Home Sports Talk
Options

2023 NBA playoffs will be starting soon.

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw the Morant injury - after that LA took control late in the game. Saw AD hold his arm and say "Can't move my arm" then he's back playing great in the 2nd half. Didn't know about Giannis - guess that's why Miami is up by 12 with 5 minutes to play.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@espn_macmahon
    "Ja Morant says his status for Game 2 is “in jeopardy.” He was downtrodden and not even able to use his right hand to undo a balled-up pair of socks. “Feels like it’s one thing after another.”

@espn_macmahon
    “He’s in some pain,” Taylor Jenkins said of Ja Morant. The Grizzlies’ medical staff is evaluating Morant’s hand and wrist. He was already dealing with an injury to that hand.
    X-rays on Ja Morant were negative."

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Some big names with some serious injuries today...
    Ja Morant with a hand injury that Xrays came back negative.
    Tyler Herro with a break in his shooting hand.
    Giannis driving to the hoop and falling flat on his back. Sat out the rest of their game with a lower back contusion.

Anthony Davis came out of his game with an arm injury in the first half looking like it was serious. Starts the second half then falls and hurt his hand on the landing but stayed in and finished with a monster game. The Lakers looked really good beating the Griz,if AD stays healthy not many teams will want to play them,imo.

They call AD "street clothes" for a reason. But we've all seen how good he is when available and focussed. Lakers looked like a new team down the stretch and looked poised to make noise.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

And also........even though not a major name
    Tyler Herro goes down.......but not a factor in the Heat's game 1 win

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:
    Ja Morant with a hand injury that Xrays came back negative.
    Tyler Herro with a break in his shooting hand.
    Giannis driving to the hoop and falling flat on his back. Sat out the rest of their game with a lower back contusion.

Anthony Davis came out of his game with an arm injury in the first half looking like it was serious. Starts the second half then falls and hurt his hand on the landing but stayed in and finished with a monster game. The Lakers looked really good beating the Griz,if AD stays healthy not many teams will want to play them,imo.

They call AD "street clothes" for a reason. But we've all seen how good he is when available and focussed. Lakers looked like a new team down the stretch and looked poised to make noise.

Even with all of the injury drama AD had during this game he still was phenomenal on D with 7blk/3stl. They'll go as far as he can stay healthy.> @Steven59 said:

@espn_macmahon
    "Ja Morant says his status for Game 2 is “in jeopardy.” He was downtrodden and not even able to use his right hand to undo a balled-up pair of socks. “Feels like it’s one thing after another.”

@espn_macmahon
    “He’s in some pain,” Taylor Jenkins said of Ja Morant. The Grizzlies’ medical staff is evaluating Morant’s hand and wrist. He was already dealing with an injury to that hand.
    X-rays on Ja Morant were negative."

I honestly think that even if he was healthy the Lakers were going to give them alot of trouble but if he's going to miss time,not looking good for Memphis.

Bucks go down 0-1,i'll be curious to see how long Giannis will be down. If he's out for multiple games I still think their roster can compete with Miami,especially if Herro is gone for the series.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

And also........even though not a major name
    Tyler Herro goes down.......but not a factor in the Heat's game 1 win

He's important to Miami because he's one of their main scorers/outside threats but man is always hurt. He missed a bunch of games last postseason especially in the ECF vs Boston when the Heat coul;d have used him.

That Cavs/Knicks game was the one game I missed so far,did the Cavs play bad? That was likely the most evenly matched opponents in the round one,imo. I could see it going either way.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    They call AD "street clothes" for a reason.

Thems be some 'spensive" street clothes - :D
    2022-23 : $37,980,720

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Street Clothes because most games when you see him,he's at the end of the bench in street clothes. He kind of reminds me of an NBA version of Rob Gronkowski,when AD is actually healthy and plays he's a legit force to be reckoned with. If he can make it through a 60-70 game season he'd be both an MVP/DPOY finalists.
    I can say that I'm glad that he's missing so many games for the Lakers though. 😎

• Options
    edited April 16, 2023 5:54PM

@erikthredd said:

did the Cavs play bad? That was likely the most evenly matched opponents in the round one,imo. I could see it going either way.

