Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you get nervous right before your grades are about to post?

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do and mine are! So exciting and then also nerve racking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

Comments

• Options
    BoloBolo Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭

I was checking every day.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are people who check several times a day for weeks on end. Funny thing is when grades are available they send you an E-Mail telling you so.

I'm more nervous about coins I pay full money for getting details graded. Thankfully that happens rarely now.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always. Usually come in lower than I grade them :'(

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never get nervous but I do want to see the grades when I submit. I submit so few that I am always curious what it ends up being.

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:
    Never. Usually come in higher than I grade them :)

They actually give a grade to a broken coin?

• Options

I believe things are getting back to normal. This regular order they received 2-27 then it moved to grading within a week, then to Encapsulation a few days ago. This morning they moved to QA so, I FEEL like they will be posting by the end of the week.
    Incidentally, I was looking at my past orders a couple years back and the complete process took less than a month.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

Yes and I prefer Mint State Grades ...

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:

@Coinscratch said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

Yes and I prefer Mint State Grades ...

I do too - Well that's pretty cool so, I'll guess the one above graded MS65?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2023 3:52PM

The longer it takes for the grades to post, (almost) three months so far (Your submission has been scheduled for grading.), the more anxious I get.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always check multiple times a day once it gets close until I get tired of doing so and give up. Usually they post the grades right after I give up. It’s like they know I’m checking and deliberately wait until I stop checking before they post them 🧐😉

Mr_Spud

• Options

Well I assume mines moving fast we’ll see how long this actually takes in QA.
    And if they are moving fast I would also assume that’s because it’s a regular submission, nothing fancy.

I’m hoping they call me and say your order, it’s gonna cost twice as much because all of your coins are worth over $2500 each lol.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

For years, I used to check every day or multiple times per day.
    Then as I gained wisdom, I realized that all that checking didn't make them move any faster.
    So I backed off to checking every 3 or 4 days.
    Now, I don't even bother - they will notify me when they are graded.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Maybe I’ll get some grade bumps. After all I now belong to the elite club 😎
    5+ years you would think I know how to grade by now lol.

• Options

Once they do post I always check them on the phone so I can scroll down slowly looking at one at a time instead of the whole damn page at one time.

You know just trying to take it in one at a time mumbling to myself yeah I figured that was gonna happen.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Maybe I’ll get some grade bumps. After all I now belong to the elite club 😎
    5+ years you would think I know how to grade by now lol.

I would not hold your breath.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

For big coins, yes

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

With Premier Elite . . . . so you're telling me
    there is a preferred submitters list?

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I believe things are getting back to normal. This regular order they received 2-27 then it moved to grading within a week, then to Encapsulation a few days ago. This morning they moved to QA so, I FEEL like they will be posting by the end of the week.
    Incidentally, I was looking at my past orders a couple years back and the complete process took less than a month.

Boy are you setting yourself up for a surprise. I'm at 8 weeks in Quality Check, If I believed they were going to be quick I'd need to increase my blood pressure meds.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checking on the posting of grades assigned by a TPG to submitted coins is an interesting topic and it provides insight into the psychological make up of the person who had the coin(s) submitted for grading.

If the grade(s) assigned by he TPG is/are higher than, equal to, or lower than what the submitter's personal grade opinion for the coin(s) what impact does that have on the submitter?

Does the submitter feel:

1. validated;

2. pride;

3. contentment;

4. joy/happiness;

5. sadness;

6. anger;

7. frustration;

8. cheated; and

9. so on, etc.

If so, why?

What does the daily, hourly, minutely, secondly, nano secondly checking the "Order Page" to see if grades have posted say about the submitter; and what does a submitter not checking at all and merely waiting for his/her coins to be delivered back to him/her say about the submitter?

People are not all the same; and how they conduct themselves and/or think is varied. Observing this part of coin grading does reveal much about one's mindset, point of view and way of thinking/doing.

For me, I check the posting of grading results out of curiosity and anticipation. I like to find out if my own personal grade opinions are similar to the grades assigned by a TPG. I tend to prefer having my assigned grades be the same as the grades assigned by a TPG instead of having my assigned grades by higher or lower (I know, strange Wot?).

• Options

@SanctionII Hopefully I’ll be feeling the first 4 and not the last 4. I know that your coins are very tough to grade, Dcam or no cam etc.

Mine are much easier in modern MS coins obviously still learning and branching out. But with every order (especially this one with 8 vouchers) I’ll throw in a few test subjects for fun.

The 8 tests on this order are for PL but I think if I come away with 2 or 3 PLs it will be a win. And that’s just the fluff.

• Options

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@Coinscratch said:

Boy are you setting yourself up for a surprise. I'm at 8 weeks in Quality Check, If I believed they were going to be quick I'd need to increase my blood pressure meds.

Yes, I saw that thread but your order was more complicated obviously yours is in a very popular large stack of back orders. But then again what type of order is yours @oih82w8 ?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@DollarAfterDollar said:

@Coinscratch said:

Yes, I saw that thread but your order was more complicated obviously yours is in a very popular large stack of back orders. But then again what type of order is yours @oih82w8 ?

