Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does this 1846 Medium Date LC look cleaned?

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 4 vouchers that need to be used soon. I stumbled across this LC and like it but want some opinions as to it being cleaned or not before I buy it. To me it looks a little glossy for the XF45 grade I give it. Help me out with your opinions as to grade and cleaning. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, lightly so.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think a problem-free (market acceptable) grade of EF45 would be reasonable.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an attractive EF that should straight grade. If was cleaned in the distant past, it's irrelevant now. That's a nice looking large cent.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like an acceptable cent to me.... Could have had a light cleaning in the distant past. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The coin maybe was wash at one point in the life not clean by the meaning. Has the normal color of the alloy for the period today.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it has been cleaned, it would not bother me. The coin as great appeal for a late date large cent.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pics it looks to have been lightly cleaned a long time ago but the color looks ok and the surfaces look relatively smooth... very few contact marks. I like it. I think XF for grade...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file