Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question about the Search function

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you do a search for anything do the results appear in any particular chronological order, either by date the thread was started or the date of the most recent posting in any one of the threads?

Is there any way to filter the results either way?

Thank you

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never noticed a way to place the results in a specific chronological order. However, if you go to the advanced search feature you can stipulate a date window and the results shown will only be from that window. Of course, I do not believe that is what you are looking for. Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2023 10:05AM

Excellent question and helpful answer! I, too, have been frustrated by this. There might be an easier way to do this, but I go to the search feature and hit "Go," then I just hit the arrow down feature to bring up the detailed input.

Tom

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always received the thread from the initial post. Then go to the page I’m looking for. Usually the last post.

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was frustrated with the search function here a long time ago... Usually just use internet search functions.... Often one of the first few listed responses is from this coin forum. Cheers, RickO

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I made a thread about this very thing a couple months back, and was enlightened by some of the other forum members who recommended just using google and adding "collectors universe" at the end. I have never found the forum search feature to be particularly helpful, as you say the results are seldom relevant.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure wish I could do a search within just the discussions listed in my profile, and/or my comments in all threads, so I don't have to wade through search hits that are comments about baseball cards.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you do a search, there is a down arrow at the right side of your entry.

hit it and you get options... the only one I use is 1 year from today, as I do not care about 2004 stuff

you might be able to filter out stuff

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

next level of refinement is "CaptHenway" in quotes. you get pages with your handle, pages that quote you and posts from people talking about you behind your back

https://www.google.com/search?q="CaptHenway"+site:forums.collectors.com

further refinement: the posts are dated with full month in text and then there's the year

https://www.google.com/search?q="CaptHenway"+site:forums.collectors.com+june+2023+22+cent

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    I sure wish I could do a search within just the discussions listed in my profile, and/or my comments in all threads, so I don't have to wade through search hits that are comments about baseball cards.

Hello, the below screen shot shows a couple of things that can be done with the Advanced search.
    Author - start typing the author name (without the @) and then can select to the one you want.
    Category - select the down arrow and then can select for the choices. In this case US Coin Forum

Of course you can add at the top a search word or phrase and a date range at the bottom.

The search shown below returned almost 2000 results for CapHenway.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, but I must be doing something wrong. The Author name I type in keeps going away.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it can look like that and will go away if not the same.
    Here are some screen shots.
    First one with capth typed in and the autocorrect showing. The CaptHenway is there but with white letters.
    Second one I canceled the autocorrect to better show the CaptHenway.
    Third I clicked on the white letter CaptHenway which changes color when I put the mouse over that line.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file