Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lady Liberty via Generative AI

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2023 12:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

My first experiments in Generative AI for coins.

What do you think?

Do human engravers have anything to worry about yet?

Comments

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 6:39PM

Not at all!

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, especially with that odd alien lettering. A couple of the "Libertys" remind me of Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those bottom four look very Catholic-schoolish...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

That first one looks pretty good, apart from the language and the enigmatic object she's holding in the left hand. But most of the rest are definitely living down near the bottom of the Uncanny Valley.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool 😎

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was your original request?
    Everyone is talking about this lately... I'm a little freaked out.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 9:15PM

@jayPem said:

Definitely being discussed which is why I decided to try it out.

It's amazing to see all the things people are coming up with. I just used a few words to start but some of them had like a hundred words.

The request for the first 4 were:

coin "lady liberty" 2023 dollar "Art Nouveau"

The request for the 2nd 4 were:

coin "lady liberty" gold "art deco" rays

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 9:21PM

Here are some experiments on sculptures. It would be really interesting if it could create 3D models.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting theoretical designs. They all have a specific style, like modern steampunk. Although each design is unique, they overall style is repeated and uncreative.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2023 9:46PM

@jacrispies said:
    Interesting theoretical designs. They all have a specific style, like modern steampunk. Although each design is unique, they overall style is repeated and uncreative.

There's some debate in how much artistry goes into Generative AI because to get it to do something creative you need to feed it a set of words or phrases. The creativity becomes knowing what words to feed in to get the desired output. So there's still a creative process involved, it's just different with other tools.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@zoins If you keep this up (and it would be fun if you d) please tell us what you asked so we can judge how well the AI is doing. When I have asked Dali for drawings it seems to be weak on arms and legs. I think I see this same weakness in your drawings.

Mark

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting results, however, I think if attempted, the coining process would not result as well as the artistry. Striking would not produce the enhanced 3D in reality. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zions and Dcarr need to get together :)<3>:)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Does this one remind you of someone who just found something out and wants some explaining?

Yeah, "Why the hell did you make my head bigger than my torso?!"

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see a couple of these on generic silver rounds...

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are beautiful, yet haunting designs. I can't decide if I like them or not. I work in the IT industry, but am very leery of AI. In fact, I unplugged every single Alexa device in my house and threw them all in the closet because I don't care for being spied on. I even throw my phone in a Faraday box at night for the same reason.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

I posted this video previously. It is from Kitco. An expert in the field discusses the new AI. The first couple minutes is just him saying who he is essentially, then goes into a brief history. Indicates the new AI started with google 'transformer' AI in 2017 (trying to improve language translations) but found it could do way more. They gather information and feed it into a black box. Then let the black box crunch the data and it makes connections in the data. Then throw the data out as it is now all in the crunched black box data. So it does not have a direct connection to new data but still learns from the data it has. A current one started with 750GB of data (IIRC) but have one in the works with 10TB of data (might take a lot of time to crunch that data). This is in the first 10 minutes of the video. Then goes on to discuss future potential and examples. Kind of interesting IF you have any interest in it.

https://www.kitco.com/news/video/show/Market-Analysis/4411/2023-02-20/Will-Chat-GPT-replace-workers-This-is-how-far-AI-can-go---Alan-Thompson#

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

A bit stark or anorexic for this guy. Rubenesque or Hellenistic female form is attractive. IMO

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    edited March 23, 2023 5:31PM

@Namvet69 said:
    A bit stark or anorexic for this guy. Rubenesque or Hellenistic female form is attractive. IMO

Actual female form is attractive.

• Options

@dsessom said:
    They are beautiful, yet haunting designs. I can't decide if I like them or not. I work in the IT industry, but am very leery of AI. In fact, I unplugged every single Alexa device in my house and threw them all in the closet because I don't care for being spied on. I even throw my phone in a Faraday box at night for the same reason.

Shrewd.

• Options
    basalstatebasalstate Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

Here is a seated liberty coin, quite a casual pose.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Does this one remind you of someone who just found something out and wants some explaining?

And the four vs five fingers is intimidating?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@dsessom said:

Shrewd.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:

And...You trust them now? Now, that they're in a closet with the alleged power off.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@dsessom said:

And...You trust them now? Now, that they're in a closet with the alleged power off.

Yeah. No power, no worries. They are all boxed up, and now in a storage shed.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 28, 2023 11:02AM

@dsessom said:

@Coinscratch said:

@dsessom said:

Yeah. No power, no worries. They are all boxed up, and now in a storage shed.

Yeah, that should be alright. I never bought into that stuff. Smelled funny from the beginning.

• Options

@basalstate said:
    Here is a seated liberty coin, quite a casual pose.

Liberty's fallen on hard times, resorting to modeling for mud flaps.

• Options
    wozymodowozymodo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Give me your tired... :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file