5 Crossovers.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "CLUB" 4 freebie regular order was received 2/22 and just went to Encapsulation a few hours ago. We'll see how long it takes to get in and out of QA...

• Options

@messydesk said:
    After my last shipment, I get nervous when I drop them off at the post office until I see the received date "pop".

I think I recall, was it a missing/stolen package or something?
    I think if I ever found a 100,000 coin I would have to fly to Newport Beach, no way that thing is getting outta my sight.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm always excited to get the results of crossovers and restorations.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't... but my students certainly do! ;)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@messydesk said:
    After my last shipment, I get nervous when I drop them off at the post office until I see the received date "pop".

I think I recall, was it a missing/stolen package or something?
    I think if I ever found a 100,000 coin I would have to fly to Newport Beach, no way that thing is getting outta my sight.

Damaged package. PCGS refused delivery and it came back to me.

• Options

I’ve learned to lower my expectations a bit, take my medicine and get right back to it. You cannot learn from your mistakes if you just get mad and frustrated. Like I did the first several attempts.
    Now I look back at those coins and think, what the hell was I thinking. Heck they were showing mercy to even give that coin a 66. Here is just one of those which btw is getting upgraded at least in appearance.

No glamour shot here either, 63? Again they were just being nice.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really... Generally know what to expect at this point. Still brings a smile to my face when a coin pops higher than I expected, or when I make a bigger coin, though! :)

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I get impatient though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I was never nervous or even bothered checking. That being said, the last several years, I have purchased coins already graded... Instant gratification cannot come soon enough. :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@DelawareDoons said:
    Not really... Generally know what to expect at this point. Still brings a smile to my face when a coin pops higher than I expected, or when I make a bigger coin, though! :)

On this order there is one coin in particular that to me looks better than the plate coins on CF. I struggled to find any hits or blemishes on mine while those MS68 CF coins all have spots and scrapes. And mine has a hammered strike with frosty devices as well so, I will either be pleasantly surprised or sending this one back for reconsideration.

STP (shot top pop) - Or... Once I'm able to compare Trueviews I will see where I was wrong.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly, as others have stated, any anxiety or stresses are typically while coins are in transition, not the submission

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Mostly, as others have stated, any anxiety or stresses are typically while coins are in transition, not the submission

One hurdle at a time. Maybe, I'll have something worth worrying about on their trip back.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    I do and mine are! So exciting and then also nerve racking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cphNpqKpKc4

Holy smokes grades are in! I can't look at them right now! Still at work I gotta get outta here :D

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I am obsessive about grades and check often, even when I know they are not due for weeks. And yes, I get nervous.

Tom

• Options
    edited March 30, 2023 4:18PM

The grade numbers haven’t populated yet but the attributions have and I did manage 3 PLs, 2 DDOs, and an FS so I’m pretty stoked.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@DelawareDoons said:

On this order there is one coin in particular that to me looks better than the plate coins on CF. I struggled to find any hits or blemishes on mine while those MS68 CF coins all have spots and scrapes. And mine has a hammered strike with frosty devices as well so, I will either be pleasantly surprised or sending this one back for reconsideration.

STP (shot top pop) - Or... Once I'm able to compare Trueviews I will see where I was wrong.

Good luck! That's a whole 'nother world.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

You may have to wait a month more. I'm in my third week in QA.

I feel anticipation and a touch of frustration. I worry more about the die marriage attributions and Trueviews than the grades for the coins I've submitted so far. For example, I forgot to write in my DM determinations for my current submission. However, PCGS attributors got the attributions correct, which was a relief.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:

@Coinscratch said:

I feel anticipation and a touch of frustration. I worry more about the die marriage attributions and Trueviews than the grades for the coins I've submitted so far. For example, I forgot to write in my DM determinations for my current submission. However, PCGS attributors got the attributions correct, which was a relief.

I was only in QA 3 or 4 days then Yesterday this happened. You can see the attributions but not the grades so I think it's currently processing. I've had orders where the last 2 or 3 steps happen within a few days of posting.

Also the images ready display lit up the same time it went grading.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@Barberian said:

@Coinscratch said:

I was only in QA 3 or 4 days then Yesterday this happened. You can see the attributions but not the grades so I think it's currently processing. I've had orders where the last 2 or 3 steps happen within a few days of posting.

Are these raw submissions or re-grades to get the PL designation?

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to submit a coin to any grading service, thus avoiding that problem. :D

• Options
    ricmanricman Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Only when it was the chemistry grades soon to be posted.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Barberian said:

@Coinscratch said:

Are these raw submissions or re-grades to get the PL designation?

Raw and fresh from mint sets. The population was 1 but now will be 3, my current avatar well...still waiting on grades but I think it looks better than the "1" but the TVs have a way of pulling out every little flaw.

• Options

@erscolo said:
    I have yet to submit a coin to any grading service, thus avoiding that problem. :D

It's no problem all things considered ;)

• Options

I just started a GTG on this one.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anticipation that my submissions go well and always hopeful that the coins cross or better.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file