The bench was non existant - I think all the bench scored a total of 14 points. Starter Mobley only put in 8 on 3 of 14.
    Tonight Kevin Love got 18 points and 8 rebounds for Miami. Cavs sure as hell could have used that.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

did the Cavs play bad? That was likely the most evenly matched opponents in the round one,imo. I could see it going either way.

The bench was non existant - I think all the bench scored a total of 14 points. Mobley only put in 8 on 3 of 14.
    Tonight Kevin Love got 18 points and 8 rebounds for Miami. Cavs sure as hell could have used that.

Love could have definitely helped. I did read some Cavs fans comment on another site that were complaining that Mitchell took a ton of 4th quarter shots while Garland didn't have a one. It looks like Mitchell had a great game w/38pts-8ass but if he makes them one dimensional they're much easier to beat.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Street Clothes because most games when you see him,he's at the end of the bench in street clothes. He kind of reminds me of an NBA version of Rob Gronkowski,when AD is actually healthy and plays he's a legit force to be reckoned with. If he can make it through a 60-70 game season he'd be both an MVP/DPOY finalists.
    I can say that I'm glad that he's missing so many games for the Lakers though. 😎

I agree that a 60 plus games played season for AD should have him in the running every year. He's that good and really just a freak in a way like you said comparing him to Gronk. He has to put it together on a team that wins as much as Gronk did. But he teamed up with LeBron and made it happen already, and this years Lakers look/looked like a real threat.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I agree that a 60 plus games played season for AD should have him in the running every year. He's that good and really just a freak in a way like you said comparing him to Gronk. He has to put it together on a team that wins as much as Gronk did. But he teamed up with LeBron and made it happen already, and this years Lakers look/looked like a real threat.

Not gonna lie,I'd love to see a Boston/Lakers finals this year. We'd have homecourt and it would give Tatum,Brown,Smart & Horford a chance to finally get past Lebron in the playoffs. Long way to go before any of that is possible though.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Steven59 said:

@thisistheshow said:

Not gonna lie,I'd love to see a Boston/Lakers finals this year. We'd have homecourt and it would give Tatum,Brown,Smart & Horford a chance to finally get past Lebron in the playoffs. Long way to go before any of that is possible though.

Dream scenario...if...👍👍🍀🏀

• Options

@erikthredd said:

I did read some Cavs fans comment on another site that were complaining that Mitchell took a ton of 4th quarter shots while Garland didn't have a one.

Yeah, I feel Mitchell has affected Garland's game. Don't give me the crap that they have to learn to play together it's been all season and they don't mesh very well. Last night Mitchell: 14 of 30/ 6 of 16 from 3, Garland 7 of 13/ 2 of 4 from 3.

OH NO - We have a "CHUCKER" on the Cavs - LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSxfi5mb4k&t=3s

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

I did read some Cavs fans comment on another site that were complaining that Mitchell took a ton of 4th quarter shots while Garland didn't have a one.

Yeah, I feel Mitchell has affected Garland's game. Don't give me the crap that they have to learn to play together it's been all season and they don't mesh very well. Last night Mitchell: 14 of 30/ 6 of 16 from 3, Garland 7 of 13/ 2 of 4 from 3.

OH NO - We have a "CHUCKER" on the Cavs - LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFSxfi5mb4k&t=3s

Then that falls on coach JB to get others involved. Its hard though, Tatum & Brown have figured out how to play where they both get their attempts in but it took awhile. Mitchell & Garland will get there.

I'm gonna have to catch game 2, the Cavs still have a good chance at winning that series just get this next one at home then steal one in NY.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Then that falls on coach JB to get others involved.

Yes, I think Bickerstaff is showing NO playoff experience with the Cavs coaching wise. Where the Hell is Danny Green coming off of the bench that they got to replace Love and to add to some playoff experience?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Celtics fans Erik, showtime et al,
    I would root for Boston if Marcus Smart didn’t play for them.
    I remember he played in the big 12 (Oklahoma st.?) and he was a flopper/whiner of the highest magnitude. I developed a serious dislike of him and now whenever I watch a Celtics game he seems to be the MOW every game. Most outstanding whiner.
    Is he well liked by Boston fans?

