Home Precious Metals
Options

The Case For $5,000 Gold

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2024 5:35PM

Re: @ $5,000 Au, almost half way there. :smile: RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2024 3:02PM

$5K gold is not far off and will be but a temporary high that will continue to be taken out as long as the money printers are in charge. Gold and silver are where the smart money is going.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

Those are interesting charts but they don't explain gold's action TODAY.....the Jefferies Report goes into the many factors affecting gold demand like this:

• Options
    Peter89Peter89 Posts: 66 ✭✭

@derryb said:
    $5K gold is not far off and will be but a temporary high that will continue to be taken out as long as the money printers are in charge. Gold and silver are where the smart money is going.

As long as the gold price depends on global demand, probably we should consider not only US money supply but global money supply.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys try to make it all so complicated. Just follow the yen down the yellow brick road.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Peter89Peter89 Posts: 66 ✭✭

A case for $25k gold :)

• Options

Any attempt to forecast gold to domestic or international monetary aggregates, M2, M3, M5 Multitronic Enterprise computer, etc....are futile. There are DOZENS of ratios and relationships involving gold, most of which can be brought up on a Bloomberg within seconds. At any given time, a few track gold and accurately forecast the price moves for a few months -- until they don't. :D

Gold will ultimately move based on supply and demand.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2024 7:02AM

And the global currency debasement initiative by central banks.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    And the global currency debasement initiative by central banks.

Means NOTHING if people don't see rampant inflation or debasment of the currency. Which we haven't seen for many currencies.

• Options

Means NOTHING if people don't see rampant inflation or debasment of the currency. Which we haven't seen for many currencies.

That's a matter of opinion. There's alot of skepticism about inflation reporting, and that leads to interest in buying gold.

Clearly, the central banks know very well the effects of their debasement on monetary aggregates and that is why they have been loading up on gold. They aren't doing it for their health.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Clearly, the central banks know very well the effects of their debasement on monetary aggregates and that is why >they have been loading up on gold. They aren't doing it for their health.

A central banker's performance won't matter if he has "X" in gold or "X + 50%" in gold. At the margins, just like there was selling in the 1990's, there is buying today.

It's a positive for the gold price, that is for sure.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@jmski52 said:
    Clearly, the central banks know very well the effects of their debasement on monetary aggregates and that is why >they have been loading up on gold. They aren't doing it for their health.

At the margins, just like there was selling in the 1990's, there is buying today.

I was a buyer in the 90's and I'm still a buyer in the 20's. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

I haven't bought any gold in around 3 years. Happy when it goes up, but no big deal... So few central banks are actually accumulating. Basically, just China, Poland and Singapore.

• Options

@RobM said:
    I haven't bought any gold in around 3 years. Happy when it goes up, but no big deal... So few central banks are actually accumulating. Basically, just China, Poland and Singapore.

But new central banks -- Africa -- will be accumulating even small amounts. Look at the rise in Indian buying over the decades that I have posted before.

It all adds up if there is no boost in supply from gold mines or CB selling.

• Options

.> @GoldFinger1969 said:

Any attempt to forecast gold to domestic or international monetary aggregates, M2, M3, M5 Multitronic Enterprise computer, etc....are futile. There are DOZENS of ratios and relationships involving gold, most of which can be brought up on a Bloomberg within seconds. At any given time, a few track gold and accurately forecast the price moves for a few months -- until they don't. :D

And that supply and demand will move based on faith in the native currency.

• Options
    pmbugpmbug Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 8:50AM

@RobM said:

FWIW:

Gopaul noted that all six of the central banks which increased their gold reserves by one tonne or more in January have been regular buyers.

https://www.kitco.com/news/article/2024-03-06/central-banks-go-gold-january-pointing-third-straight-year-strong-demand

Yelling at clouds on pmbug.com

• Options

_ But new central banks -- Africa -- will be accumulating even small amounts. Look at the rise in Indian buying over the decades that I have posted before._

But, but…………haven’t you been telling us that CB buying of x +50% in gold is inconsequential and hasn’t coho been saying that other countries are still loading up on US debt because the dollar is “strong” in spite of being unloaded by many of the BRICs?

How does THAT work?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

L

@pmbug said:

@RobM said:

FWIW:

Gopaul noted that all six of the central banks which increased their gold reserves by one tonne or more in January have been regular buyers.

https://www.kitco.com/news/article/2024-03-06/central-banks-go-gold-january-pointing-third-straight-year-strong-demand

True. But the demand from Indian and Chinese private citizens is a huge portion of overall gold demand. If I own more gold than all but the wealthier Indian or Chinese citizen, I probably have enough gold. I'm not sure if it helps to accumulate beyond some reasonable level. Same for crypto. At least for most people.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    But new central banks -- Africa -- will be accumulating even small amounts. Look at the rise in Indian buying over >the decades that I have posted before._
    It all adds up if there is no boost in supply from gold mines or CB selling._
    But, but…………haven’t you been telling us that CB buying of x +50% in gold is inconsequential and hasn’t coho been >saying that other countries are still loading up on US debt because the dollar is “strong” in spite of being unloaded >by many of the BRICs?
    How does THAT work?

It works this way: OECD CB buying has been largely minimal, relative to past years. So net-net, it's not a big factor. The BIG change was 22 years ago when the OECD CB's went from net SELLERS to net BUYERS. Now, you add more buying (small) from established CBs....emerging market CBs....frontier market CB's....it adds up.

Probably another 500-1,000 tons per year by 2026.

This move in gold has not been led by ETF retail or institutional demand.

