Home Precious Metals

Selling gold bullion to a dealer

What can one expect if they sell gold bullion to a dealer. I know they wouldn't pay spot but having never done it, what can one expect?

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of it is at least going to depend upon the form of the bullion (bars, private rounds, government issued) and the type of dealer (local shop, refiner, large national wholesaler). In the past I have always been offered just under melt for things like the American Arts series medals and slightly over melt for common AGEs or Buffalos when dealing with local shops.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• All gold is gold coins in .9999 purity, except for one AGE. All coins are one ounce coins from all over the world. They were bought all on line from big bullion dealers. All are BU or better.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For most dealers (coin dealers or shops that deal in pawn/antiques etc.), Melt or a tad above is the general rule. I occasionally stop in to one or two of these shops, and that is what I find. I can get much better results selling to collectors or speculators. Cheers, RickO

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the form. You could get over spot for things like eagles.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭

If you are in Texas let me know... Have a great guy that will pay spot + for AGE

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s interesting that JM is paying a bit more for Morgan culls than modern commemorative dollars.

Higashiyama
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lostintranslation said:
    What can one expect if they sell gold bullion to a dealer. I know they wouldn't pay spot but having never done it, what can one expect?

I'd pay spot. Whatcha got ?

• Buffaloes, Maple Leafs, one AGE, Britannias(Elizabeth and Charles), Pandas, Somalia Elephants, South Africa elephant, Perth Bar, Perth Rabbit, Scotsdale Trident, Philharmonic, Dragon Coins, Australia Kangaroo...etc many more. Also, if you try to sell a 2006 Buffalo to the dealer will he still only pay current Buffalo prices?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could be interested in the AGE, the CML's Buffs etc. I only pay bullion prices, nothing numismatic with what you are listing. Let me know.
    *Disclaimer: This is not an offer for a monetary transaction. Please see the BST. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• RobMRobM Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

@Lostintranslation said:
    Also, if you try to sell a 2006 Buffalo to the dealer will he still only pay current Buffalo prices?

There isn't any premium on 2006 Buffalos. Dealer likely going to simply count your bison and multiply by his offer per ounce.

• maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spot+ or no sale....