Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's Going on Under the 7 of This 1927-S Dime?

ShurkeShurke Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

A couple years back I came across an eBay listing where the seller claimed to have an unrecorded overdate on a 1927-S merc. Of course I know that a number of random eBay sellers spout nothing but nonsense. But in this case, the pics were intriguing enough that I started googling around. While I didn't find the slightest mention of a possible variety for this issue, I did find a coin in Coinfacts that was clearly struck with the same die.

I decided to keep my eyes open and see if I could pick up an example of this variety that I could examine myself. Eventually I found a raw one, and confirmed that there is indeed something going on with the date. I just got it back yesterday from PCGS with Trueview. (Before I post the image, I feel the need to note that this is a particularly horrid Trueview--the dime is far more attractive).

Here's my dime, followed by a detail of the date.

There's some circulation crud that obscures some of the finer detail, so here's another closeup of the date on this variety, this time from a lovely 58+ example on coinfacts (cert# 20908234, if anyone's interested).

And for comparison, here's the date on a standard 27-S dime. (I pulled this one from cert# 25621116).

Finally, for ease of viewing, I thought I'd post all three 7s together, with the standard 7 on the left followed by the two variety 7s.

I just wanted to get more eyes on this and see what everyone thinks. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say... there sure appears to be something on the lower part of the '7'. But I hesitate to say it is an overdate, or even a RPM. I'm thinking more along the lines of die deterioration, and perhaps a resulting die break cud? Nice pictures by the way.

----- kj
  • Options

I’m also not ready to make any wild claims about an overdate. But something’s going on there. In hand, the point protruding from the lower part of the 7 is clearly visible and is at the very least a conveniently placed die gouge.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shurke... Excellent pictures. The first example made me think of a 7/3, but that is not logical... no doubt something is there and I am thinking a reworked 7...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Looks like they repunched the 7 with a slightly different die to me.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting! Excellent images.

I wanted to say it appears to be over another 7 rotated ??12deg?? CW, but the more I look, that doesn't look right either. Something definitely going on.

Need to get @Fairlaneman and @DRUNNER in here

Subscribing to the thread. Next visit to the box I'll check mine closer. It's a P63 I've had for ... wow ... 20 years next month according to my notes.

I have older images that don't look she will be a match, but I'll check anyway.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am totally unfamiliar with this. I cannot think of any way that this is an overdate (let's face it, the only plausible overdate would be a 7/6), but I do not know what caused those obvious marks on the die.

It kind of looks like a curved tool hit the center of the 7, leaving the bulge outside the right side of the 7 but then continuing through the upright of the 7 and leaving a small knob on the left side of the 7 down low. Think of the modern dies with curved indents in them, like the Wisconsin so-called extra leaf quarters and the Roosevelt dime with a curved tool mark near the ear. There are also a few Lincoln Memorial cents with a tiny circle around Lincoln on the reverse.

So, I think it is worth more study. Anybody have an earlier die state?

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2023 10:10AM

Repunched/retooled 7?

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

It almost looks a #2 which has been "removed" or reworked under the #7 you can see the curve on the right side and a very small curve on the left almost like a point at the bottom it. someone just had it in the wrong position when striking the working die?

• Options

I thought it looked most like a 2 as well, though that makes no sense whatsoever.

There’s some bold die clash on the AU 58+. On mine the clash has been mostly polished away. I saw an earlier, pre-clash example on eBay maybe a year ago, but it was way out of my budget, and I hadn’t yet had the bright idea to start a picture file on my computer (smacking myself in the forehead now).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file