Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Circulated Cameo Poll

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2023 6:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Which abbreviation do you prefer and use?

More info on these coins here:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/969845/the-circcam-circulated-cameo-thread :)

Here's a dollar from CoinFacts:

Circulated Cameo Poll

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CircCam

Sometimes the act of being clever distracts from the message.

peacockcoins

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CircCam

The term has gotten popular and often applied incorrectly as a marketing or ownership gimmick. True circulated cameo pieces are uncommon.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2023 11:15AM

@VanHalen said:
    The term has gotten popular and often applied incorrectly as a marketing or ownership gimmick. True circulated cameo pieces are uncommon.

IIRC, I have seen some people use a TradeMark symbol with one of the abbreviations.

Should TPGs have a CCAM designation? It could go well with CAM and DCAM.

• Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CircCam

@Zoins said:

@VanHalen said:

IIRC, I have seen some people use a TradeMark symbol with one of the abbreviations.

I would vote no for sure, because it is a look that can be created artificially. Truly original examples of this effect exist but I think drawing the line in any technical way would be challenging to say the least.

An example would be… take a uniformly dark toned bust half and use it as a pocket piece/handle it for little awhile. The devices would lighten and create the effect, but it isn’t original.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CirCam

I may have used this once over an informal text conversation.

Why use three C's when you can use two? Looks better in all lowercase as well.
    circam vs. circcam

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Circulation Cameo" - just another made up term to make a worn/average grade coin bring more money at auction.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CirCam

I prefer the CirCam... Keep it simple... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CircCam

Never even heard the term CirCam until now.

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CircCam

@Zoins said:

@VanHalen said:

I have posted it here as Circ Cam™ as a goof, it's kind of an inside joke going back decades on the forum to when @lordmarcovan popularized the term here.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2023 8:13AM
    CircCam

As the originator of the term- or perhaps the co-creator, since someone else might have come up with it independently around the same time (circa 2006 or a bit earlier), I prefer CircCam. Big C, small c, Big C.

So with three C's.

Not that it matters, 'cause everyone is gonna spell it the way they want to, if they adopt the term at all. ;)

But if you want the "official" canon spelling, there 'tis. :)

Looks like the majority in the poll bears that out as well.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Fake :p

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CircCam

@lordmarcovan said:
    And since this discussion is useless without a picture of a CircCam coin, here's my new baby. :)

Note the contrast between light and dark, with the higher parts of the coin being lighter, from a toned coin receiving light rub on those points. I have heard this called "antique patina" in other circles. Whatever you call it, it is my preferred look on circulated coins.

The CircCam term is, of course, a mashup of the words "circulated" or "circulation" and "cameo".

To me, as far as my collecting taste goes, this is the perfect coin! :)

• Options

@lordmarcovan said:
    And since this discussion is useless without a picture of a CircCam coin, here's my new baby. :)

Beautiful coin! Thanks for posting it!

I grabbed one from CoinFacts to add to the OP. I have a nice 1876-CC around here somewhere I need to take a good photo of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file