Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How long do you give sellers to ship??

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey Everyone... I won an ebay auction Sunday evening. It's now Wednesday afternoon and there's still no indication that the seller is going to ship. I sent a message through the ebay platform...

"Hi, I hope all is well. Please let me know when this item will ship. Best Regards, Leo"

So, how long do you typically give a seller to get back in touch with you? I've been doing ebay for around 20 years and I can't recall a seller taking more than a few days to get back to me...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always ship within 24 hours, if the PO is open. The is the eBay standard, I believe. although 96 hours is their maximum.

Vplite99
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually wait about 3 days before I send a message to the seller. I have had responses saying they were busy, or forgot and/or some sort of emergency came up. Hasn't happened much to me over the past 21 yrs on ebay but things do happen.

• Options
    SlipKidSlipKid Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

I send a message very similar to yours after 7 calendar days if the PO hasn't received the package yet (includes when seller creates label but doesn't hand off the package) If there is no movement or reply after 14, I start a case with ebay.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @bsshog40.

On the other hand, I've waited 3 days for payment once or twice. I've thought about adding in description: YOU PAY FAST, I SHIP FAST!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 2:55PM

Considering that Monday would have been the earliest shipment date possible and it’s only Wednesday, it seems as if you’re being at least somewhat impatient.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭

We usually ship, registered, within 24 hours.

We usually receive a warning from the PO, that the package will take some extra time due to everyone signing.

We usually get the PM's after 5 days... where is my coin?

We usually ask the PO for an E-Mail response within 7 days.

We usually start getting very concerned E-Mail's from the buyer that the tracking is not updating and the coin is not moving and must be lost.

We usually open a case within 9 days.

We usually see the tracking miraculously updates by day 11.

Day 12... WE usually see that the coin now is in the sellers locale.

Day 13 or 14 .. We usually see delivered.

That's the usual process.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 3:09PM

I am going through that right now, an eBay purchase but not an auction. I ordered the coin March 21, 2023 and as of this afternoon it has not been picked up by the post office. I was given an excuse by the seller and promised it would be mailed this past Monday. I have now put in a request for a refund through eBay and will wait until April 4, 2023 to see if that happens. If not, I get the refund shortly after April 4, 2023 from eBay who gets the money from the seller. This seldom happens, at least to me, for which I am glad. It will work out in the end.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

If at all possible I would think next day shipping would be reasonable; personally I will ship same day if I am able. A local shop often waits weeks when customers have a submission for grading to send them in even if they have a big enough group which is too long imo.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will usually wait 3 business days before making a very friendly reminder to the seller.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 6:24PM

I also wait until about the 3rd business day to send a friendly reminder to the seller. I would wait a couple more days after that before following up again. When I sell an item, I always try to get it out the next business day, worst case the day after that.

Edit for clarity

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same day if paid by 11AM EDT.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Considering that Monday would have been the earliest shipment date possible and it’s only Wednesday, it seems as if you’re being at least somewhat impatient.

Especially true if this was HA instead of eBay :D

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experiences with most sellers have been that the coin is shipped within a few days at the latest. Sometimes things come up but I think it is reasonable to ask (the original poster’s message was fair and polite). Give it a few more days before following up. If there is still no reply or no tracking, then consider further options like opening an eBay case (which gives the seller a few more days to reply).

• Options

@MFeld said:

Perhaps... I sent a gentle reminder just before CoB today, which is the third business day. Most of the auctions on ebay I bid on typically end on Sunday evenings, and I pay right away. I honestly can't remember the last time I didnt have a package listed as "shipped" by the following Tuesday... or at least an indication that a shipping label had been generated.

I also understand that sometimes "life happens" so I'll wait a couple more days before making contact again.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ship out next business am, incl saturday if payment, comes in by 8 am

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figure 2 days +/-... if the seller has a policy or messages me with another date, I'm quite reasonable.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the seller sent the coin without tracking. I've received coins from ebay sellers in an envelope with a 60c stamp on it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually just sold some watches/parts on ebay. As soon as the first bid comes in, I start packaging everything up. Once paid and I have a legitimate address, it gets shipped no later than next day considering it doesn't fall on a sunday. This item was paid for monday and I shipped on monday. And I always add the trkg # in the parking lot of the P.O. Lol

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 days

But things happen in life the seller could be in the hospital who knows so I would be patient it can happen.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

After 3 days; I’d kindly reach out to see what’s going on.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@jkrk said:
    We usually ship, registered, within 24 hours.

