Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much would you pay for this half dime?

The coins looks to be in CAC sticker-worthy shape in hand. I couldn't find any auction records quite matching this coin with its toning.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Throw the book away for that one.

• Options
    dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 12:47PM

@alaura22 said:
    Throw the book away for that one.

Sadly, I can't press both the "LOL" and "Agree" buttons. Beautiful coin.

Young Numismatist

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you LOVE the toning maybe $300. I wouldn't make any CAC assumptions...in my experience seated coins are extraordinarily tough to sticker.

• Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many variables.
    For me it would be $115.
    For someone building a set or really wanting a toned half dime ?

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tree Fiddy. Seriously, $ 200 came to mind right away. Based on my limited experience, the stickerman doesnt like blue type coins so if you need a sticker, find a coin with a sticker

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2023 1:49PM

@CommemDude said:
    Tree Fiddy. Seriously, $ 200 came to mind right away. Based on my limited experience, the stickerman doesnt like blue type coins so if you need a sticker, find a coin with a sticker

Really???
    Like this one?

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

$140

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I paid $135 for this CAC-approved example in the same grade (AU55). That was three years ago. Different year/mm, but same PCGS value.

A lot has changed in 3 years!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming it is not too dark in hand $250-$300 sounds reasonable (roughly MS61-62 money)

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not enough to actually get it because somebody almost always premiums that kind of a look more than I'm willing to. But I like the coin. I'd probably be willing to go $150-ish if it were a coin I were actually seeking for some reason. The seller would be dumb to sell to me, though.

mirabela
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is a common date that will quite possibly sell to a Type collector who wants to own a single example of a Liberty Seated H10c in the AU grade range. It's very attractive, as long as you like colorful toning (and not everyone does). It should sell for a premium over PCGS price guide, which is $200 for AU55 and $225 for AU55+. MS63 price guide is $450, so any amount approaching that number seems silly. I would expect a fair retail value in the $225 range.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. $300. seems fair.

peacockcoins

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been a big fan of rainbow toning. I know many collectors love it though, so I'd pass and let someone else pay the premium for the color.
    I do however like rim toning that you typically see on coins that have been housed in an album for decades. To my eye, it gives a coin an attractive "antique" look without being overwhelming.

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not into toning so it doesn't get factored in. $200 max but I would shoot for $150.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

I would say exactly $180. Toning is appealing, strike not great, rims nicked, surfaces mediocre, not a lock for CAC in my opinion. Nice coin though, 73-S is relatively common in higher grades.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SPCTR... Welcome aboard. I would pass, I do not like tarnish.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it is a great coin with gorgeous eye appeal. I don't see a 'not great strike' nor any of the other negative attributes others are apparently focused on. Bottom line, for every great toned hd like this, there are 1000's that are simply shades of gray, 1000's cleaned too much, and 10000's heavily worn and fugly. So if I really wanted it, I'd pay a premium if the premium was the ask price.

PCGS price is $200 in 55, $250 in 58. Without a bean, I could see the dealer asking $250 and again if I really wanted it, I would buy at that price. If a sticker was on it, $300 would probably be the ask price.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2023 9:11AM

FYI - CDN CPG MV on the coin is $119.

1873 H10c PCGS 55

Would a toner hobbyist pay more sight seen off the bourse? Idk

I am not one and would probably have the same problem with that piece as expressed by others. The coin appears (based on photo) too dark for me and likely needs conservation. I would need see it sight seen in 100 watt light to really evaluate it. I would estimate a seller asking 125, possibly 150 but anything way over that its over priced imo. The thing I wonder is it even nicer than the pieces that realized $80-$85 (auc history) - Which is about 5-10 pct behind CDN bid.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage. A good example of how pretty colors can play tricks on your wallet if you are not very observant.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    Environmental damage. A good example of how pretty colors can play tricks on your wallet if you are not very observant.

Er, ah, how can you say that w/o seeing it in hand? It is toned, if that is ED, then 90% of pre-1900 worn coins would qualify. You are saying that PCGS does not know ED when it sees it and straight grades damaged coins??????

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Take a look at the slab photo and tell us it is too dark, no, it is not too dark. Why the TV's look like that could be for many reasons.............

• Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I am not one and would probably have the same problem with that piece as expressed by others. The coin appears (based on photo) too dark for me and likely needs conservation. I would need see it sight seen in 100 watt light to really evaluate it. I would estimate a seller asking 125, possibly 150 but anything way over that its over priced imo. The thing I wonder is it nicer than the pieces that realized $80-$85 (auc history) - Which is about 5-10 pct behind CDN bid.

CDN bid is wholesale, he is buying from a dealer, he won't get it for wholesale. Also, you say it is too dark, look at the slab photo. Conservation? So destroy a perfectly toned coin by making it blast white?

• Options

Here is a recent ebay sale for an even darker original example (like this one), for $225:

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1873-s-h10c/4405/-7892516347792662479

So again, I see this going for $250 given the quality of the toning.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pay $200.
    Unmessed with a bit of color is always worth a premium.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2023 9:25AM

Well your blowing in the solar wind with me space - $250 way over MV (especially that piece) per CDN iMO. Furthermore recent auc history does not seem to support that. Furthermore savvy photographers can make items appear nicer than in hand. Also CDN CPG is not wholesale - it is a FMV retail based on CDN bid! They have done a super fantastic job over there at CDN for giving MV for both CAC and non CAC. But if a toner hobbyist takes it at $250 it’s their money their hobby. Simply not a player there. I do believe that coin has environmental damage (most likely long term exposure to atmosphere). Send it in to our hosts for conservation? Just not a fan of badly tarnished coins that will get worse over time. On the positive side if they start it at $85 in online auc it should get bids (based on how people bidding stuff up these days).

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

$200 if I was interested.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Here is a recent ebay sale for an even darker original example (like this one), for $225:

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1873-s-h10c/4405/-7892516347792662479

So again, I see this going for $250 given the quality of the toning.

The OGH might have impacted that linked result but I still think it is a decent comp to use. I’d agree with your price range too.

Something tells me the price is a lot more than 250 or even 300 given my general experiences with toners at shows (and the fact that the OP is asking). I think if the price was closer to 250, someone would have already bought the coin.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it, but wonder what it will look like 5 years from now, hopefully the same. Toning can continue in holders.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

For reference CAC price guide lists "0" AU55 @ $137. 4 AU58 @$179.
    As > @BillJones said:

Some of the toning looks like it's got too far. When you have black and dull spots, it's a negative, no matter how nice other areas of the coin are. For me, it would be a pass.

As > @CommemDude said:

if you need a sticker, find a coin with a sticker

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭

I like it and have no doubts it will look exactly the same 5 years fro now.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:

Maybe five years from, but I have one that has gone wrong 20 years later with proper storage. It is certified by our hosts. I may as well be honest.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@RobertScotLover said:

Maybe five years from, but I have one that has gone wrong 20 years later with proper storage. It is certified by our hosts. I may as well be honest.

I am relying on a pcgs true view. I t appears that the dark areas are in shadow as opposed to being black. I am also assuming that our hosts wanted to accentuate the color to make it look its best and in doing so darkened the edge of the coin in the process, but hey who really knows.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT. Couple hundred dollars, and a +. If a collector wants nice toning. The thought of dipping to bright white is repulsive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file