• Options

@Darin said:
    I remember he played in the big 12 (Oklahoma st.?) and he was a flopper/whiner of the highest magnitude. I developed a serious dislike of him and now whenever I watch a Celtics game he seems to be the MOW every game. Most outstanding whiner.

Ha! He's my favorite C's player and I can't speak for his OKLST days, he does still flop these days but he also takes a beating on a nightly basis putting his body in position to take a charge or diving on the floor for a loose ball. I think that he's at the point in his career where he's at least got the respect from the refs to be able to state his argument.

Also he wouldn't even come close to MOW on the Celtics,at the start of the season that would have been Jayson Tatum but since then its gone to Grant Williams. Grant likes to sometimes fake an injury and lay on the floor while both teams take off to the other end of the court. He accidentaly bumped a female ref getting up after a call didn't go his way earlier in the season then got suspended for a game and since then I doubt that he's gotten one single call in his favor.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

Ha! He's my favorite C's player and I can't speak for his OKLST days, he does still flop these days but he also takes a beating on a nightly basis putting his body in position to take a charge or diving on the floor for a loose ball. I think that he's at the point in his career where he's at least got the respect from the refs to be able to state his argument.

Also he wouldn't even come close to MOW on the Celtics,at the start of the season that would have been Jayson Tatum but since then its gone to Grant Williams. Grant likes to sometimes fake an injury and lay on the floor while both teams take off to the other end of the court. He accidentaly bumped a female ref getting up after a call didn't go his way earlier in the season then got suspended for a game and since then I doubt that he's gotten one single call in his favor.

I used to follow the Celtics a lot more when Paul Pierce played, since he went to KU.
    Thanks for the insight I still don’t like
    Marcus but I agree he plays hard.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

East seed 2, 3, 5 and 8 won game 1.
    East sees 1, 4, 6 and 7 lost game 1

West seeds 1, 3, 5, and 7 won game 1.
    West seeds 2, 4, 6 and 8 lost game 1.

It would be very surprising to see Sacramento and the Clippers (two franchises without a history of success in the playoffs) play against each other in the Western Conference and have the winner play in the Finals.

In the east if the Knicks and the Celtics make it to the conference finals the media coverage of that series would be over the top.

The upcoming eight game 2s in the first round should be interesting to watch.

• Options

@Darin said:

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

I used to follow the Celtics a lot more when Paul Pierce played, since he went to KU.
    Thanks for the insight I still don’t like
    Marcus but I agree he plays hard.

I remember watching the HS McDonald's All American game with Pierce & KG right before he went to KU, I was very happy when he fell to Boston in that '98 draft. Its too bad Rick Pitino killed those early Pierce/C's teams by trading all of their young draft picks.

• Options

Kings go up 2-0, That arena was absolutely rocking tonight, they were cheering midway through the 3rd like it was triple overtime of game 7.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Kings go up 2-0, That arena was absolutely rocking tonight, they were cheering midway through the 3rd like it was triple overtime of game 7.

Amazing - I never get to see Kings games but they push Golden State Games down our throats during the weekend. Very surprised to see Kings go up 2-0.

• Options

So far so good for the Cavs tonight - halftime Cavs up 59 - 39.

• Options
    edited April 18, 2023 6:17PM

@Steven59 said:

@erikthredd said:

Amazing - I never get to see Kings games but they push Golden State Games down our throats during the weekend. Very surprised to see Kings go up 2-0.

IIRC this Kings team set an NBA record with the highest offensive rating in history. They're playing great and their fans are behind them at games but now they gotta go into another arena that can get just as loud in GS.

edit: thankfully the C's game started early tonight,i can catch the rest of the Cavs/Knicks now.

• Options

Jeez - Me Bitching about Bickerstaff 2 days ago - My, have things changed! :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    Jeez - Me Bitching about Bickerstaff 2 days ago - My, have things changed! :D

Its tough to blame him when NY's coach has alot more experience w/2 COY and helped winning Boston a title in 2008.
    Levert's having a great game for them off the bench.

• Options

So the Grizzlies "without Morant" beat the Lakers, and, the Bucks "without Giannis" are up by 26 at the half. :D

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    So the Grizzlies "without Morant" beat the Lakers, and, the Bucks "without Giannis" are up by 26 at the half. :D

Its like everyone playing in that LA/MEM game remembered that these two teams are the 7th & 2nd seeds and that the Griz are still really good without Ja.
    I don't know what's going on with the Bucks tonight but 85 first half points without Giannis is crazy.

