Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2015 dime with multiple errors

I am not familiar with coins, however if I come across one that stands out I usually set it aside until I learn more. So any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is post mint damage. Not an error coin.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

The coin has been damaged, post-strike, and isn't an error. If you look at enough coins, eventually, you'll see many others with different types of damage that can occur in an infinite number of ways.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome.

Yes, it is damage, as others have said.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, nice coin?

Vplite99
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

pmd, theres nothing wrong with a question either :)

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

"PMD" is probably meaningless to someone who is not familiar with coins.

Just sayin'. :)

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like it was probably hit by a lawn mower at some point. Pretty deep gouges!

If you are truly interested in collecting coins, I encourage you to drop by your local coin store, if you have one, and buy some inexpensive coins to study. For example, most coin stores sell old worn Buffalo nickels, and "V" nickels for a dollar or two and most are 100+ years old. Pretty cool. :)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

Agreed, but since you feel that way, why not mention what it stands for?: "Post Mint Damage"

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@MasonG said:

Agreed, but since you feel that way, why not mention what it stands for?: "Post Mint Damage"

I read the last couple of replies first and then posted my comment. I came back to edit mine to include "Post Mint Damage" but noticed that somebody had already mentioned it earlier so I didn't bother.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsessom said:
    It looks like it was probably hit by a lawn mower at some point. Pretty deep gouges!

If you are truly interested in collecting coins, I encourage you to drop by your local coin store, if you have one, and buy some inexpensive coins to study. For example, most coin stores sell old worn Buffalo nickels, and "V" nickels for a dollar or two and most are 100+ years old. Pretty cool. :)

If you are interested in error coins, then your local brick and mortar coin store will be of little help.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2023 11:10AM

@MFeld said:

@MasonG said:

Welcome to the forum @Ruby23 . It's a RoadKill. not an error.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

@dsessom said:

If you are interested in error coins, then your local brick and mortar coin store will be of little help.

True enough! But it's a good idea to learn what a "normal" coin should look like, before trying to get into identifying errors on raw coins. A lot can be learned around the Internet as well, but it's always nice to have a real coin in your hand.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another BATH coin.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ruby23... Welcome aboard. Your dime has severe Post Mint Damage (PMD) and has no numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file