• Options

@jmski52 said:
    _ But new central banks -- Africa -- will be accumulating even small amounts. Look at the rise in Indian buying over the decades that I have posted before._

But, but…………haven’t you been telling us that CB buying of x +50% in gold is inconsequential and hasn’t coho been saying that other countries are still loading up on US debt because the dollar is “strong” in spite of being unloaded by many of the BRICs?

How does THAT work?

How it works is that you actually look at facts rather than made up political talking points designed to control and manipulate via fear, loathing and contempt.

• Options

LOL, government supplied data. "Liars figure and figures lie."

And my food cost me 2.2% more over the last year according to the U.S. Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). LOL, LOL

• Options

The BRICs are having 200 organizational meetings prior to their next big conference in October. Unfortunately for us, the complete mismanagement of our finances leaves us completely vulnerable for anything that comes out of the BRICs.

I don’t see alot of buying of Treasuries from BRICs countries in this report. I do see a drop in the total that is being partly offset by buying from the Fed’s Cayman Islands account. (You know - that huge economy in Cayman that supports $318 billion in Treasuries holdings, pfffft - gimme a break.)

We know that the Treasury and Fed have already gone opaque about spending and “The Budget”, so why would this report have any credibility?

Being an apologist for this chicanery isn’t a good look.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@derryb said:
    And my food cost me 2.2% more over the last year according to the U.S. Labor Department's Bureau of Labor >Statistics (BLS). LOL, LOL

If you disagree with their hedontical measurements, tell us why they are wrong.

Yes, you might experience different inflation. But their numbers are what they say they are.

• Options

@derryb said:

And my food cost me 2.2% more over the last year according to the U.S. Labor Department's Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). LOL, LOL

Prune juice and Metamucil up that much?

• Options

.> @jmski52 said:

The BRICs are having 200 organizational meetings prior to their next big conference in October. Unfortunately for us, the complete mismanagement of our finances leaves us completely vulnerable for anything that comes out of the BRICs.

I don’t see alot of buying of Treasuries from BRICs countries in this report. I do see a drop in the total that is being partly offset by buying from the Fed’s Cayman Islands account. (You know - that huge economy in Cayman that supports $318 billion in Treasuries holdings, pfffft - gimme a break.)

We know that the Treasury and Fed have already gone opaque about spending and “The Budget”, so why would this report have any credibility?

Being an apologist for this chicanery isn’t a good look.

You stated the Brics have "unloaded". I provided facts that show Brazil, India, and Saudi Arabia had increased hildings over the last year.

Kinda sad if you think folk apologize for stating facts. What a terrible state of American psyche "they" have created.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:
    And my food cost me 2.2% more over the last year according to the U.S. Labor Department's Bureau of Labor >Statistics (BLS). LOL, LOL

Yes, you might experience different inflation. But their numbers are what they say they are.

If it ain't from Russia, it ain't the truth!!!

Lol

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 4:56PM

You stated the Brics have "unloaded". I provided facts that show Brazil, India, and Saudi Arabia had increased hildings over the last year.

We are talking about the BRICs, correct? If you ignore both China and Russia, you are misrepresenting the whole data set. Is this how you advise your clients?

China + India + Brazil + Saudi:

Now: $1.355 trillion

Year Ago: $1,448 trillion

Net Treasuries Sold, Past Year, BRICs: $93 Billion (not counting Russia, for some reason). However, I think we can safely assume that Russia hasn’t bought any Treasuries this past year.

Based on YOUR “facts”.

6.4% decrease in holdings in the past year, and the BRICs haven’t even coalesced yet.

If you want to debate, at least take a look at the data that you yourself have provided.

My psyche is just fine. And yours?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2024 1:14PM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

then why do they periodically change their formula (liars figure)? Always gives better numbers (figures lie), that's why. LOL

Those in the real world knows it takes more dollars than DOL tells us it does.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 1:33PM

Lot of people likely own the same ounce of synthetic gold. There's only one owner for real gold.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 2:09PM

@jmski52 said:

We are talking about the BRICs, correct? If you ignore both China and Russia, you are misrepresenting the whole data set. Is this how you advise your clients?

China + India + Brazil + Saudi:

Now: $1.355 trillion

Year Ago: $1,448 trillion

Net Treasuries Sold, Past Year, BRICs: $93 Billion (not counting Russia, for some reason). However, I think we can safely assume that Russia hasn’t bought any Treasuries this past year.

Based on YOUR “facts”.

6.4% decrease in holdings in the past year, and the BRICs haven’t even coalesced yet.

If you want to debate, at least take a look at the data that you yourself have provided.

My psyche is just fine. And yours?

Then say China is selling....as certainly the Brics are not. And why has China sold some holdings?...cuz their economy is failing and they need the dough. Also their trade surplus with the USA is down $100 billion over the last year, so haven't bought more treasuries because they have less to invest.

India increased Treasury holdings by 1.7%.
    Brazil increased holdings by 5.8%
    Saudi increased by 14.9%.

What would be totally awesome is if China would sell all their holdings. US investors would gobble them up in a heartbeat, then all of your ilk wouldn't be able to spread mal-opinion that "China owns us".

Do you make investment decisions based on whether or not the Brics will ever be anything?

My psyche is better than yours, but why you ask?

• Options

Nice try at obfuscation, but no cigar!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2024 2:11PM

@jmski52 said:
    Nice try at obfuscation, but no cigar!

Dang facts got in the way for your narrative again. Sheesh!!

Heres some.more facts...

https://apnews.com/article/iran-currency-rial-record-low-economy-2c59af5dfa9bbbb9e5286352e2899cf5

• Options

$2,362...up another $13. High of $2,384.

BARRON'S had Louise Yamada, a technical analyst since the 1970's who focuses on gold and PMs, with some bullish quotes. Looks for $2,500-$2,600 this year.