• Options

Its pretty cool that the first winner of the John Havlicek 6th Man Of The Year award goes to a current Celtic player,Malcolm Brogdon.

• Options

About halfway through the first round.

What teams do you think will advance to the second round?

• Options

I think that the Celtics,Bucks,76ers & Nuggets are all locks to move on but the remaining series are tougher to pick,imo.

I'd like to see the Kings beat the Dubs but you can't count GS out being down 2-1,especially when they just came back from 2-1 in the Finals vs Boston.

The Suns/Clippers series will come down to whether Kawhi &/or Paul George are healthy enough to play. With Kawhi, the Clippers split the two games in Phoenix then lost last night at home without him.

The Cavs/Knicks series I could see going the full 7 games with Cleveland moving on. There's a possibility that Julius Randle's injury might keep him out tonight but all reports are he's probably playing.

That leaves the Lakers/Grizzlies series. If AD decides to play like the elite big man that he is when healthy then I think LA is winning that series. The problem is you don't know which version you're getting of him, not to mention a strong breeze might put him on the shelf for a month at any given moment.

• Options

If Sacramento wins round 1 I would really like to see them beat the winner of the Lakers-Grizzlies round 1 match up and play for the conference championship.

To really stir things up I would like to see the NBA title series played by either Sacramento or the Clippers vs. either the Knicks or Cleveland (without LeBron).

None of those teams have sniffed a title in a very long time (except Cleveland during the time LeBron was on the team).

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

i don't even know what i'm watching anymore

https://bleacherreport.com/videos/433828-james-harden-gets-ejected

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    If Sacramento wins round 1 I would really like to see them beat the winner of the Lakers-Grizzlies round 1 match up and play for the conference championship.

To really stir things up I would like to see the NBA title series played by either Sacramento or the Clippers vs. either the Knicks or Cleveland (without LeBron).

None of those teams have sniffed a title in a very long time (except Cleveland during the time LeBron was on the team).

You're totally right, a Celtics versus Kings or Clippers Finals would be a great series. 😎

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

I think he wouldn't have been ejected had he just had his palm out as a pushoff like literally every ballhandling player,no pun intended, does 5-10 times a night. You can even get away with some elbows but Royce O'Neal sold it pretty well there.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

I think he wouldn't have been ejected had he just had his palm out as a pushoff like literally every ballhandling player,no pun intended, does 5-10 times a night. You can even get away with some elbows but Royce O'Neal sold it pretty well there.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 2:50PM

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

just take that play at face value and say to yourself, "he got ejected for that"

the ref who tossed him for that should have been tossed

so, so incomprehensibly bad

if that warrants getting booted, you could easily eject entire teams for any given NBA game before the 4th quarter ended

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 2:56PM

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

just take that play at face value and say to yourself, "he got ejected for that"

I've been told, by some people here and irl, that I live a bit too much in the past when it comes to sports and my takes. 😂😂 And I understand their point. Still, I agree with you. This ejection is rather silly.

I watched it from all of the angles. A few points...

I still don't understand why pro athletes dont wear cups. I've heard the talking points. So dont explain to me why. I'm just saying, if they did, this nonsense of being hit there would be out the window.

Anyone who watched this from the various angles knows two things...one, as @erikthredd said, yes Harden hit him in a manner slightly different than the norm. Two, O'Neal will be up for a best actor Oscar.

Are you really going to tell me that the refs, who watched at a minimum the same video I saw, are so obtuse as to think that this play should result in Harden being ejected? Seriously????

Edited spelling

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

if that warrants getting booted, you could easily eject entire teams for any given NBA game before the 4th quarter ended

I think that the refs, at that point,probably had enough with the petty drama going on between the two teams all game. I know Embiid and Claxton were going at each other all game. Embiid got called for a flagrant foul very early on then had a couple other plays where they could have got him for a second one. Claxton ended up getting ejected after two flagrants himself.

