Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This Looks Like a Cleaned Coin

Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

If not cleaned, why not?

Ive seen details-cleaned coins that looked less cleaned than this one.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

Comments

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Professional graders can tell if the surface has been cleaned by putting it under high magnification. It's much harder to tell from photos, although I can definitely see why you would think this coin was cleaned.
    Sometimes, even if a coin has had an old cleaning, as long as it has re-toned or "re-skinned" and is market acceptable, TGP's will go ahead and straight grade it. At least, that is my understanding.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it can be about retoning but that one isn't quite there yet IMO.

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ive been purchasing with the "buy the coin not the holder" as many of you told me to do. Thats why this one made me pause. Straight graded but looks cleaned. Like someone took a rag and spit shined all the areas a rag could reach.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless egregious, always difficult from photos and appears the brightness was turned up on these photos which may not be how it looks in hand.

• Options
    Riley1955Riley1955 Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    In a case like this, I would trust the grader, since they had the coin in hand, under ideal light and available magnification. We are often to quick to throw out the 'cleaned' opinion on coins pictured here... Cheers, RickO

I noticed that from some, in my short tenure. :#

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought some great coins from bad photos from this seller.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It sure would be nice if Trueview images would become standard with ALL submissions, since counterfeiting and "coin swapping" is becoming so prevalent. At least this way, potential buyers would be able to view the coin at the time it was graded, to ensure that it's the same coin. The cert for this half checks out, but there is no photo of it on the cert page, so is it the same coin? Or has someone cracked it out and swapped in a lesser value coin and resealed the slab?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's tough to tell from pictures and a professional grader did have this coin in-hand and under optimal conditions, so it might not be as bad as the OPs image suggests. That said... I've seen a few straight graded coins that only a mother could love...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from photos, but certainly unattractive to me.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which coin would you rather have for looks alone? The OP coin or this one?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Which coin would you rather have for looks alone? The OP coin or this one?
    Jim

I would have to pass on both. The second one has a coat of toning which is hiding the cleaning problem, but it's still there. in the photo, the surfaces look very unnatural.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭

This might not be what you want to hear, but if you intend to collect coins that only have original skin you might want to consider something different than Seated coins. I would not be surprised if more than 95% of all seated coins have had some kind of treatment or alteration in their past. You want to avoid the egregiously altered and ugly coins, but most Seated coins are a measure of acceptance. Just my opinion. James

• Options

@BillJones
    Not my question, Bill. You have only one choice, which coin of the two? Not for a competition or registry, but of the two which is the most pleasant to view?
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    @BillJones
    Not my question, Bill. You have only one choice, which coin of the two? Not for a competition or registry, but of the two which is the most pleasant to view?
    Jim

Having to choose, I would take the second one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

As an aside, Bill’s 1853 arrows and rays is an excellent example of a dipped coin with great character.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks dipped, not Cleaned with a capital C. It doesn’t even look that unpleasant as far as seated coinage goes

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics of coins with toning always throw me off. This one does too. I see no cleaning.
    bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is the OP coin was wiped with a cloth or tissue but not cleaned with an abrasive. One has to see the coin in hand to check the nature of the hairlining. The other coin has darker, attractive toning, but the coin shows some light corrosion as if it's been in a soft flip or a humid environment for a while. I'd choose the 2nd coin for its eye appeal to me.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

The purpose of the post, was that the 1st coin while graded XF45 does not have an "I want it" look and the second coin while rejected for grade as environmentally damaged is by far a coin I would wish to own compared to the 1st coin which graded. While some might choose the 1st for value/registry, it would appear to me that for a collection the 2nd coin would surpass the 1st. JMO
    JIm

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin was clearly enhanced or processed as some like to say. I suspect the coin looks better in hand than in the image.

The question of cleaning as opposed to a coin that was merely enhanced will always be a subject of controversy and even dispute. The biggest litmus test for a straight grade is surface impairment which leave hairliines that are distinguishable from wear/circulation. Next but equally important is lustre impairment from the enhancement. And if the lustre is dull and not attributable to toning, there is a chance a straight grade will not be in the cards. See exhibit A

This is an MS coin. Our hosted determined it was cleaned. And while I am not completely sold that their opinion was appropriate or reasonable, I have at least tried to look and seek out what they saw that I did not that would lead to two opposing opinions. The coin has die polish- not hairlines. And I suspect they see lustre impairment as the lustre is muted which they attribute to a cleaning. I see it as toning whereby the muted lustre was simply not impaired by some effort to enhance the surfaces.

My point is there is a very fine line (no pun intended) between what is market acceptable and what is not. And that line is not always constant or as easy as it should be.

Back to the question of the op... the coin was clearly enhanced. The picture does not help the cause for a straight grade. Seated Coinage is rarely found in an original state of preservation... so is this one market acceptable? That is the real question with competing arguments of which some are more persuasive than others. I see the coin that I posted as having a strong claim to a straight grade than the straight graded coin that started the discussion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file