1972-D Painted Kennedy Half - UPDATE
OAKSTAR Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 20, 2023 5:58AM in U.S. Coin Forum
The coin is not in very good shape. The paint doesn't help.
The designer initials don't appear to be showing through the paint. If you were going to use solvent,........no, scratch that. If you were going to remove the paint, what would you do?
Soak it in acetone.
Acetone would work. Save the time and just spend it
Paint the rest of it red and sell it on eBay!
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
― Will Rogers
Acetone should work.
Don’t pay an expert for free advice.
Complain about this.
Coins were painted in those days for a reason. For example, a bartender would use a painted coin in a jukebox to get things going in his bar. The hope was that customers would keep the jukebox going and hang out at the bar longer, thus drinking more. Then, when the jukebox owner came around to empty it, he could pick out the bar's coins easily and give them back to him. This "colorizing was done mostly on Quarters. For fun I used to pull all I found out of circulation. On my sampling, red was the most used color, followed by yellow, blue, and green.
Yep.. bar and diner coins.. back when there used to be juke boxes and even player machines at tables... So dining couples could select their music without leaving the table. Cheers, RickO
The stars near the initials are too visible for it to be the no FG variety. Don't waste your time.
That's really interesting. Thanks for that! 👍🏻
be sure to set a high reserve or high BIN price, similar to those extremely rare dateless Buffalo Nickels for $400..
Oh just go at it with some paint thinner and some steel wool. It'll buff right out ...
Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltairehttps://collectivecoin.com/coinbowlllc
Hmm let me just get my paint out....
Type collector, young numismatist.
The acetone worked. The designer initials are there as well.
I'm actually shocked that the acetone worked that well. Good to know.
I had assumed it was enamel paint and would require a soak and scrubbing with paint solvent/thinner.
I didn't know if it was enamel or acrylic but the acetone dissolved it.