Ideally Harden's shouldn't have been an ejection but Its how he positioned his hand makig it look like a hostile act. Like I said,had he just pushed of like everyone else does it might have just been an offensive foul. O'Neal deserved an Oscar on that play. (sidenote: about a month ago Marcus Smart took one in the cojones from Trae Young and instead of doing what O'Neal did, he went right to Trae telling him not to do that again, which led to an altercation with multiple players ending up on the floor then Smart ejected. Had he just done what O'Neal did it would have likely been the same result.)

By that fourth quarter those refs had to have just been looking to try to take control of the game. its one thing to argue calls with them all night,they're used to that every game,but when the players are taking the physicality up a notch with each other then the refs can only start T'ing you up or ejecting you to take back control.

• Options

Forgot to post this in that last comment, Doc Rivers didn't like how his stars where getting treated in that game.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36256363/doc-rivers-says-nba-address-teams-goading-star-players

• Options
    edited April 21, 2023 3:15PM

@thisistheshow said:

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

I've been told, by some people here and irl, that I live a bit too much in the past when it comes to sports and my takes. > 😂😂 And I understand their point. Still, I agree with you. This ejection is rather silly.

>
    That first one is for me lol... Larry Bird isn't walking through that door. 😉

edit: I bet close to all players wear cups. In most cases these players are trying to seek an advantage over their opponents with the flopping and lying on the floor after taking a shot to a body part.

• Options

Philly-Boston is going to be a hell of a series

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Yup and Boston has been resting Grant Williams & Blake Griffin just for Embiid. Neither player played over the first two playoff games in Boston but would play a huge part on defense vs Embiid/Giannis,if they eventually meet up.

Now that I think about,all that extracurricular stuff that we just watched in that Philly-Brooklyn game 3 will likely be taken up a notch in these later rounds with Boston,Philly & Milwaukee all having as good a shot as any at winning a title.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@galaxy27 said:

Yup and Boston has been resting Grant Williams & Blake Griffin just for Embiid. Neither player played over the first two playoff games in Boston but would play a huge part on defense vs Embiid/Giannis,if they eventually meet up.

Now that I think about,all that extracurricular stuff that we just watched in that Philly-Brooklyn game 3 will likely be taken up a notch in these later rounds with Boston,Philly & Milwaukee all having as good a shot as any at winning a title.

and to think this is going to be the appetizer before the appetizer

things are about to get really, really good in the association

• Options

Situations where athletes (in contact sports including basketball) end up in a pile on the floor many times result in a player standing up first. If the player who stands up makes the decision to then move their body directly over another player that is still on the floor (many times stopping once the player is straddling the player still on the floor and glaring at the player on the floor), that can and does lead to tempers flaring. The player on the floor will most likely react by striking out at the player standing over him/her. Fights then start. Fouls are called and players are ejected.

This is an instance of a player attempting to exert dominance (mental and physical) over another player (to get an advantage) .

The player who did this last night (getting up and straddling Embid) did not have to step over Embid. He just as easily cold have stepped away from Embid (to the side or back away from him).

As for Harden, many times over the course of his career he has used his extended arm and his hand to push defenders away from him (to create space for him to operate), including hitting an opposing player in his "nether region" :)

Again this is a tactic used to exert dominance over another player (to get an advantage).

What happens in basketball over the years and decades (when it comes to style of play) ebbs and flows. Today's game is less physical that games played 25 plus years ago.

I prefer basketball played without the "tackle them and throw them to the ground" style practiced by players such as Bill Lambier, etc. Basketball played with speed, quickness and the grace of a ballerina (with physical contact being an ancillary instead of primary component of the game) is preferable to basketball played like a rugby match or a WWE cage match.

• Options

Looks like Joel Embiid is missing game 4 with a knee issue. This could just be a precaution that Philly can afford to sit him being up 3-0 right now.

Also Kawhi will be out for tomorrow's game 4 as well. That Clippers team just can't catch a break with having Kawhi & Paul George both healthy for any game let alone the playoffs.

• Options

Good call for Philly - could even be a BS situation to sit him so he can be ready for the next series. Isn't Kawhi like the next Kyrie Irving - always hurt in the playoffs.

• Options

Going Old School for the Cavs game this evening - working out in the shop tonight so listening to it on Cleveland News Radio Station WTAM 1100 AM. B)

• Options

Wow! Just noticed Celts gave up 41 to the Hawks in the 2nd - now in the 4th but plenty time left.