Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a Denver or Philadelphia?

I'm not sure if the Mintmark is there or not?

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna guess it's an "S".

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly.

• Options
    BamaphilBamaphil Posts: 113 ✭✭

Definitely Philadelphia

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a W...........don't you? Look again!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@Ownerofawheatiehorde said:
    Phareidolia. :D

There are a lot of faint mint marks on buffs. Unless it's a 1934 I'm still betting on an "S".

Of course there's probably no way to prove it but acid etching has proven me right far more often than wrong.

I'd be interested to know the date.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Philadelphia mint coin to me.... If not a special coin, a quick acid etch would remove all doubt.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

No mintmark there, no matter how close you get.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options

@ricko said:
    Looks like a Philadelphia mint coin to me.... If not a special coin, a quick acid etch would remove all doubt.... Cheers, RickO

I don't think it would. etching works by preferentially eating around a design feature which has a slightly higher density caused by strike. If there's really a mint mark there it was struck too weakly to be highlighted like this.

I believe if I saw the coin in hand I'd be pretty sure it's an "S" but there won't be any way to prove it at this late date. Unless it's a coin that doesn't exist from San Francisco like a 1934 or an '18/'17 etc.

Pictures can be deceiving.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@ricko said:

And you're right that weak strikes and worn devices are not the same thing. Just because I can see heavily worn dates and mint marks doesn't necessarily mean I'd be any better at seeing weakly struck mm's.

I looked at a lot of circulating buffs in the '50's and '60 and by then they had a lot of wear and I noted a lot of weak strikes and filled dies.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

So... ...don't leave us hanging. Is that a 1936?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're all wrong...it's obviously a CC.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see a mint mark or a real trace of one. I would say Philadelphia.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2023 9:34AM

id say philly. although one time i had trouble with the mint mark (no glasses) and the teller told me it was a "Z" then swore to it. the teller is not currently employed by the bank

• Options

That looks like a Philadelphia to me.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

No trace of a mintmark, thus Philly.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be San Francisco. It has that "San Francisco Roll" that the late David Lange talked about in his Buffalo Nickel book.

"Basining" a coin die is done to help metal flow better into all areas. Basically, it involves imparting a curve around the rim that helps the planchet receive a better displacement of metal.

This is done at the Mint of use. The result of this method varies according to the whims of the local die preparer, who performs this operation conforming to the rules at the Mint of use.

Therefore, the coins produced at different Mints display some differences peculiar to that Mint.

You can read more about this procedure in Davids book.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    Matt97932Matt97932 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

Hey sorry I took so long to respond. Had family emergency. Anyway it's a 1926. Here's the entire coin.

• Options

• Options
    Shane6596Shane6596 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my S with waaaaay more wear than yours and the MM is still very visible. Yours is a P, or someone filed off just the MM only years ago, which is highly unlikely.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options

Very worn 26 D, still very visible MM.

Successful BST transactions with....Coinslave87, ChrisH821, Walkerguy21D, SanctionII.......................Received "You Suck" award 02/18/23

• Options

I thought it might of had grease in the die. It's my mind looking to hard again.
    But I do have an S I would like for everyone to look at.

• Options

I think i see the "shape" of D you might be seeing. Thing is, its too high up into the E and C to be a MM. The top of the "D" needs to be below the bottom of the letter E for a true MM.

• Options

@Matt97932 said:

Being a 1926 with a reasonably well struck reverse certainly makes it a lot less likely to be an "S". :p

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I will go with No way to see. Forensic software do not pop-up nothing.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file