We usually receive a warning from the PO, that the package will take some extra time due to everyone signing.

We usually get the PM's after 5 days... where is my coin?

We usually ask the PO for an E-Mail response within 7 days.

We usually start getting very concerned E-Mail's from the buyer that the tracking is not updating and the coin is not moving and must be lost.

We usually open a case within 9 days.

We usually see the tracking miraculously updates by day 11.

Day 12... WE usually see that the coin now is in the sellers locale.

Day 13 or 14 .. We usually see delivered.

That's the usual process.

Most of the time, when tracking hasn't updated for several days, I'll sign up for email and text notifications on the USPS website. It usually starts moving very soon after that.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 business days for me to accommodate the required travel for my job.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 days at most. Most sellers will ship next day on eBay. Both eBay and Amazon ship very fast.

• Options

This: "Most reputable sellers on eBay will ship by the next day."

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

I would always ship within 24-48 hours. I have given up selling on EBay though since they lowered the reporting threshold to $600.00

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not do a lot of buying on Ebay anymore.... However, even in the past, the seller usually shipped within three days. I do not recall any extensive wait for shipping. The last year, shipping has always been very prompt, most within a day. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

End of the 3rd business day; however, I first take a look to see if the seller posted anything about a delay, which has occurred. Last time the dealer had a show coming up. I can wait if communication is good.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the 3rd business day, I might drop a line saying, "Any chance the coin will ship tomorrow?" and I most always get a shipping notice for the next day. In the old days at Ebay, at least, it was acceptable for 5 Business days to be shipped, unless noted otherwise on the auction.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

A seller should be prepared to ship in 3 business days but I’ll wait 5 business days before I’ll inquire. Only once can I recall having to inquire with a seller after 7 business days.

• Options

@scooter25 said:
    I would always ship within 24-48 hours. I have given up selling on EBay though since they lowered the reporting threshold to $600.00

eBay had nothing to do with that rule. You can thank the Supreme Court for that.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't start wondering/worrying until after seven days.

Maybe the seller has a real day-job, and can only ship on the weekend.

Steve

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

I become annoyed after three days and will reach out after 5 or so. There’s easy recourse on purchases that don’t ship - it’s an automatic refund to the buyer, so there’s no need to stress about it.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never had problems.

When I was selling on eBay I would ship within 24-48 hours. If I had to travel unexpectedly I would notify the buyer and update shipping day.

I recently bought a coin on eBay and the seller notified me after he received payment that he was away and there would be a 3 day delay shipping.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Hey Everyone... I won an ebay auction Sunday evening. It's now Wednesday afternoon and there's still no indication that the seller is going to ship.

What did the seller claim as the shipping lead time in the auction listing? I would wait 2 days beyond that before asking.

• Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

No excuses beyond 48 hours.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would usually give up to 3 business days for some grace time for the seller, but the eBay listing should also have a "handling time" listed by the seller.

On my listings I state a 1 day handling time for some buffer but usually ship as soon as I can after payment is received.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Most sellers have "Day Jobs." If you can only ship on Saturday's, you have no business being a regular seller on eBay.

• Options

@messydesk said:

@lkenefic said:
    Hey Everyone... I won an ebay auction Sunday evening. It's now Wednesday afternoon and there's still no indication that the seller is going to ship.

What did the seller claim as the shipping lead time in the auction listing? I would wait 2 days beyond that before asking.

The seller updated the status as "shipped" this morning (Friday). I did go back to the original listing and they state that they ship "mid week". I get the sense that selling on ebay is sort of a side gig for this particular vendor and I didn't get a response to my message. Since the coin is on the way... it's all good...

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@SDSportsFan said:

Steve

Most sellers have "Day Jobs." If you can only ship on Saturday's, you have no business being a regular seller on eBay.

That's a little harsh. But they should state that in their terms and conditions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file