Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Am I understanding correctly?

I have over 40 Registry Sets with most of them being football autographed sets. I have over 20 cards that I'd like to get graded to add to these sets. These cards are all either PSA or PSA/DNA slabbed autographed cards. To get these previously slabbed cards graded I would need to send them to PSA at the $55 Crossover level where they would just need to have the cards graded. Or I guess I can break these cards out of the slabs and send them to PSA under the card & autograph dual service for $25 per card where they would have to re-authenticate and then grade the cards. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem like it makes very much sense. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like you would be gambling on cards not passing auto verification if you crack and submit.
    PSA makes a lot of decisions that I don't understand.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

Hmmm, pretty sure it is NOT a crossover, as that specifically involves sending them a graded card from a different grading company....

I'd probably email info@psacard for clarification, but if you are only adding a grade for the card and NOT a grade for the signature, then it wouldn't really be a dual grade submission, but you can't just send them under card grade as you have to click the boxes about the autograph, and you wouldn't want to take a chance that they come back with a card grade but the auto info removed (though technically they wouldn't do that for non factory autos anyways). It's possible that there is a paper form for what you want to do as I know people have done this with the "trading card" PSA/DNA subbed cards.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve added card grade to cards that were just “authentic” and customer service told me at the time that it was a crossover.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Yes unfortunately this is the correct reading of the current pricing. If a card is in a blue flip or red flip with “trading card” designation that is a crossover and 55 min pricing. Card graded authentic with a auto grade is also a crossover or review to get a number grade on it. Agree that it doesn’t make much sense.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huggyface
    @danc1209

It isn’t hard to understand, really, if you think about it logically. It’s significantly more time, work and especially risk for PSA to crack out the card for you as opposed to when a card arrives raw in Newport Beach.

The bottom line is always the bottom line.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 300 ✭✭

Thank for the input and confirmation. 1951 Wheaties, since PSA removes cards from PSA slabs everyday as part of their Reholder Service I don't think there would be any risk to them popping out a card and grading it. I know there are other who would pay the $25 card & autograph dual service fee to get this done.

• Options

@Huggyface said:
    Thank for the input and confirmation. 1951 Wheaties, since PSA removes cards from PSA slabs everyday as part of their Reholder Service I don't think there would be any risk to them popping out a card and grading it. I know there are other who would pay the $25 card & autograph dual service fee to get this done.

I was only hoping to provide reason and context for the price disparity, not support.

To clarify, I would think PSA’s core business is slabbing raw cards. If you imagine the pizza tracker literally as an assembly line, anything that takes the process away from the line is going to end up increasing costs. Whatever their cost is is X. The work and time it takes to get the card out of the slab, into a sleeve and into process as a raw card - at the front end - is going to end up as X+, one way or the other.

As for risk, you may be right and I agree they handle them often and 99% of the time, there’s no issues. However if you read these boards you’ll find a few accounts of people who had cards damaged in the process of removal or reholdering. When PSA makes them whole, that’s a transaction that goes from profit to a loss (and a potentially significant one depending on the card) so I would think that would likely get accounted for in the price per card, too.

Hope it helps

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

One more thing…

…you can use pricing to steer away business you don’t want at that time.

I would like to submit some 5x7 sized items to PSA for a few of my sets. Pre shutdown it was $20 and reopened at $150 and has remained there. Will they grade 5x7s? Yes. But you better really want it at that price. Cards are back down around $20…why not 5x7 items?

Because for now, they don’t want to grade these items as part of their business model and I’m guessing it relates to them wanting to devote time and manpower resources to crank out the cards instead.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    One more thing…

I would like to submit some 5x7 sized items to PSA for a few of my sets. Pre shutdown it was $20 and reopened at $150 and has remained there. Will they grade 5x7s? Yes. But you better really want it at that price. Cards are back down around $20…why not 5x7 items?

Because for now, they don’t want to grade these items as part of their business model and I’m guessing it relates to them wanting to devote time and manpower resources to crank out the cards instead.

Do you happen to know if BGS upcharges for grading oversized? I couldn't find info on their site and haven't heard back from their support. I have a bunch of oversized and oddball, and I'm ok paying $16 if I can include them in Beckett's Collector's Special, by I'm not paying $75-150 PSA wants.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    One more thing…

Do you happen to know if BGS upcharges for grading oversized? I couldn't find info on their site and haven't heard back from their support. I have a bunch of oversized and oddball, and I'm ok paying $16 if I can include them in Beckett's Collector's Special, by I'm not paying $75-150 PSA wants.

I don’t. Not a Beckett guy.

• Options
    OneDaysRideOneDaysRide Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

I sent the following email to info@psacard.com on November 12, 2022:

'I have 48 PSA authenticated autographed cards that are labeled as generic ‘trading cards’. Is there a process for me to resubmit them for card grading, while maintaining their existing authenticated autograph status on the new label?'

While I never received an email response, in a follow up phone call, they told me to submit for grading under the $18-at-the-time-special, and indicate in the notes of the submission to maintain the previous authenticated status of the auto. Perhaps things have changed.

• Options
    HuggyfaceHuggyface Posts: 300 ✭✭

@OneDaysRide said:
    I sent the following email to info@psacard.com on November 12, 2022:

'I have 48 PSA authenticated autographed cards that are labeled as generic ‘trading cards’. Is there a process for me to resubmit them for card grading, while maintaining their existing authenticated autograph status on the new label?'

While I never received an email response, in a follow up phone call, they told me to submit for grading under the $18-at-the-time-special, and indicate in the notes of the submission to maintain the previous authenticated status of the auto. Perhaps things have changed.

That's interesting that a PSA Rep said they could be submitted at the $18 level. It seems that there is no answer to what seems like a straightforward question. I was wondering if @AFLfan knows or could provide any clarity on the process to get grades added to previously authenticated PSA autographed cards? Thanks for all of the comments.