this listed on eBay right now with. $400 BIN

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That nickel appears to have been artificially tarnished.... Not even close to a natural progression. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited April 29, 2023 7:18AM

Well, if that's true, paying what I paid doesnt seem so bad. I still think in hand it looks like it's natural i really lit it under the angle however it looks natural in regular situation

• Options
    edited April 29, 2023 7:31AM

Thanks for your comments guys
    I'll probably do something with it later but I totally got it this way, thinking it looks naturally over time progressed, and believe me it isnt that bright in real life. I really happen to like how it looks and the colors do not distract or yell Artificial when I look at it under a normal lighting setup without any tilting or angulation to either side of the obverse or reverse

I happen to really like it but I do want it to be in a holder, or I just wont like it anymore.

In hand it does not look AT

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call that coin AT but that isn't to say that some interesting items don't make it into PCGS over graded holders, even when they have a long scratch from chin to rim. And the coin sold for MOON MONEY. I was merely a watcher of the auction lot, no interest in it.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/buffalo-nickels/1938-d-5c-ms67-pcgs-pcgs-population-2479-51-and-251-3-ngc-census-3430-58-and-285-5-cdn-125-whsle-bid-for-ngc/a/63191-44022.s

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@ad4400 said:

Just messing with it because eventually I will sell it if it ever grades, if not I will lower it quite a lot

• Options

@ricko said:
    That nickel appears to have been artificially tarnished.... Not even close to a natural progression. Cheers, RickO

Thanks

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT in my humble opinion.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nexlevelnmx said:

@ad4400 said:

Just messing with it because eventually I will sell it if it ever grades, if not I will lower it quite a lot

I don’t understand what eventually selling it “if it ever grades”, has to do with listing it now, ungraded. And if you’d “lower it quite a lot”, if it doesn’t grade, why you’d list it at the current price. Sorry, but to me, as is, the listing gives the appearance of looking for a big score.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited April 29, 2023 8:55AM

Have a great day and I love it

• Options

just answered

Wont know unless it is graded other wise I will just keep

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights